Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #27689
Considering a Thor Magnitude. Any thoughts?

Hello friends,
Rambler61 here. I’m new to this forum, but not new to RVing. We’ve had our ups and downs the past few years and looking to get back out there.

We started with a 35’ TT to see if we’d enjoy RVing. Loved it, traded up to a Phaeton. Had it for 6 years, but the most it was used was in the first year due to a variety of health issues, interstate move, taking a while to sell the house, then Covid. Loved it, but decided to downsize so we could spend time in national and state parks, not just RV resorts and parks. Got a Winnebago View. It was too small and DW insisted we trade back up, but due to Covid, all we could find was an Entegra Emblem. We aren’t fond of it, and now we are looking to trade again.

The Magnitude Super C has had my attention for a while now, and now that the bigger floorplans are on the F-600, with the exhaust brake (earlier versions didn’t seem to have it) it has me pretty excited.

We are looking at the RS36 or the BT36 as possible options. I’ve had a chance to drive the BT36, but lean towards the RS36 because of the bunks/storage/dog bed space. On the other hand, we prefer the stackable washer/dryer to the combo, but could live with the combo.

Does anyone here know if the BT has one black and one gray tank? Or are there two each? This is one of the pet peeves I have with my Entegra, two water closets in that rig mean two black and two gray tanks, with valves on both sides of the coach. It is a pain to deal with. I prefer one gray and one black.

Can anyone chime in with “this is what is great” and “this is what isn’t so great” about the Magnitude/Omni twins? Anyone have any particular comments about the two floorplans we are considering?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2022, 08:13 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751

You will want to read some of my posts as well as other owner’s posts. I got one of the very first Magnitude SV34’s back in 2019. It has been a love - hate relationship.

I’m in the middle of a 7-week trip out west and have over 22,000 miles on it now. The Ford F550 Chassis has been bulletproof….. but this year I did decide to upgrade to adjustable shocks and a bigger rear sway bar to improve the ride and handling a bit more.

Besides the typically poor quality and workmanship across most models and bugs that will need to be worked out over time, there are two large achilles heels with the Omni / Magnitude.

The first is the front cap and cab-over bunk attachment to the house and cab. Thor uses too few screws that are also too small. After a few thousand miles they start pushing through the molding that runs from just behind the bottom of the driver side door, over the roof and down the passenger side. Mine got to the point where you could see the front cap flex while leveling and a gap would even form where the cap met the cab.

I took it to the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa (where they acknowledged this is a common problem). They put larger screws and more screws in… but after about 18 months and 12,000 miles, the problem has reappeared during this trip.

One of the members on this forum (kwplot34) tore his cab-over bunk apart and installed stainless bolts, washers and nuts and his front cap is holding up well. He also added a better aluminum floor structure for the bunk and added insulation.

The problem is two-fold. First, it is a horrible design having a large front cap hanging well past the windshield. You can watch it bounce and flex driving down the road… especially rough roads. Go look at a Renegade Super C front cap and you will see it stops at the windshield. The second problem is Thor manufacturing should be using bolts with nuts and not screws and a better adhesive bonding agent around the entire seam.

The other problem is the heavy, full-wall slide and Thor using the Scwintek Slide mechanism. Other Thor models with large, heavy slides have a similar problem. The Schwintek mechanism is not robust enough and it has some design inefficiencies as well that prevent it from being a reliable slide mechanism. I think it is safe to say that more than 70% of these heavy full-wall slides will eventually have a failure or multiple failures. Out of warranty the costs to repair the mechanism can be $500 - $2000 per repair.

The Scwintek system usess nylon / plastic V-rollers under the tracks. They also use a single small set screw to hold the motors down and four alignment pins to keep the motor from spinning. There is so much torque with the 500:1 motors they can start to try and lift out of the bearing block and eventually bend or shear off the set screw.

After two slide failures I had the Scwintek Slide Mechanism replaced last October with the Vroom Slide System, which is a far superior slide system. It cost me $2500 (now over $3000) but it was money well spent.

