Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #18461
Introduction

Hello from Nashville.

I just retired and wife will be retiring in next year or two. Anyway, our plan is to get an RV and travel extensively to all of the National Parks, nice State Parks and even try boondocking. We would like something with two sleeping areas and a vehicle that can go off road on 4x4 trails. Our options are:

1) Use our current 2019 Nissan Titan 4x4 (9,400 tow capacity) and buy/tow travel trailer with bunk house and use Titan for off road (not ideal, but doable)
2) Buy a Thor Outlaw with a SXS4 in garage
3) Buy a Motorhome (A or C) that can tow a Jeep
4) Buy a Toy Hauler with a SXS4 in garage/2nd sleeping area.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on winning the rat race, and welcome to our our little corner of things!
It's a good thing that you've got some time to sort out all of your options. I think that you've set the bar pretty high, and it might take some real creativity to fulfill your wish-list.
But that's what time and shopping are for!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
We have a Jeep for our toad. It is too nice to off-road much. We have 3 Polaris razors. Our 22 foot implement trailer will haul the jeep and 1 razor or two razors.
If you go out west, most places you can ride the razors from the campground anywhere you like. If you are near the Imperial Sand Dunes you can boondock and ride the dunes until you need fuel. There is fuel available at Glamis but you will have to trade a kidney for 5 gallons.No perfect answer but loyt of ways that are fun. Biggest decision will be where you are going and the rules for that area.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:50 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You are smart to plan ahead. Have you had an RV before?

Try out a few different RV types by renting for some short or weekend trips. You will learn some answers about what you need and what you want. It may not be what you think!

My personal preference if I wante off road would be a small Class A or C towing a Jeep, if it fits the budget.

I won't look for an off road vehicle until I have explored all the roads. We have had a ton of fun with our little sports car toad.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. The suggestion of renting the different units is a good idea.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #6

State: Tennessee
THOR #18461
Thanks for you recommendations

I thought I had previously posted a thank you but perhaps they were private messages. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. Mr. Sunshine, I think renting the type and model of RV is an excellent idea. Ifish, I had not really considered towing a trailer behind a Class A or C, but that could be a great idea (assuming tow capacities aren't exceeded) since i assume you can back up a trailer without having to unhook it like you do a toad?

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Congrats and welcome to the forum. As you go along looking, keep asking questions here and someone will have an answer. There is a lot of wisdom and knowledge here as well as some comedy.

Paul
Good Sam Member, Sumo Springs(front and rear), The Equalizer Hydraulic Level System
Old 04-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #8

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #17484
Many national and state parks were set up with camping facilities that will accommodate only relatively small RV's or trailers up to about 25' in length. Regardless of which RV combo you pick, your specs will probably put you in a rig that will be offsite, private RV parks ... sometimes convenient to national and state parks, sometimes not so convenient.

Renting may look expensive but it can help you figure out what works best. Keeo in mind that RV trade-ins and trade-ups bring new meaning ti the term DEPRECIATION. Also keep in mind that all RV's require frequent maintenance and repair and that in many parts of the country it can be difficult to get work done quickly ... long delays are common. The more you learn about your unit and how to do your own work, the happier you will be. Beware of extended warranties by RV dealers. Most of these are high-commission packages that may work well through your selling dealing but that can be a nightmare to use elsewhere. Repair shops HATE hassling with these third-party contracts via 800 numbers.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #9

Model: Thor outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18251
Welcome , I’ve had a TT Jayco Octane 222, imo good set up. Had it for 1 1/2 yrs. great experience with it but I wanted more room and easier camp set up So now I have a class A Outlaw 38MB ....I love it good set up for me mostly put my toy in back and head out good boondocker or resort friendly imo ...You could put the SXS4 in garage and tow your Jeep or Titan if needed . I vote for #2 the Outlaw but I’m biased
Old 04-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #10

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRV View Post
Hello from Nashville.

I just retired and wife will be retiring in next year or two. Anyway, our plan is to get an RV and travel extensively to all of the National Parks, nice State Parks and even try boondocking. We would like something with two sleeping areas and a vehicle that can go off road on 4x4 trails. Our options are:

1) Use our current 2019 Nissan Titan 4x4 (9,400 tow capacity) and buy/tow travel trailer with bunk house and use Titan for off road (not ideal, but doable)
2) Buy a Thor Outlaw with a SXS4 in garage
3) Buy a Motorhome (A or C) that can tow a Jeep
4) Buy a Toy Hauler with a SXS4 in garage/2nd sleeping area.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!
Just the 2 of you? Try this, wife and I love it. Thor diesel Synergy, aluminum tilt trailer and Polaris off road 4X4 RZR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3270 (2).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	23385  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote