Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 2
THOR #31019
Comments Requested

Hi everyone. My wife Cindy and myself Russ are new to the motorhome community. We purchased A2023 Thor resonant 29d last May 2023. Right after we bought it we put it in storage for the summer because we’ve got a place up north on Lake Erie that we go to from June through September. Ok so we get back to Florida and had other issues to attend to before we could check out our new MH. So In December we took it out to an RV park close to home locally so if anything was wrong, we wouldn’t be in a bad predicament about being so far away from home. Well, we found issues with it so when we returned from our trip, we brought it over to Camping World for them to take care of items because they were covered under warranty. It was at the dealership to for repair for approximately a month while they ordered parts and made the repairs. We had scheduled another trip locally with some friends who have an RV and so when they service SHOP called to say that they had repaired it I went and picked it up. I noticed it didn’t feel right is making a noise but it just felt bad and something was wrong with the the brakes or something every time I slow down and sped up it just kind of felt funny. And the dash heat was not working. I brought it to a Ford dealership and they found the transmission was bad and had to re-order another transmission so they got a new transmission they put in and while test driving it it was still making some noises and they found that the differential was bad.
No, I contacted Ford motorcoach division that makes the chassis and we had a three-way conversation with THOR motorhome corporation who does the motorhome portion and they’re gonna get back with me within a couple of days and try to decide what we’re gonna do. My thing is OK this is all been repaired and hopefully, it’s working right. I should be getting compensated somewhat for this and I’m just wondering if anybody out there has had issues with Ford like this and what kind of compensation should I be asking that would fair to me for all the problems I’ve been going through. Any comments would be appreciated.

__________________
Martinruss49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
Posts: 1,790
THOR #20289
You will never get compensated for the months of out of service time you suffered, ie loan payments you still had to make when you couldn’t use your MH.

But ask for something that has value to you but may not cost Ford anything like an extended warranty.

But both transmission and differential failure on a new chassis. Wow!

David
__________________
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:52 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.5
State: Louisiana
Posts: 27
THOR #31821
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
You will never get compensated for the months of out of service time you suffered, ie loan payments you still had to make when you couldn’t use your MH.

But ask for something that has value to you but may not cost Ford anything like an extended warranty.

But both transmission and differential failure on a new chassis. Wow!

David
Good advice, an extended warranty is something either Ford or Thor could do to make it right, and they most likely will if you ask. Hopefully you get everything squared away!
__________________
Davii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,869
THOR #14698
WOW! The trans AND differential going out at the same time is almost unheard of!
Thankfully for you Ford stepped up and it sounds like made it right in a timely manner.
You can ask, but I am not sure how either Thor or Ford will respond to giving you an extended warranty for your troubles. They are only legally obligated to fulfill the warranties you already have. Quite honestly if you had not parked the rig for several months after purchase the issues would have been found and addressed sooner.
IMHO if you ask for some gratus in the form of extra warranty or other compensation and both Thor and Ford refuse I wouldn't stew on it. I would get out there and enjoy my new rig. Good Luck and Safe Travels.
Mark
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,141
THOR #16721
To clarify, a 2023 motorhome usually has a 2022 chassis/drivetrain but is titled as 2023 complete unit. So those "bad" components were less than two years old with VERY minimal use? This WAS a new motorhome, correct?

VERY unlikely that the most robust components in a drivetrain would COMPLETELY FAIL. I could understand maybe certain subassemblies needing replacing for failure... but NO WAY the entire transmission AND differential!

You unfortunately found a horrible combination... a Ford service center who just guessed. Then somehow gets authorization to THROW PARTS at a problem they're too lazy to solve. Then there's Camping World...

Getting an extension on the Ford factory warranty is probably a smart choice. NOW... cut your losses and RUN from that Ford service center! Immediately cut ties and find another reputable one. AND forget Camping World altogether! Have you read reviews of their service practices??

