Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2023, 03:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34BH
State: West Virginia
THOR #29790
Door

I need an entry door Has anyone ever been locked in?
I closed the door behind me and we got locked in.
After having to mangle,with a crowbar,we were able to get out.
My Dw later learned that we might have been unlevel.We were set up with our auto-leveler for 9 days. at a resort. I didn't realize until it was too late that I should have checked the level everyday ,WHO would have thunk it?
So if you are on gravel WATCH OUT!!
It is our 1st Class A

Old 05-28-2023, 04:23 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Your post is not clear where you actually locked inside or outside?

Tearing the door apart sounds extreme, a locksmith is what I would have done. You will need to check with Mfg on that door.

Once my wife and I got locked inside of a brand new 40' Diesel at MHSRV Dealership when another couple left and must have somehow locked the door. We could not open from inside. We had ACs running and we were not about to try the emergency window. Our Salesman had to come with a key to get us out. 10 minutes of calm no drama for us.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:24 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Buy a rope/fire ladder.
Next time climb out a window or emergency exit.

You did a lot of damage fir no reason.
Formulate alternate plans before initiating any action...
IN ALL THINGS AND CIRCUMSTANCE IN ALL OF LIFE.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Search the forum. There have been threads posted about door locks failing and folks getting locked inside.

No mention of RV make, model or year which would narrow things down.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:14 AM   #5

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate 62 View Post
My Dw later learned that we might have been unlevel.We were set up with our auto-leveler for 9 days. at a resort. I didn't realize until it was too late that I should have checked the level everyday ,WHO would have thunk it?
It is our 1st Class A
You keep a crowbar inside the MH? Must be from the days of truck driving.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:51 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
My Dw later learned that we might have been unlevel. We were set up with our auto-leveler for 9 days. at a resort. I didn't realize until it was too late that I should have checked the level everyday ,WHO would have thunk it?
It is our 1st Class A
Can I ask who told your wife this?

It sounds peculiar. I don't autolevel every day or check everyday, when I auto level I am done. I do have electronic way to verify that the Auto Level is correct. Not sure why I use because Auto Level has always been correct. I can't believe gravel for a RV Park would shift like quicksand or anything similar? Even if it did, I park my Class A many times and it is unlevel just parking some place but it never impacted or locked the door. In case it did, it would be simple matter of unlocking the door assuming you were inside? Otherwise, I think the inside locking mechanism may have simply been defective and you could unlock but maybe from the outside with key they could or a locksmith for sure.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-29-2023, 01:02 PM   #7

THOR #29790
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Search the forum. There have been threads posted about door locks failing and folks getting locked inside.

No mention of RV make, model or year which would narrow things down.
2008 Four Winds Hurricane 34BH
Old 05-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #8

THOR #29790
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can I ask who told your wife this?

It sounds peculiar. I don't do this, when I auto level I am done. I do have electronic way to verify that the Auto Level is correct. Not sure why I use because Auto Level has always been correct. I can't believe gravel for a RV Park would shift like quicksand or anything similar? Even if it did, my Class A many times unless just parking some place but it never impact or locked the door. In case it did, it would be simple matter of unlocking the door assuming you were inside? Otherwise, I think the inside locking mechanism may have simply been defective and you could
unlock but maybe from the outside with key they could or a locksmith for sure.
It is our first Class A so she went to You Tube
Old 05-29-2023, 01:41 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
You may be new to RVing, but don't assume you did something wrong (pulling out the crowbar not withstanding) You and your wife know how to open doors and 99.9% of the time they work. You tube is very useful resource, but you have to filter what they are saying and who is saying. Your wife could make a YouTube video and the next guy watch and say hey we need to autolevel every day so the door won't lock if they are naïve enough. The only way I could see autoleveling everyday, if I knew my hydraulic unit was defective and in need of repair.

Good luck with that door, I am afraid to learn how much it may cost
Old 05-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Did you know you have an emergency window? In fact, we have 2. Side over dinette and rear by bed. The lock materials are known to be cheap pot metal. If you’re inside, the lock can be disassembled with a screwdriver. Somewhere a junked unit has your new door.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:02 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Did you know you have an emergency window? In fact, we have 2. Side over dinette and rear by bed. The lock materials are known to be cheap pot metal. If you’re inside, the lock can be disassembled with a screwdriver. Somewhere a junked unit has your new door.
I have heard that some emergency windows when opened fall to the ground and may break? I have been meaning to have someone with a ladder on the outside while I open from the inside just to know what mine does? If it true emergency I guess a window or door cost don't matter. But if I were locked inside my RV today, I could just as easily open one of the other windows with a screen and slide the screen back and crawl out. Hoping someone don't shoot me saying they thought I was a burglar and they felt endangered saying I was coming to there RV next
Old 05-29-2023, 11:12 PM   #12

THOR #29790
Quote:
I have heard that some emergency windows when opened fall to the ground and may break? I have been meaning to have someone with a ladder on the outside while I open from the inside just to know what mine does? If it true emergency I guess a window or door cost don't matter. But if I were locked inside my RV today, I could just as easily open one of the other windows with a screen and slide the screen back and crawl out. Hoping someone don't shoot me saying they thought I was a burglar and they felt endangered saying I was coming to there RV next
We have a 2008 Four Winds Hurricane
I am a 200 lb 6ft tall person,my window is 7-8 ft off the ground.but the Rv is old so I don't even know if the emergency window works,till I HAVE to use it
Old 05-29-2023, 11:31 PM   #13

THOR #29790
Quote:
I'm 61 yes old and probably wouldn't survive the fall,we were inside,I took the screws out and disassembled the locking mechanism 2 guys were outside trying to open the door with whatever they could use,ie,crowbar had to leave the resort in the A.M. It was 2 1/ hrs to get us out,finally around 8:30 PM. I exhausted all options ,I should have called Pop a lock,It was stuck
Old 05-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Mine are hinged at the top. They just swing open. They don’t fall out.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Mine are hinged at the top. They just swing open. They don’t fall out.
You have always been hinged, and I just a regular SOB with two red handles on the both right & left sides of glass. No hinges that I can see. If it did fallout, it would be easy to grab hold of the ladder that is on the right and climb dpwn.

Like I have been saying for 4 years, one day I am going to get someone on the outside and open to see what happens, but I need one of those RoundTuit coins
Old 05-31-2023, 12:22 AM   #16

THOR #13932
How much was your new fire ladder and where did you buy it?

Old 05-31-2023, 01:19 AM   #17

THOR #13932
No.
It was for the op.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:25 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
No.
It was for the op.
Ahh man, so it really "ain't about me"... I will delete the post.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:40 PM   #19

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Quite Interesting Similar on "OPL" Last Night

Quote:
It is our 1st Class A
)

Last night, Jun-02-2023, on "On Patrol Live" (police show) they had an RV (Class A) "lock in" scenario in Nye County Nevada that was a broken door latch on the inside. Sort of justifies having a spare door lock/latch mechanism amongst inside spares?
Old 06-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveler 30A
THOR #21685
Me to

I also got locked in once.

Tags
classified adds, funny, general rv, new owner