Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2019, 01:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #17109
First RV...A.C.E. 30.2

Hello Thor Family,

This past weekend I purchased mine and my families first RV. After nearly 5 years of researching every type of RV from pop ups, to bumper pull travel trailers to 5th wheels and motor homes, we chose a used 2016 Thor A.C.E. 30.2 bunkhouse. I am hoping to join you all on the road soon and start our family adventures. My first trip was the 1200 mile trek from where I bought it to where I live. All on all it went well. There are some minor cosmetic issues but all in all it seems like a great coach. Would love to hear from anyone else that has the same or similar coach good stories or bad. Any lessons learned? Any advice? Glad to be a part of the Thor community.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:57 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome from Indiana

Welcome aboard. We have been RVng for over 25 years through several different units and the excitement of purchasing a new coach never goes away. This is a great place learn about your new coach. We have an ACE 27.2 different floor plan but we are quite happy with it. Happy Trails. Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #16508
I have a 2014 Ace 30.2. We love the coach. We had some minor and major issues when we got it but it’s been a good coach. Keep eye on slide trim and stair housing. That’s where there were issues on mine. I got them fixed and no issues since.

You’ll have to decide what kind of camping you like. If you end up Boondocking or dry camping in the national parks you’ll likely add more batteries and an inverter.

Look into the cheap handling fix. Mine got pushed around in wind or semis passing until I made that simple adjustment. Since then it’s easy to drive.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Congratulations! Welcome to our group from South Texas!
Old 11-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
THOR #13648
I don't have that model but welcome to the forum
Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #7

THOR #17109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomike View Post
I have a 2014 Ace 30.2. We love the coach. We had some minor and major issues when we got it but it’s been a good coach. Keep eye on slide trim and stair housing. That’s where there were issues on mine. I got them fixed and no issues since.

You’ll have to decide what kind of camping you like. If you end up Boondocking or dry camping in the national parks you’ll likely add more batteries and an inverter.

Look into the cheap handling fix. Mine got pushed around in wind or semis passing until I made that simple adjustment. Since then it’s easy to drive.
Thanks Ohio Mike. The previous owner had two 6 volt batteries and an inverter installed. He did some boondocking in CA and he said it was a game changer. He also had a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer installed.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
We have a 2015 30.2 and love it

Seems like previous owner took care of the MH so you should have the main issues worked out, but just in case here goes: immediately, as in right away not sometime maybe next year, check for loose wiring on the back of the water heater, and loose wire connections on the transfer switch and on the back of the main circuit breaker box (converter). Notorious problem on our model for yours and my model years. You'll sleep better knowing these are tightened up.
The stairs and basement storage areas are attached to the sidewall with minimal screws. My stairs separated from the wall of the coach, as did my entire rear basement. Add extra stainless screws now before you hear a giant thump in the night. We actually had a steel bar added for stairwell support. While you are at it, convert any lights that are not led to led (above the range light and the light in the stair locker were a few of the ones not led in my coach).
Those are the biggies.
The safety steer is great, but note it is really a steering aid in the event of a front blowout, I would never run a rig without it. You drove it a fair ways home (CA to FL? but that is more than 1200 miles!!) so you know how it handles.
If you were not fighting the wheel it probably had the "cheap handling fix" done by original owner; I added a rear track bar and sumo springs front and rear for improved handling but that is personal preference.
The 30.2 has a full wall slide. You have the upgraded 3 Trax system. Follow the guidance you read here about always extending and retracting fully and hold that button down for 3 seconds after all the whirring stops. Same for the overhead "princess bed".
Enjoy your coach, we love it.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #9

THOR #17109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Seems like previous owner took care of the MH so you should have the main issues worked out, but just in case here goes: immediately, as in right away not sometime maybe next year, check for loose wiring on the back of the water heater, and loose wire connections on the transfer switch and on the back of the main circuit breaker box (converter). Notorious problem on our model for yours and my model years. You'll sleep better knowing these are tightened up.
The stairs and basement storage areas are attached to the sidewall with minimal screws. My stairs separated from the wall of the coach, as did my entire rear basement. Add extra stainless screws now before you hear a giant thump in the night. We actually had a steel bar added for stairwell support. While you are at it, convert any lights that are not led to led (above the range light and the light in the stair locker were a few of the ones not led in my coach).
Those are the biggies.
The safety steer is great, but note it is really a steering aid in the event of a front blowout, I would never run a rig without it. You drove it a fair ways home (CA to FL? but that is more than 1200 miles!!) so you know how it handles.
If you were not fighting the wheel it probably had the "cheap handling fix" done by original owner; I added a rear track bar and sumo springs front and rear for improved handling but that is personal preference.
The 30.2 has a full wall slide. You have the upgraded 3 Trax system. Follow the guidance you read here about always extending and retracting fully and hold that button down for 3 seconds after all the whirring stops. Same for the overhead "princess bed".
Enjoy your coach, we love it.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
ArrrV, thanks for the reply and advice. I purchased the RV from Minneapolis Minnesota. Previous owners originally bought the MH in CA and moved to Minneapolis. I will be sure to check out the wiring. I know the previous owners had an issue with the propane hoses being short which was taken care of and a slide issue that was also fixed. One issue I just discovered is the propane regulator has a slow leak which I need to address asap. Previous owner taught me about the slide and holding for a few seconds after the motor stops. This is my first motorhome so I don't have any comparison on how it handles compared to others. The 1200 mile drive went well and I didn't feel like I was fighting the wheel too much. If I got passed by a semi I would feel a slight push but nothing excessive. I am excited to be a part of this community and get out there and using the coach. My kids want to driveway camp every day.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Hey, I'm with the kids

