Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2018, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12613
Smile Compass 23TR

We purchased a Thor Compass 23TR in May, trading in a truck, small lance trailer and an old Alpenlite Camper. Prime reason was to get something Jane could drive without the hassles of mounting the camper, hooking up the trailer etc. We really like the Compass. Rear slide out bed is very nice.The 3 liter 5 cylinder Ford Turbodiesel has lots of torque and did very well in a 3250 mile shakedown cruise through Or, Id, Co, Ut, Nv and back to Mount Shasta CA. We averaged 16.6 mpg! Lots better than 11.3 hauling a lance 1685 with a Ford F350 Super Duty. We had issues with the fit and finish. The privacy glass on the door fell off and the adhesive strip was only partially in contact. Several screws in the screen door fell out, or were loose. I replaced with oversized fasteners using Locktite. Several screws fell out of the cabinet hinges. Most of the screws had no purchase and were small, #6 or smaller. I replaced all with #10-1/2" screws. The pull down shade over the galley came crashing down. The brackets holding the shades in place have small screws and many had no purchase. Replaced all with oversize fasteners. The cover over the sky window separated from the ceiling, and the Compass is going back to the dealer for warranty repair. I tested the fresh water tank today and it holds only~20 gal, not the 31 gal given in the vehicle spec. The rear suspension needs beefing up. The back is so low it was difficult to connect the sewer hose at times. We bottomed out many times. We only carry a modest load. Suomo air springs (not inflatable or adjustable) are going in by the dealer. Nobody makes inflatable air springs for this vehicle, presumably because the clearances are so low. The Suomos should raise the rear end and give better clearance and a smoother ride. I believe bolt on helper springs will also fit and will add them if not happy with the Suomos. All of these are relatively minor problems similar to those we have had with two campers and two trailers over the last 12 years. This is a great little RV with a powerful engine, although only 185 HP but lots of torque.

We are Dick and Jane. In our earlier 70's. We love wildlife photography and frequent the many great birding spots in the West, and in the East.
New 2017 Thor Compass 23TR.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our little place in the Sun!
Glad to hear that in spite of some... issues : you're still digging your rig!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRE View Post
We purchased a Thor Compass 23TR in May, trading in a truck, small lance trailer and an old Alpenlite Camper. Prime reason was to get something Jane could drive without the hassles of mounting the camper, hooking up the trailer etc. We really like the Compass. Rear slide out bed is very nice.The 3 liter 5 cylinder Ford Turbodiesel has lots of torque and did very well in a 3250 mile shakedown cruise through Or, Id, Co, Ut, Nv and back to Mount Shasta CA. We averaged 16.6 mpg! Lots better than 11.3 hauling a lance 1685 with a Ford F350 Super Duty. We had issues with the fit and finish. The privacy glass on the door fell off and the adhesive strip was only partially in contact. Several screws in the screen door fell out, or were loose. I replaced with oversized fasteners using Locktite. Several screws fell out of the cabinet hinges. Most of the screws had no purchase and were small, #6 or smaller. I replaced all with #10-1/2" screws. The pull down shade over the galley came crashing down. The brackets holding the shades in place have small screws and many had no purchase. Replaced all with oversize fasteners. The cover over the sky window separated from the ceiling, and the Compass is going back to the dealer for warranty repair. I tested the fresh water tank today and it holds only~20 gal, not the 31 gal given in the vehicle spec. The rear suspension needs beefing up. The back is so low it was difficult to connect the sewer hose at times. We bottomed out many times. We only carry a modest load. Suomo air springs (not inflatable or adjustable) are going in by the dealer. Nobody makes inflatable air springs for this vehicle, presumably because the clearances are so low. The Suomos should raise the rear end and give better clearance and a smoother ride. I believe bolt on helper springs will also fit and will add them if not happy with the Suomos. All of these are relatively minor problems similar to those we have had with two campers and two trailers over the last 12 years. This is a great little RV with a powerful engine, although only 185 HP but lots of torque.

We are Dick and Jane. In our earlier 70's. We love wildlife photography and frequent the many great birding spots in the West, and in the East.
New 2017 Thor Compass 23TR.

Welcome,I love my Gemini,Let us know how you like the Sumos
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass 23tr, problems, suomo, suspension