Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alaska
THOR #4811
Does anyone have experience with the Costco Auto Program?

I have sold our Class C and I'm planning on buying an Axis/Vegas 25.2 on a E450 chassis.

Our driveway is limited to 28.5 foot. We did a walkthrough of an Axis 25.2 at local dealer but it was an early 2016 on an E350. I have owned two Class Cs. One was on an E350 and the other was on an E450. I will never buy an E350 again.

I went through the Costco Auto Program web site to request a Thor RV dealer. It linked me to Camping World of Burlington. I could save $10,000 over the local dealer. Problem is I live in Alaska. I would have to drive it back to Alaska in the Spring without all my RV gear stored in my garage.

Does anyone have experience with the Costco Auto Program or Camping World of Burlington?
Thanks,
Robert

Old 10-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertK View Post
....cut...

Our driveway is limited to 28.5 foot. We did a walkthrough of an Axis 25.2 at local dealer but it was an early 2016 on an E350. I have owned two Class Cs. One was on an E350 and the other was on an E450. I will never buy an E350 again.

....cut....

Does anyone have experience with the Costco Auto Program or Camping World of Burlington?
Thanks,
Robert
Would you mind elaborating on your E-350 versus E-450 experiences? Some of us are still trying to find the right motorhome and may benefit from your issues.

I've owned E-350s and have driven rented E-450s (when I needed more space and rented for long trips), and I can't really say I noticed much difference that wasn't related to the bigger sizes driving worse. Other than higher payload I'm not really sure there is much difference to notice.

Not trying to change your subject, but since you made that bold statement without an explanation or history, some here may be interested in knowing what issues you had with your E-350 motorhome.

Sorry, I can't help with Costco; I'm a Sam's member.

P.S. -- One difference with older 2016 Axis on E-350 is that they were likely built on 2015 model year Ford chassis which may have the older 5-speed transmission. I personally want the 6-speed transmission on my next motorhome -- everything else being equal/similar.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #4811
Question of why I prefer an E450 over E350 is a long story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Would you mind elaborating on your E-350 versus E-450 experiences? Some of us are still trying to find the right motorhome and may benefit from your issues.

I've owned E-350s and have driven rented E-450s (when I needed more space and rented for long trips), and I can't really say I noticed much difference that wasn't related to the bigger sizes driving worse. Other than higher payload I'm not really sure there is much difference to notice.

Not trying to change your subject, but since you made that bold statement without an explanation or history, some here may be interested in knowing what issues you had with your E-350 motorhome.

Sorry, I can't help with Costco; I'm a Sam's member.

P.S. -- One difference with older 2016 Axis on E-350 is that they were likely built on 2015 model year Ford chassis which may have the older 5-speed transmission. I personally want the 6-speed transmission on my next motorhome -- everything else being equal/similar.
My first E350 was a used 24' 2007 Gulf Stream Yellowstone class C. I bought it in the Fall 2009. I got it to see Alaska. The Yellowstone would bottom out so I installed air bags on the rear axle. It helped but whenever I hit a pot hole, it felt like the whole frame would twist. It could have needed sway bars but my wife did not like the ride.

I finally gave up and traded it for a 25' 2009 Winnebago on an E450 in the Fall 2013. I installed electric steps and Max-Air covers. The ride was better with the longer wheel base. We went on a week long trip and found a problem. There was not windows on the right side in the back to see the spectacular views of Alaska. I was going to replace the door window with clear glass, but after talking it over with my wife, I put it up for sale this Spring.

My wife wanted more leg room, more windows, and a Sofa instead of a Dinette. I wanted a smooth ride on Alaska's roads. I will only buy an E450 because I want the heaver chassis. Alaska roads are rough with frost heaves and pot holes.

We liked the walk around Queen bed in the Forest River 28.5' 2650S Sunseeker Class C with a sofa option, but it still had the leg room problem of a Class C. I started looking at Class A motorhomes that would fit in my driveway. That when I saw a Thor 27.5' Axis 25.2. I also looked at a Thor 29.75' ACE 29.2. it is longer than 28.5 foot and I would have to park beside the house.

I need to clarify the post above: Does anyone have experience with the Costco Auto Program or Camping World of Burlington, WA? (1,384 Miles Away)

Thanks for reading my post,
Robert

Some of my favorite spots are at the end of a dirt road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	3106  

Tags
axis vegas 25.2 e450