Seriously, you won't get any monetary compensation for loss of use. That falls under "cut your losses". And do you REALLY want to start a legal action (which could take years) for a few thousand bucks??

In summary...
With extended warranty in hand, do some research - read local reviews - find a reputable repair facility. On coach (house) related items, either fix yourself (with help from this forum and YouTube), OR call a mobile RV tech.

Think about it... you just want your motorhome to WORK... and allow you to enjoy travel! Keeping that focus will help you avoid taking a path of least resistance (hoping a third party will automagically fix it).

And remember... "luck" has nothing to do with your solution. Common sense, a logical approach and perseverance have EVERYTHING to do with it!
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 333
THOR #30073
FWIW, we bought an '18 Axis last year with only 3500 miles. The steering wheel was way off, so I took it to a truck dealer for an alignment (No Ford warranty, but zI do have after market service contract) and they found bad A arms bushings, bad wheel bearings, and, of course, the alignment.The service people see a lot of that!
As it was explained to me (I am near Elkhart where Thor factories are) the AHs that shuttle chassis to factory play racing games in the lots and totally F up the front ends.
All's well, though, that ends well. The service contract covered all but the alignment and bearings, as they said they were maintence items.
__________________
2018 Axis 25.2 V10; 2021 Genesis GV80 3.5
SGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,434
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
To clarify, a 2023 motorhome usually has a 2022 chassis/drivetrain but is titled as 2023 complete unit. So those "bad" components were less than two years old with VERY minimal use? This WAS a new motorhome, correct?

VERY unlikely that the most robust components in a drivetrain would COMPLETELY FAIL. I could understand maybe certain subassemblies needing replacing for failure... but NO WAY the entire transmission AND differential!

You unfortunately found a horrible combination... a Ford service center who just guessed. Then somehow gets authorization to THROW PARTS at a problem they're too lazy to solve. Then there's Camping World...

Getting an extension on the Ford factory warranty is probably a smart choice. NOW... cut your losses and RUN from that Ford service center! Immediately cut ties and find another reputable one. AND forget Camping World altogether! Have you read reviews of their service practices??

Seriously, you won't get any monetary compensation for loss of use. That falls under "cut your losses". And do you REALLY want to start a legal action (which could take years) for a few thousand bucks??

In summary...
With extended warranty in hand, do some research - read local reviews - find a reputable repair facility. On coach (house) related items, either fix yourself (with help from this forum and YouTube), OR call a mobile RV tech.

Think about it... you just want your motorhome to WORK... and allow you to enjoy travel! Keeping that focus will help you avoid taking a path of least resistance (hoping a third party will automagically fix it).

And remember... "luck" has nothing to do with your solution. Common sense, a logical approach and perseverance have EVERYTHING to do with it!

Why run from the Ford dealer? I thought he did well to find a Ford dealer to work on a my.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
Posts: 4,141
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Why run from the Ford dealer? I thought he did well to find a Ford dealer to work on a my.
Equivalent to a primary care doctor with an Rx pad glued to their hip... which tells me they're not interested in TRULY fixing your vehicle PROPERLY... just throwing parts until the noise hopefully goes away. Is diagnosing mechanical problems a lost art??

Surely there's more than one Ford dealer in the area?
__________________
Chateau_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 5,623
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinruss49 View Post
My thing is OK this is all been repaired and hopefully, it’s working right. I should be getting compensated somewhat for this and I’m just wondering if anybody out there has had issues with Ford like this and what kind of compensation should I be asking that would fair to me for all the problems I’ve been going through. Any comments would be appreciated.
I would sell, buy another coach of your preference. I am not hoping for anything.

You seem to well funded and you also seem to have time on your side. Unless you grossly overpaid, I wouldn't waste my time fighting for table scraps against corporate entities.

Now I know I am in the minority here, but the LAST THING I would do is get an extended warranty. I get you hoping it might be goodwilled or free, but if you can convince me why I should have the extended warranty, I am going to agree with you; sell and buy something else.

