Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #20465
Considering First Motorhome - 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24HE

Good morning!

We are in the market for our first motorhome and have decided that Class C is right for our family. There is a unit for sale 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24HE that interests us. Any advice from this group? Thank you!!!

Terese

Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5@SIDESHIVE View Post
Good morning!

We are in the market for our first motorhome and have decided that Class C is right for our family. There is a unit for sale 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24HE that interests us. Any advice from this group? Thank you!!!

Terese

It’s a nice basic coach and perhaps just the right age to have worked most of the bugs out. I would strongly recommend a VERY thorough inspection. Try everything. On battery power and shore power and hooked up to shore water as well as using the tank/pump. Run the generator, check for abnormal wear on the tires. Go up on the roof and look for little cracks in the sealant. (Such cracks are not a problem they happen every few months and are easily fixed but need to be addressed - keeping water out is one of the biggest maintenance items on any RV). Try all the windows, open the awning, run the furnace and water heater. That sort of stuff. Plan on spending a couple of hours before you sign anything. Since it’s your first coach try to bring someone more experienced with you. Or you can hire a professional inspector to check it out for you (just like you’d do for a house). Or if you don’t want to do any of that ask to have one of the service guys demonstrate everything for you. They are used to doing that so don’t hesitate. If possible try to stay on the dealers lot your first night or two so you can ask questions, get repairs or buy your first batch (of many you’ll be buying!) of accessories. Try to have fun but do be thorough.

And welcome to a really fine forum. Ask anything and you’ll get lots of experienced help! Enjoy your adventures.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #3

THOR #20465
Thanks!!!!

Thanks so much for this awesome reply! The unit has less than 3000 miles and it is FSBO - an elderly couple who had been RVing for years. They seem very honest. It is like new. We feel like it has what we need and nothing that we don't need which is probably a good first RV choice. I am looking at it again and will do a better inspection. It's overwhelming to consider all the models out there!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. 5@SIDESHIVE gave you great advice. Make sure EVERYTHING works!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Sorry meant to say Pete's MH gave good advice.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire. Cut yourselves some marshmallow sticks, and grab some chairs!
About the RV: I'd have someone go with you to the final pre-delivery inspection. Find someone who can verify that all systems work as they should, and that the RV is what the sellers say it is.
Good luck!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 PM   #7

THOR #20465
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2020, 12:36 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget to drive it around and look under the hood at the oil/water and battery. Check out the house batteries. You might want to use your cell phone and video the demo of everything and what is being said to you during the final inspection. Take notes and ask them questions about how things work and about any warranty that might come with it.

Good luck
Paul
Old 09-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
BC1

Model: 24HE
THOR #20090
Just bought same unit

I just bought this same model a couple of weeks ago 2018 Freedom Elite 24HE. I love it. I can see some things where the workmanship is not quality but nothing huge. I had one problem on my first trip out with it and another one that I'm going to check on my next trip but it was easily troubleshooted. I know lots of things can and probably will go wrong so I figure as long as I have that mindset it will help me deal with them as they come up and enjoy it while I can. I've had 6 other RVs in the past and got lucky as far as problems except one brand new MH with leak that had to go back to factory in Indiana (long story worked out well).

As far as the actual unit goes, I LOVE it. It is an absolutely perfect layout for the two of us and a dog. Very very spacious with the full wall slide. Didn't once feel cramped and the bathroom has good space for an RV (I've had worse). Drives good (its a little louder than I'd like but not terrible). Very easy to maneuver. Best thing is it is short in size at 24' 9" but feels so big inside. Only change I may make down the road if we end up keeping it is to replace the dinette with recliners. Kids are all grown so recliners serve better purpose than a dinette.

Good luck if you buy it!!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #10

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I have a 2017 Four Winds 24F that is almost the same as the coach you are looking at. Ours has been good to us...some issues..but overall a good experience. Pete's MH advice is spot on and I'll add my 2 cents as an owner.