I used to say the Rosary every time before opening or closing the slide and would avoid using it as little as possible. Now I open and close it just for fun. Vroom uses four bolts to mount the motor to his pinion gear housing. He also uses heavy duty bearings and a larger geat and deeper track. You can hear the difference opening and closing the slide. Laying the Scwintek components next to the Vroom components, you can clealy see the difference and how much better the Vroom design and components are.

Other than that… we love our Magnitude and the SV34 floor plan. We have had some great trips in it. But I have put countless hours and more money than I want to admit to get it where it needed to be. And now I’m going to need to rebuild my front cap like kwplot34 did on his XG32 before we head to Alaska next year so that the roads on the way up and back don’t shake the coach so much the front cap falls off the coach!

You will find people on here that love them and a couple whonhave had only minor issues. You will also find people who sold after a few months and took big losses because they couldn’t take it any more.

If I knew now what I didn’t know then, I would have spent the extra money and bought a Renegade or Dynamax Super C. The MSRP has gone up over $60K on my model since I bought it and there is no way I would have paid more than I did for it…. and I paid 30% off MSRP at the time and I got almost what I paid for the coach I traded in for it.

Good luck! [emoji106]
Old 09-11-2022, 10:58 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
2020 BH 35 here, and as Judge said, it's a love/hate relationship. The BT 36 is the same floorplan as the BH35. We looked at the bunk model, but found them a bit small, and we really wanted the ability to wee on the road, so it was the BH 35 for us.

I love the floorplan, the Ford F550 chassis, the storage and the amenities.

Like a lot of Magnitude/Omni owners, we've had to have the cap repaired (under warranty thank heaven).

I had to rebuild the battery box to swap out the crappy stock batteries for three AGMs for our solar setup.

After less than two years we had our first big slide motor failure. I had a 2012 Voltage 3200 for 9 years with no motor failures. It's going to Tucson in November for the Vroom upgrade.

The motorized shade over the front cabover window is a piece of crap. I've had it fixed under warranty twice, and it still doesn't work right. It's an inconvenience, but for what I paid for it, I expect it to work.

The BT36 has two black tanks like our BH35. Besides having two cleanouts, the front bath black tank has less than ideal drainage. The problem is that it's a wide, flat, shallow tank that drains all the way across the unit. It almost immediately forms the dreaded poop pyramid, and is a bugger to clean out if left unattended. It's bad enough that we have a NO POOP emoji sign on the front bath. There is only one grey tank, and the cleanout is in the driver side center along with the front black tank cleanout. The master bath cleanout is all the way in the back.

Overall, we love it. Despite the problems, it's by far the best RV we've ever owned as far as comfort and function. But Thor has continued to build these motorhomes with the same problems for years, despite customer feedback. Some actuary must have crunched the numbers and concluded that they make more money turning out what they do and paying for warranty repairs than what it would cost to re-design them properly.

In my case, I bought my unit for a little more than 35% off retail because I got the last unit on the lot of a small RV dealer in Yuma, and I was willing to drive it back to Utah. Back then MSRP was 225K. At 299K now, I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger.

The Dynamax and Renegade are, as Judge points out, good alternatives if we've managed to scare you away.

Happy travels no matter what you decide!
2022 Jeep Sahara EcoDiesel (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:26 AM   #4

Model: SV34
THOR #24580
My 2 cents as a “still working/not retired yet” Mag/Omni SV34 owner for a year - We have put on 4,000 miles 63 nights with some issues that needed to be addressed.

Issues we have experienced have not been totally unexpected due to this forum. Our slide hardware has been upgraded to Vroom, the front cab/cap has been refastened with more robust hardware on each side. Total extra money spent on repairs/enhancements to this point is approx $4,000. Is this acceptable? NO - but we enjoy the damn coach and it’s treating us better and better every day that goes by.

Take Judges advice and read though his posts and others talking about the issues we have all had.

In my opinion its still a great Super C “Light” for the money. The next step up is anther $75 to $100K and still won’t be problem free.