I want to go camping everyday too. Work gets in the way of that....
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #11

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Thumbs up Ace 29.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilski78 View Post
Hello Thor Family,

This past weekend I purchased mine and my families first RV. After nearly 5 years of researching every type of RV from pop ups, to bumper pull travel trailers to 5th wheels and motor homes, we chose a used 2016 Thor A.C.E. 30.2 bunkhouse. I am hoping to join you all on the road soon and start our family adventures. My first trip was the 1200 mile trek from where I bought it to where I live. All on all it went well. There are some minor cosmetic issues but all in all it seems like a great coach. Would love to hear from anyone else that has the same or similar coach good stories or bad. Any lessons learned? Any advice? Glad to be a part of the Thor community.

We own a 2016 Thor ACE 29.4. Bought it new from our local dealer. Want you to know that we LOVE our unit. Did some minor changes to suite our needs. To own a great unit don't forget to do the scheduled maintenance when needed.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #12

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #14200
We have ACE 2016 30.1

We have had good luck with our ACE 30.1
20K miles. I do all my own maintenance.
made a few modifications to make me happy
front led strip in very front above steering wheel
bigger sink
12v gauge to tell me my voltage
added 120V dedicated outlet by sink on its own line
I'm sure you'll come up with a few
good luck
Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #13
Kgg

State: Wisconsin
THOR #8158
I added the front stabilizer,sumo shocks,front and rear torsion bar handle great now and yes my stairs broke carry a plunger your toilet will plug a lot of time they have a 90degree pipe to the tank
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
I want to go camping everyday too. Work gets in the way of that....
This whole "work thing"; always seems to be getting in the way of the bestest fun...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:41 PM   #15

Model: Outlaw 37 RB
State: Texas
THOR #6464
Welcome to the Forum. We had a 2017 ACE 29.4 until October 30, 2019. We put 42,500 miles without any major issues. We upgraded to a 2018 Thor Outlaw 29 RB.

Make many wonderful memories with your new RV.

Visit our travelogue at lonestargypsy.org. We have posted some hints for RV travel.
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Lone-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:27 AM   #16

State: Kansas
THOR #12311
Welcome to the forum.We have a 2015 ACE 27.1, bought it used from a individual in 2016 had a lot of issues about the way it drove but finally got it ironed with having the wheels all balanced and rotated, but the biggest improvements was getting a truck center align it and put in a caster kit, drives like a dream now just a couple fingers on the wheel.Also put a bigger front sway bar on since then but can’t say it made much of a difference. So far we have about 7000 miles on it and 10 states. So far have replaced the step motor,the p trap under the kitchen sink,the dash unit, replaced the mattress thru the MattressHub,one of the leveling jack hoses, Now we’re going to convert the wife’s 2017 MKX to flat tow, tired of riding bikes. Enjoy
Old 11-14-2019, 03:57 AM   #17

THOR #4541
Welcome. 2016 ACE 29.4 here. We've been very happy with our ACE for 3 years now. Few minor issues but nothing we couldn't deal with. Sounds like your's handles well so I assume that previous owner took care of those issues. There is an amazing amount of knowledge and help on this forum so read, read and read some more.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:52 AM   #18

THOR #17109
Thank you

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and advice. We are very much looking forward to many family adventures.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #19

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
New ACE 30.4 on Saturday

Live in Idaho so infinite boondocking and low cost Federal lands available including National Parks...so this is max length for me. Almost never do private RV parks. Recently using boondockerswelcome.com while travelling. I offer a space near Boise, ID. Has been fun to meet other boondockers.

Retired so time is on my side.

Have 50 years RV experience with pickup campers, trailers, fifth wheels, and two Class Cs. This is first Class A. On test drive felt just like my Leprechaun 260 DS on E450.

Test run to Death Valley late next week. Will tow Cherokee. Have to go through NV to get there. High elevation so one cold night on the way and hoping for little snow. I avoid Interstates as much as possible.

Planning trip to Big Bend late February. Headed back to Alaska in June.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #20
Jeg

State: West Virginia
THOR #17439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilski78 View Post
Hello Thor Family,

Hello to U too...I also just purchased our first 2017 Thor ACE 29.4 and are still getting familiar where everything is and how to care for it...I have many questions and hoping to get some answers thru this forum...Happy travels friend...stay in touch...!

Tags
30.2, a.c.e., new ace 30.2 owner