1. Make sure the generator runs. From the description of the owners and mileage I doubt the time was take to run the genset once a month.

2. Make sure the fridge runs on propane and electric - shore power and genset.

3. Run the furnace.

4. Run the hot water heater on propane and electric.

5. These coaches tend to leak water in the cab over area. Climb up there and smell for mold. Look around the cab over window for signs of water leaks. Look at the mattresses and storage covers for signs of water damage. Take the storage covers off as well as the mattresses in the cab over and look at the wood finish. It will be easy to tell if there is water damage.

6. Take a hose and run water over the front of the coach on the cab over area and look for leaks coming in. Also run water on the cab over window - they leak. Thor uses a cheap seal around them - easy to fix.

7. The slide should go out an in smoothly - no binding. With the slide out look for wear signs on the tracks.

8. Remember - slide goes all the way out and keep pressing the extend button for 5 seconds after it stops Same on the way in. Do not stop the slide mid extend or retract - not recommended.

Over the past 3 years I have disassembled and reassembled my coach to fix issues after warranty. I've also seen my model being built at Thor. IMHO I have a pretty good working knowledge of the innards and outers of the coach. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I also live in NC on the coast in OIB.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #11

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
PS - be prepared to replace the coach battery. There is enough room for 2 under the steps and it is worth putting 2 in. Lots of advice on coach batteries on this fourm.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:20 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
We bought the exact same coach in January this year so if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them. We are 2 plus an 18 month old and it's been about perfect size for us.
Like BC1 I also plan on removing the dinette and putting something different in there but there is the water heater and some plumbing and electrical under it so that'll be a bit of a challenge. The dinette has to be made into a bed during travel to fit our son's car seat anyway and I think we can make better use of the space with a sofa against the window and a recliner if i can get the other stuff figured out.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:43 AM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Ask away and someone will have an answer for you. Enjoy the new open road lifestyle.

Paul
Old 09-27-2020, 03:32 AM   #14

State: Arizona
THOR #13531
Welcome to the forum , I recommend you do what Pete wrote out and add a complete look underneath the MH for what is sealed and foamed , and what needs some more foam and sealant . Check the propane lines for kinks , check electrical lines big and small wires for good clamp support . You may find areas that need to be sealed or foamed so water does not get in your MH . Invest in a Klein multipurpose screwdriver , locate the fresh water tank and notice the RED valve that drains tank and smaller chrome valves that open and close on the Blue and Red Pex water lines and follow them to the water pump . Locate all access panels in the MH to the water heater , sinks , shower . Check Shower wall that meets shower floor for a bead of chalking to keep water from leaking underneath . Take sink draws out to check Pex water line connections . Find House battery location and check water levels . Invest in multimeter and a Hydrometer to check battery cells and see about someone you may know that could come along with you that has a MH . Make sure you see location of generator , how to check oil , breaker switch , primer and start switch ,locate fuel filter and where you drain the generator oil . Have fun and good luck .
Old 09-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #15

THOR #4227
My wife and I have a Thor Freedom Elite 21 footer.It is a Ford chassis with the v10.When we retire in the future,we will get something larger, Preferably with a bed that you can walk around both sides and definitely with a larger bathroom. Having said that we love our freedom elite.It has been very good to us and super reliable. Another member mentioned the quality is not as high as they would like, that is the trade off of all RVs. In order to keep them light weight as possible and also to keep the cost down they have to cut corners somewhere and unfortunately that usually ends up being the material.You wont be sorry with that unit.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wonder if they bought it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Since they are asking for recommendations on leveling systems I would assume they did.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #18888
We have a Freedom Elite and just love it.
ChrisCruises on all other social platforms
2020 Thor Freedom Elite
ChrisCruises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #20

THOR #20465
We did buy it and we love it!!! Heading to our first Harvest Host this weekend. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the great advice!!!

Tags
2018, thor 24he