Do your research, budget for the unexpected, buy it right, be prepared for repairs, don’t rely on your dealer and get out and enjoy…
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:17 AM   #5

State: Mississippi
THOR #27952
BH35 review

We purchased a 2021 Thor BH35 last year. from Camping World. This is our third motorhome and we previously owned two diesel pushers before this RV. I have been pleased with the performance of the 6.7 diesel and the mobility of the coach. The BH35 is the most comfortable RV I have driven and does not fatigue me after a long day of driving. The turning radius is great and I can maneuver into places I couldn’t have before. This is our favorite RV to date.
However, I do want to share some of the challenges and observations I have made after a year of ownership and 8000 miles.

The reliable operation of the bedroom slide in the BH35 has been an issue for us from day one. In fact, the bedroom slide failed to operate during the purchase walkthrough. The slide will extend about 3 inches and get out of line and stop. Once this happens the slide will not retract nor continue to extend. This requires that the dual motor slide controller be re synced to allow the slide to operate. This was originally a random occurrence but has become necessary each time the slide is used. Recently the reset button on the slide controller fell off (assuming due to over use) rendering the board useless. The RV was in my driveway with the bedroom slide extended. I called Camping World and they indicated they could order a controller (long lead time and $400) but it wouldn’t be covered under warranty since they could not verify that the board was bad without inspecting it in place. I found one on Amazon, ordered it, and had it replaced in a few days. I also have a spare in case the existing one goes out. The RV has been to Camping World twice with no resolution.

Originally the issues were with the bedroom slide however the living room slide is doing the same now.
It’s currently in the shop for the third time.

Battery Isolation Manager:
Omni’s has a systemic issue with the battery isolation manager being wired backward. CW checked my unit and found that the battery isolation manager was wired backward. Camping World fixed the issue and charged me ~$150.00 as the factory warranty is expired. Not sure why I’m being charged for what is clearly a factory-related issue.

Tankless hot water heater: Great idea in theory but not practical for my application. Typically we conserved hot water by turning off the flow of water in the middle portion of the shower while lathering. This is problematic with the tankless heater as once the water is turned off, when turned back on, the water is cold and takes a while to regulate. It’s not a problem if you have full hookups as you can leave the water on during the shower but will fill the grey water tank if dry camping. Also the water heaters only operate on propane and will not run on shore power when connected. Sometimes the water heater thermostat throws a code and won’t heat the water. Typically if the water is turned off and back on at the sink, the code will clear.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler61 View Post
Hello friends,
Rambler61 here. I’m new to this forum, but not new to RVing. We’ve had our ups and downs the past few years and looking to get back out there.

We started with a 35’ TT to see if we’d enjoy RVing. Loved it, traded up to a Phaeton. Had it for 6 years, but the most it was used was in the first year due to a variety of health issues, interstate move, taking a while to sell the house, then Covid. Loved it, but decided to downsize so we could spend time in national and state parks, not just RV resorts and parks. Got a Winnebago View. It was too small and DW insisted we trade back up, but due to Covid, all we could find was an Entegra Emblem. We aren’t fond of it, and now we are looking to trade again.

The Magnitude Super C has had my attention for a while now, and now that the bigger floorplans are on the F-600, with the exhaust brake (earlier versions didn’t seem to have it) it has me pretty excited.

We are looking at the RS36 or the BT36 as possible options. I’ve had a chance to drive the BT36, but lean towards the RS36 because of the bunks/storage/dog bed space. On the other hand, we prefer the stackable washer/dryer to the combo, but could live with the combo.

Does anyone here know if the BT has one black and one gray tank? Or are there two each? This is one of the pet peeves I have with my Entegra, two water closets in that rig mean two black and two gray tanks, with valves on both sides of the coach. It is a pain to deal with. I prefer one gray and one black.

Can anyone chime in with “this is what is great” and “this is what isn’t so great” about the Magnitude/Omni twins? Anyone have any particular comments about the two floorplans we are considering?

