Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #11396
Question New to RVing and looked at a Freedom Elite 23H today. Thoughts?

Hey all.. my girlfriend and I are selling our home (closes at the end of the month) and with the profits, we're going to try out this crazy fulltime RV lifestyle. She's wanted to do it forever and finally talked me into it. I travel for work a lot of the year and she loves to travel so the house wasn't really doing us much good.

Short story long, we looked at a 2018 Freedom Elite 23H today and wanted to reach out here and see if anyone had any words of advice regarding this vehicle. Things to look out for, be prepared for, etc.. the good, the bad..

Thanks in advance! :-)

Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There’s folks here who will tell you to avoid Freedom Elites and camping World (maybe even ALL Thor products) but my experience with both has been very positive. My Freedom Elite was a 26HE so I can’t help with your specific model. You certainly will find a significant number of assembly related issues and adjustments and should not be put off by that unfortunate reality. You’ll get the bugs out with a few trips and should have good service thereafter. I’d also suggest that you consider looking at a few larger units. 23ft is pretty small for fulltiming. My wife and I don’t full time but we found our 26 ft class C to be inadequate and traded for a 29 ft class A. It was an expensive learning curve. Of course your needs may be different. In any case, good luck with your choice and new lifestyle.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandk View Post
Hey all.. my girlfriend and I are selling our home (closes at the end of the month) and with the profits, we're going to try out this crazy fulltime RV lifestyle. She's wanted to do it forever and finally talked me into it. I travel for work a lot of the year and she loves to travel so the house wasn't really doing us much good.

Short story long, we looked at a 2018 Freedom Elite 23H today and wanted to reach out here and see if anyone had any words of advice regarding this vehicle. Things to look out for, be prepared for, etc.. the good, the bad..

Thanks in advance! :-)

Hello
We have a 2017 Freedom Elite 26he. We love it. There are issues with any MH you buy. If you are going full time I would go class A or Super C. We suggest bigger than 23. Maybe 26-29.
What ever you decide enjoy.
Regards
Mac & Mattie
Old 04-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
How tall are you and your girlfriend? That bed with the corner cut off is miserable to try to sleep on. I would also suggest a "gently used" unit to:
1) save some money
2) not lose your shirt if you want to sell/upgrade within the next year, year and a half.
3) let the first owner deal with all the bugs associated with a brand new MH.
Just my thoughts for a newbie.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

THOR #11396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’d also suggest that you consider looking at a few larger units. 23ft is pretty small for fulltiming. My wife and I don’t full time but we found our 26 ft class C to be inadequate and traded for a 29 ft class A.
Hey Pete's.. thanks for the reply. We were initially going to build out a Sprinter but considering we have to move straight from the house to the ride, we opted for something bigger. We spent some time in the 23H and it felt pretty spacious.. we're both 5'6". :-P
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #6

THOR #11396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie1 View Post
Hello
What ever you decide enjoy.
Regards
Mac & Mattie
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

THOR #11396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
How tall are you and your girlfriend? That bed with the corner cut off is miserable to try to sleep on. I would also suggest a "gently used" unit to:
1) save some money
2) not lose your shirt if you want to sell/upgrade within the next year, year and a half.
3) let the first owner deal with all the bugs associated with a brand new MH.
Just my thoughts for a newbie.
Thanks for the reply and the info. My gf and I are both 5'6".. the one time when being short will work to my advantage. ha.. The reason we were looking new is because it looks like it's the "get rid of the 2018s" sale and it's marked down a lot. I've definitely heard about the depreciation and the initial bugs. We're hoping the initial warranty works out in our favor for most of those things. Some tweaks to get it more off-grid will be step two..
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on this new and exciting adventure!
(I'll bet that the two of you can't wait to hit the highway! )

I guess that if I have anything useful to add to the pile: i'd suggest that you make sure that you're getting the rig that will suit you the best. Full-timing it in the wrong rig, and become a real drag...
Happy Shopping! Let us know how the process goes!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #9

THOR #11396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations on this new and exciting adventure!
(I'll bet that the two of you can't wait to hit the highway! )

I guess that if I have anything useful to add to the pile: i'd suggest that you make sure that you're getting the rig that will suit you the best. Full-timing it in the wrong rig, and become a real drag...
Happy Shopping! Let us know how the process goes!
Thanks, Bob! We're definitely excited to get moving. I appreciate the advice on size shopping. With me traveling for work as much as I do, I don't think we'll be too cramped too often. We'll definitely know sooner rather than later. haha

We'll definitely be keeping everyone updated on the progress.. and likely asking a million and one questions along the way. :-P
Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #10

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Welcome to RVing! When the wife and I decided to get an RV we originally looked at a 23H but decided against it because of the bed. Crawling in and out was a bit much for my hip replacements. We ended with the RS26 Quantum, same floor plan as the 26HE and love it. As stated above, expect a few bugs. Above all enjoy!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Corner bed? Friends don't let friends buy a coach with corner beds. Can endanger relationships!

Before you decide, check out La Mesa in Phoenix. You would be wise to start out with a good used unit, so if you need to trade to a different coach you won't get hit quite as hard on the trade.

Lean on your new friends here.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Corner bed? Friends don't let friends buy a coach with corner beds. Can endanger relationships!
Lean on your new friends here.
I agree... If someone has to get up in the night: everybody is going to be getting up in the night!

Which is okay... if you can co-ordinate the bathroom trips!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
What got my attention was 'full timing' and 'still working'... as we just did that for 5 months between houses/states. (and for 3 months playing 'snowbirds' the prior two years before biting off the move).
Just some things to think about - no right/wrong, just need to figure what works for you.

I work remotely... between phone and internet connection I can work from 'anywhere'. Some travel - but not 'full time'... Of the 5 months, I was probably traveling for about 40% of the time. Previous years travel was much less.
My 'office' was the front passengers seat. It was winter - and we were in Central FL (so nice weather!) in a 33 foot Hurricane with 2 slides.

For me - it worked fine... lol...
DW might have a different opinion as time went on.
On days where she had to be inside (weather, etc) - 33' became small quickly - hard to get away from my phone calls, etc. with only a sliding door to the bedroom to close.

I know she was glad to get out of the RV after 5 months... and for me to be back in an office with a solid door (still in the house).
The key was my 'working'... Had I been retired, I think longer would have worked and space wouldn't have been an issue.
The RV is now back to vacation usage.

I'm sure 23' wouldn't have worked for us -
Still have too much 'stuff' I 'need' to consider full timing... My workshop won't fit. lol... But of course it is what works for you where you are in your life.

Best of luck on the adventure - whatever you decide to get!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom elite 23h