Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Hello

Hello...

My wife and I just purchased a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24HE. We have never RVd before and are looking forward to traveling and sightseeing. We’re currently snowbirds with homes in Wisconsin and Florida.

We’re interested in boondocking and I’ve been reading everything I can to understand what we need to do to the RV to make it suitable. I’m pretty certain I’ve discovered that the RV didn’t come with an inverter. We’ll have to research and probably have Camping World install it. We’re also going to need to improve the battery situation and add solar panels and controller.

I’ll want to tap into the wealth of information you all must have.

Best Regards,

Pete

Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Congratulations and welcome. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site. It’s the best of the best. Enjoy your coach.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the best little internet forum in the Universe...
You're gonna like it in here: they serve the best coffee...

How about some pictures of your new pride and joy?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats and welcome to the forum! There are several folks on here that have installed solar and researched the batteries and inverter system to go boondocking and stay off the grid for a while. (Myself being one of them...) One of the best research articles was called "The 12 volt side of life" and it explains in a lot of detail about electrical budget (how much power do you expect to use) and how many batteries and what kind to use, as well as how you will charge them (solar, generator, alternator, etc.) There are a lot of options out there and lots of ways to accomplish your goals.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Welcome, From Washington state!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I would recommend you do some camping first and see what you need. What is it you need the inverter for? If Like us, it is just to plug in a laptop or similar device, you may find a simple Lighter plug inverter works just fine. We don't boondock for long periods but for three or four days we have no need for anything other than our standard equipment. YMMV
Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

THOR #10225
Thanks for all the replies. I don't like the idea of running the generator for TV and other AC-dependant utilities. I imagine the cigarette lighter Jack's are tapped into the starter battery. Does anyone know if that's true?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I don't like the idea of running the generator for TV and other AC-dependant utilities. I imagine the cigarette lighter Jack's are tapped into the starter battery. Does anyone know if that's true?
What powers what varies from rig to rig... Set your coach battery to STORE - and see what still has power - most likely those will be coming from the chassis battery. (some have found coach batteries still have a drain when in STORE - why I said 'most likely')

Really is little in the RV that needs AC. TVs, Microwave, A/C (assuming propane fridge since a residential fridge unit would have an inverter already.)
I carry a small plug in inverter but have rarely used it. I added a 12v TV and Bluray player in the bedroom, a 12v adapter for my laptop, a few 12v USB outlets. When boondocking, I only start the genny if I need A/C or microwave (neither of which would be practical on inverter in my setup).

As Whirnot suggested - try some camping and see.
Inverter/battery/solar setups vary widely - typically the first question needing answering is what do you expect to draw in watts, and for how long? Then a suitable system can be designed. Of course the price tag follows the amount you need.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #9

THOR #10225
Thanks.

We will do some camping before purchasing. I don't believe I have a "store" switch. I have a lot to learn about the wiring before I start running DC lines for a DC TV and such. I've been reading a much as I can get my hands on. There's not a lot that's specific to the 24HE.