Thanks in advance!
Well, after reading these posts, do you still want a Magnitude?
Old 09-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #7

THOR #27689
Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far.

I have read some of Judge, Ottosails, and Greaybear’s posts before. First time seeing JRandyBruce. Seems like everyone has similar issues. I’m still interested. One point that caught my eye was JRandyBruce’s comment that this is their favorite rig, even after two diesel pushers. As far as driving is concerned, I’d have to agree. I did test drive an Omni, and loved the way it drove. I’ve had an F-350 before so I am familiar with the engine (although this is tuned differently than the 350).

I guess my next step is to think over the issues that it seems like everyone has, and decide if I’m willing to live with them or proactively re-engineer things like changing the slide to Vroom right out of the gate, and ripping the overhead bunk apart to add bolts instead of just screws. I don’t really think I want to go up to the next level of Super C because that kind of defeats the purpose, and it really isn’t a money issue. I’d be back to driving something that simply isn’t as comfortable to drive.

Thanks again. If there are any more thoughts, let me know.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #8

Model: Magnitude
THOR #26219
One other issue to be expressed is the inability to use diesel fuel pumps at truck stops. My Magnitude simply cannot handle the high flow due to the pump constantly shutting off. According to Thor, it is a Ford issue. Ford disagrees. In any event, I have not found anyone who is willing to address the twisted fuel lines that are causing this. I would not buy this RV again. The concept is great, but for this and other reasons already stated, I find it fatally flawed.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
As others said, I too have these issues.
Trade, sale, NO. I love my super c.
I plan on living with these issues, why, they are known, smart people here have excellent advise on repairs, and I am pretty handy.
So knowing all that, good luck and enjoy if you choose.
Terry

Ps. Mine does work on the high flow truck pumps, but only on the first click. I did put hose clamps on where the rubber hose wants to kink.
My def fill was the same issue.
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:22 PM   #10

State: Mississippi
THOR #27952
Ford Service: One thing that attracted me to the Omni was the Ford chassis. I believed that it would be possible to pull into any Ford dealer had have warranty or service work done on the F550. This is not the case in my area as most local dealers don’t have the shop space to fit the RV and won’t work on them. After reaching out to several dealers in my area for warranty work, I was directed to my closest Ford commercial dealer who is 6 hours away.

I’ll say again that the Omni is great to drive. It has good power and has a comfortable ride.

I had an issue with the rear tank taking fuel at first but both fuel nozzles handle truck stop flow rates now. Maybe not full rate but 1/2 open.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:46 PM   #11

THOR #12751

I can only use high-flow diesel pumps at a trickle. I had the Thor Factory Service Center check it out early on. It wasn’t any issues with kinks, etc. The issue is there is a 90 degree elbow shortly after the fill ports for the hoses to run to the tanks. That is enough restriction to cause foaming. Big rigs have a wide open fill port to their tanks.

I almost always use a regular gas station with an auto diesel pump located on an outside island. I pull a Wrangler and have never had an issue getting into or out of a station. Plus I can save $0.25 to $0.50 off truck stop diesel prices.

I’m fortunate that I have easy access to a Ford Commercial Truck Service Center who will work on RV’s. But it has been very disconcerting hearing so many owners with Ford chassis’s being turned away by Ford Commercial Truck Centers. I hope I never have a service need on a trip.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #12

THOR #19910
Heh, I forgot about the DEF and rear tank fill problems... The rear fill hose was an easy fix, but I had to have the DEF line completely re-routed. Again, under warranty.

I totally agree that the Magnitude is a dream to drive. I've done two coast to coast trips, and it always amazes me how well the darn thing rides and handles.
And again parroting Judge, I can get in just about any gas station evening towing the Jeep without s problem. Finally, the turning radius is absolutely amazing given the overall length.

Even with all my gripes, I'll be keeping mine too. If nothing else, I'll be able to test out of the RV repair tech course soon....

