Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2022, 04:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28Z
State: California
THOR #20494
Filling up

We bought our 2021 Four Winds 28Z in September 2021. We love it BUT since I live in California the gas station pumps are designed with a special nozzle. Filling up our coach is VERY difficult because of the gas pump nozzle. It constantly shuts off. It can take up to 30 minutes to fill 35 gallons of gas into our motorhome. I have to hand hold the pump and constantly retrigger filling the tank 100+ times. Is there a remedy to this or just a design flaw for Californians?

Old 01-16-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Big recent thread about this issue. Try the search feature.

This may be it:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...les-29351.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by POP & GRANDMA View Post
We bought our 2021 Four Winds 28Z in September 2021. We love it BUT since I live in California the gas station pumps are designed with a special nozzle. Filling up our coach is VERY difficult because of the gas pump nozzle. It constantly shuts off. It can take up to 30 minutes to fill 35 gallons of gas into our motorhome. I have to hand hold the pump and constantly retrigger filling the tank 100+ times. Is there a remedy to this or just a design flaw for Californians?
We have a 2021 Four Winds 28A and went to Washington state last September with no problems filling up. Ours is on a Chevy chassis.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:09 AM   #4

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Same issue on the THOR ACE, if RV is not facing downhill, the pump will trip because the fuel doesn't flow to tank fast enough.

Solution: Buy a long fuel funnel from Walmart, insert it into the fuel filler. Then manually fill the funnel. It takes a while but gets the job done. I also take the filler hose at the gas station and kink it. This will control the flow of fuel into the nozzle as you hold the pump handle full open.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:40 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Seems like a malfunction of the RVs fuel system. I would suggest a trip to a mechanic.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:48 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 27R
State: South Carolina
THOR #24783
Check for a kink in the rubber hose which connects the filler neck to the metal tubing that runs up to the fuel tank. On 2021 our Chateau 27R, the distance between those two metal tubes needs to be increased so that the rubber hose forms a radius rather than an angle.

I think I attached a photo of our coach. I say think as this is my first attempt at attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimp, fuel line and vent.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	35652  
Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlzstam View Post
Check for a kink in the rubber hose which connects the filler neck to the metal tubing that runs up to the fuel tank. On 2021 our Chateau 27R, the distance between those two metal tubes needs to be increased so that the rubber hose forms a radius rather than an angle.

I think I attached a photo of our coach. I say think as this is my first attempt at attachments.
That’s my thought there is a kink or something. It’s been a couple of years but we never had a problem with the California pumps. And I don’t think ours in Washington state are that different.