How Camping World is still in business may be the greatest unsolved mystery I know of in the RV World.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:42 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,869
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Why run from the Ford dealer? I thought he did well to find a Ford dealer to work on a mh.
I agree. If I read the OP's post correctly, they have replaced a transmission and a rear end on Ford's dime.
If the Ford dealership is shooting a "parts cannon" at the OP's F53 chassis it is one expensive canon.
I worked at a Chrysler dealership as a tech in the olden days.
My Gson now works as a tech for BMW. Some things haven't changed in the 50 years since I turned wrenches. A service tech is not allowed to arbitrarily change out trans & rear end without authorization from someone up the corporate ladder. Usually the guy/gal making the decision to drop that kind of coin on a warranty job is a regional service rep.
So why now that the OP's 2022 F53 chassis has a new trans and rear end why would you run away from it?
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:50 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bob Nodine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
Posts: 696
THOR #21926
I can't imagine buying a new RV and not giving it a full shake down the day I left the dealership. I would have delayed the trip up north until the RV was checked out.
__________________
Bob
2022 Quantum JM31
2023 Colorado Z71
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 2,434
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
I can't imagine buying a new RV and not giving it a full shake down the day I left the dealership. I would have delayed the trip up north until the RV was checked out.
Or waited to buy one when you came back. I wonder if the steering joints were greased. Many threads on here about dry joints and rear ends.
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:43 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
HMCSW's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
Posts: 843
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinruss49 View Post
Hi everyone. My wife Cindy and myself Russ are new to the motorhome community. We purchased A2023 Thor resonant 29d last May 2023. Right after we bought it we put it in storage for the summer because we’ve got a place up north on Lake Erie that we go to from June through September. Ok so we get back to Florida and had other issues to attend to before we could check out our new MH. So In December we took it out to an RV park close to home locally so if anything was wrong, we wouldn’t be in a bad predicament about being so far away from home. Well, we found issues with it so when we returned from our trip, we brought it over to Camping World for them to take care of items because they were covered under warranty. It was at the dealership to for repair for approximately a month while they ordered parts and made the repairs. We had scheduled another trip locally with some friends who have an RV and so when they service SHOP called to say that they had repaired it I went and picked it up. I noticed it didn’t feel right is making a noise but it just felt bad and something was wrong with the the brakes or something every time I slow down and sped up it just kind of felt funny. And the dash heat was not working. I brought it to a Ford dealership and they found the transmission was bad and had to re-order another transmission so they got a new transmission they put in and while test driving it it was still making some noises and they found that the differential was bad.
No, I contacted Ford motorcoach division that makes the chassis and we had a three-way conversation with THOR motorhome corporation who does the motorhome portion and they’re gonna get back with me within a couple of days and try to decide what we’re gonna do. My thing is OK this is all been repaired and hopefully, it’s working right. I should be getting compensated somewhat for this and I’m just wondering if anybody out there has had issues with Ford like this and what kind of compensation should I be asking that would fair to me for all the problems I’ve been going through. Any comments would be appreciated.
Since you have been working with Ford already, asking for an extended warranty or maintenance on the chassis is reasonable. I had a car's engine loose a cylinder within two month of purchase. The manufacture provided like model loaner for the 6 weeks, waved two months of payments, and gave me a shopping spree in the accessory catalog.
__________________
2021 Aria 3401
2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - toad
2010 Porsche Boxster(trailered)
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 2,699
THOR #11781
I believe the compensation is that they fix the issue under warranty. I don't remember hearing of any manufacturer warranty that compensates for lack of unit readiness.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
DogLovers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
Posts: 938
THOR #6280
RV insurance

My auto and rv insurance covers rental reimbursement for breakdowns, possibly yours does also. If it's broke well then you need to rent a replacement until yours is repaired. Next time just drop it off at the shop and call for a temporary quality rental unit and go off on vacation.
__________________
Bill & Martha more than 46 years.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2