If you go for it, you've got a pretty amazing help resource right here.
2022 Jeep Sahara EcoDiesel (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:45 PM   #13

THOR #27689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You will want to read some of my posts as well as other owner’s posts. I got one of the very first Magnitude SV34’s back in 2019. It has been a love - hate relationship.

I’m in the middle of a 7-week trip out west and have over 22,000 miles on it now. The Ford F550 Chassis has been bulletproof….. but this year I did decide to upgrade to adjustable shocks and a bigger rear sway bar to improve the ride and handling a bit more.

Besides the typically poor quality and workmanship across most models and bugs that will need to be worked out over time, there are two large achilles heels with the Omni / Magnitude.

The first is the front cap and cab-over bunk attachment to the house and cab. Thor uses too few screws that are also too small. After a few thousand miles they start pushing through the molding that runs from just behind the bottom of the driver side door, over the roof and down the passenger side. Mine got to the point where you could see the front cap flex while leveling and a gap would even form where the cap met the cab.

I took it to the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa (where they acknowledged this is a common problem). They put larger screws and more screws in… but after about 18 months and 12,000 miles, the problem has reappeared during this trip.

One of the members on this forum (kwplot34) tore his cab-over bunk apart and installed stainless bolts, washers and nuts and his front cap is holding up well. He also added a better aluminum floor structure for the bunk and added insulation.

The problem is two-fold. First, it is a horrible design having a large front cap hanging well past the windshield. You can watch it bounce and flex driving down the road… especially rough roads. Go look at a Renegade Super C front cap and you will see it stops at the windshield. The second problem is Thor manufacturing should be using bolts with nuts and not screws and a better adhesive bonding agent around the entire seam.

The other problem is the heavy, full-wall slide and Thor using the Scwintek Slide mechanism. Other Thor models with large, heavy slides have a similar problem. The Schwintek mechanism is not robust enough and it has some design inefficiencies as well that prevent it from being a reliable slide mechanism. I think it is safe to say that more than 70% of these heavy full-wall slides will eventually have a failure or multiple failures. Out of warranty the costs to repair the mechanism can be $500 - $2000 per repair.

The Scwintek system usess nylon / plastic V-rollers under the tracks. They also use a single small set screw to hold the motors down and four alignment pins to keep the motor from spinning. There is so much torque with the 500:1 motors they can start to try and lift out of the bearing block and eventually bend or shear off the set screw.

After two slide failures I had the Scwintek Slide Mechanism replaced last October with the Vroom Slide System, which is a far superior slide system. It cost me $2500 (now over $3000) but it was money well spent.

I used to say the Rosary every time before opening or closing the slide and would avoid using it as little as possible. Now I open and close it just for fun. Vroom uses four bolts to mount the motor to his pinion gear housing. He also uses heavy duty bearings and a larger geat and deeper track. You can hear the difference opening and closing the slide. Laying the Scwintek components next to the Vroom components, you can clealy see the difference and how much better the Vroom design and components are.

Other than that… we love our Magnitude and the SV34 floor plan. We have had some great trips in it. But I have put countless hours and more money than I want to admit to get it where it needed to be. And now I’m going to need to rebuild my front cap like kwplot34 did on his XG32 before we head to Alaska next year so that the roads on the way up and back don’t shake the coach so much the front cap falls off the coach!

You will find people on here that love them and a couple whonhave had only minor issues. You will also find people who sold after a few months and took big losses because they couldn’t take it any more.

If I knew now what I didn’t know then, I would have spent the extra money and bought a Renegade or Dynamax Super C. The MSRP has gone up over $60K on my model since I bought it and there is no way I would have paid more than I did for it…. and I paid 30% off MSRP at the time and I got almost what I paid for the coach I traded in for it.

Good luck! [emoji106]
Judge, if we were to buy a Magnitude/Omni, would you advocate for heading to Tucson to get the Schwintek replaced with Vroom right away? Or would you say “wait and see”? We are about 90 minutes from Tucson, and I prefer to be proactive about potential problems. So if we know it is going to be an issue, and if I know the front bunk is going to be a problem, I’d almost prefer to get them done before even going out in it. What say ye?
Old 09-14-2022, 01:31 AM   #14

THOR #12751

Quote:
Judge, if we were to buy a Magnitude/Omni, would you advocate for heading to Tucson to get the Schwintek replaced with Vroom right away? Or would you say “wait and see”? We are about 90 minutes from Tucson, and I prefer to be proactive about potential problems. So if we know it is going to be an issue, and if I know the front bunk is going to be a problem, I’d almost prefer to get them done before even going out in it. What say ye?

Rambler….. excellent question!

If you are only 90 minutes from Tucson and you want to be proactive, I would replace the Schwintek Mechanism with the Vroom Slide System right away. There is nothing worse than having slide issues in the middle of a trip. I don’t even worry about the slide anymore.

Your challenge will be getting on their schedule. Latests reports are Vroom is scheduling into June 2023. I’d get on the schedule and use it till you can get it in. But tell them you are 90 minutes out so if they have a last minute cancellation, you could bring it right in.

With respect to the front cap and knowing what I know now…. plus the work kwplot34 and Pillbox did to their caps… I would pull the molding on the outside and also the molding around the cab roof inside under the bunk and I would replace all of the screws with stainless bolts and nuts and use a good sealing adhesive as well before reassembling.

If you take care of those two achilles heels from the get-go, anything else that pops up should be relatively minor for you and you can relax and enjoy the coach without waiting for the other show to drop.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-14-2022, 01:58 AM   #15

THOR #27689
Quote:
Rambler….. excellent question!

If you are only 90 minutes from Tucson and you want to be proactive, I would replace the Schwintek Mechanism with the Vroom Slide System right away. There is nothing worse than having slide issues in the middle of a trip. I don’t even worry about the slide anymore.

Your challenge will be getting on their schedule. Latests reports are Vroom is scheduling into June 2023. I’d get on the schedule and use it till you can get it in. But tell them you are 90 minutes out so if they have a last minute cancellation, you could bring it right in.

With respect to the front cap and knowing what I know now…. plus the work kwplot34 and Pillbox did to their caps… I would pull the molding on the outside and also the molding around the cab roof inside under the bunk and I would replace all of the screws with stainless bolts and nuts and use a good sealing adhesive as well before reassembling.

If you take care of those two achilles heels from the get-go, anything else that pops up should be relatively minor for you and you can relax and enjoy the coach without waiting for the other show to drop.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Thanks! Appreciate the insight. We are in the process of building a new house (was supposed to be finished 5/31…still waiting). Once the home is done and we are moved in, I was going to do the deal…hoping to sell the interim home that we bought to live in during the build before we buy…free up some cash. Anyway, once all of that is complete, I’ll have the time and the place (RV garage on the new house) to do some of the work that has to be done. I’m expecting about November. Hope to get the upgrades complete by mid March and hope to head out in April some time.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate the insight. We are in the process of building a new house (was supposed to be finished 5/31…still waiting). Once the home is done and we are moved in, I was going to do the deal…hoping to sell the interim home that we bought to live in during the build before we buy…free up some cash. Anyway, once all of that is complete, I’ll have the time and the place (RV garage on the new house) to do some of the work that has to be done. I’m expecting about November. Hope to get the upgrades complete by mid March and hope to head out in April some time.

Since you have some time you might want to look at a new Super C from Entegra that looks to compete directly against the Omni / Magnitude. It was just introduced at the Hershey RV Show in PA.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ion-32252.html

Thor owns Entegra and you can certainly see some similarities between the Accolade XT and the Omni / Magnitude. Now I will say there are some things I like about it like the fiberglass roof and that they beefed up the suspension on the F550. It also appears to be more rugged looking but......

I still see some of the same potential for problems with the front cap design as it extends out beyond the front windshield excessively and they opted to use the same style window in the front of it.

Entegra is a higher-end RV compared to Thor Motorcoach so I suspect it will be more expensive than the Omni / Magnitude but I haven't seen any pricing on it yet.

I still think Renegade makes the best Super C and the Verona is great with the Dynamax Force a close second.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:45 PM   #17

THOR #12751
Well…. the front cap issue is worse than it was before Thor fixed.

We hit some rain driving to Salt Lake and then some rain while we were there. On our way to Panguitch this morning we started getting some water dripping from the grab bars in the cab.

It appears the bouncing of the front cap has likely broken the sealant that runs around the cab-over and the cab roof in addition to screws pushing out a again around the side molding.

When kwplot34 tore apart his front cap and cab-over, he only foind a few sheet metal screws and a coulle were broken (and I think Pillbox found the same).

Kwplot34 ended up putting down metal strips on each side of the cab-over floor and bolting it down to the cab roof under the headliner. I think I’m going to end up doing the same thing. I spoke to him recently sbd he said his front cap is holding up very well after his major upgrade to the way it’s mounted.

In additon to that….. instead of pulling the Eternabond Tape and Dicor at the roof joint, I’m just going to drill a few holes near the screws that I can see pushing up against the Eternabond. Then I will put stainless steel bolts through the roof and the aluminum super structure. I’ll Dicor over the bolts and washers and then lay down more Eternabond over the Dicor once it cures.

Then instead of putting bolts through the walls under the side molding, I’m going to remove the screws and install a RivNut in the hole one size larger. Then I’ll shoot adhesive sealant into the holes and install a bolt with Locktite.

I’m on a mission now to make the front cap bullet-proof…. like everything else I’ve done to the coach. When I go to sell it in a couple years no one will be able to buy a new Thor factory built Super C that will be in better shape than this one!

Thor has really pissed me off now!!!
Old 09-18-2022, 09:17 PM   #18

THOR #19910
Judge,

Please make a detailed record of your repair. I’m assuming I’ll be next in the chute, and any tips will make life easier.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
Judge,

Please make a detailed record of your repair. I’m assuming I’ll be next in the chute, and any tips will make life easier.

Thanks!

Will do!

I intend to take copious pictures like kwplot34 did snd some videos. I will post them here…. and I may get my wife to post them on Thor’s Facebook page to show prospective Omni / Magnitude buyers what to consider before buying one.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:04 AM   #20

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Well…. the front cap issue is worse than it was before Thor fixed.

We hit some rain driving to Salt Lake and then some rain while we were there. On our way to Panguitch this morning we started getting some water dripping from the grab bars in the cab.

It appears the bouncing of the front cap has likely broken the sealant that runs around the cab-over and the cab roof in addition to screws pushing out a again around the side molding.

When kwplot34 tore apart his front cap and cab-over, he only foind a few sheet metal screws and a coulle were broken (and I think Pillbox found the same).

Kwplot34 ended up putting down metal strips on each side of the cab-over floor and bolting it down to the cab roof under the headliner. I think I’m going to end up doing the same thing. I spoke to him recently sbd he said his front cap is holding up very well after his major upgrade to the way it’s mounted.

In additon to that….. instead of pulling the Eternabond Tape and Dicor at the roof joint, I’m just going to drill a few holes near the screws that I can see pushing up against the Eternabond. Then I will put stainless steel bolts through the roof and the aluminum super structure. I’ll Dicor over the bolts and washers and then lay down more Eternabond over the Dicor once it cures.

Then instead of putting bolts through the walls under the side molding, I’m going to remove the screws and install a RivNut in the hole one size larger. Then I’ll shoot adhesive sealant into the holes and install a bolt with Locktite.

I’m on a mission now to make the front cap bullet-proof…. like everything else I’ve done to the coach. When I go to sell it in a couple years no one will be able to buy a new Thor factory built Super C that will be in better shape than this one!

Thor has really pissed me off now!!!
Don't forget that where the cap overlaps the coach side walls there is no sealant in there, so when the screws break/come out the cap pulls away from the side wall and water can run right in. I used an automotive adhesive/sealer and put in that gap before I bolted it together, water will never come through that seam now.
I can't remember the manufacture part# but it's in my thread where I fixed the cap.