Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2022, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #25206
Florida Storage

Hi all ... we are about to store our motorhome this coming week for just 2 weeks near Orlando FL. It will be outside and not covered. Just wondering if there is anything special I should be doing .. should we leave any vents open for air circulation? or? thanks for your thoughts on this one.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well it's a humid area. We're in Florida and store our MH at home when not in use. We close it up and run a dehumidifier inside with it draining to the kitchen sink to prevent mold and mildew growth - it doesn't take long. Of course you will need at least a 13 amp SP connection available.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 12:02 AM   #3

THOR #25206
So fairly small humidifier sounds like? Can you run it 24 hours a day or do you have it on a timer?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:05 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedcom View Post
So fairly small humidifier sounds like? Can you run it 24 hours a day or do you have it on a timer?
We can set the desired humidity level on ours and it shuts off at that level and turns back on when it gets too high.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:22 AM   #5

THOR #25206
Thanks ... do you recall the brand or model and where you got it. Fitting into the sink is perfect.
thanks
Carle
Old 10-31-2022, 01:07 AM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks ... do you recall the brand or model and where you got it. Fitting into the sink is perfect.
thanks
Carle
We bought ours from Amazon a few years ago and, of course, it is no longer available. Ours cost $130 when we bought it and the Amazon Basics equivalent right now costs $180.

For a 2 week stay I'd forgo the higher cost and fancy features and just go with this one for $79 with the $20 coupon.

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Enrichme...dp/B0737KMRG3/

I'd drill a hole in the water catch bin and insert a small nylon (Tygon) hose from Lowes to drain it to the sink. It will run continuously but it doesn't drsw much power. I have a similar one with the hose modification in my sailboat.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:30 AM   #7

THOR #25206
Great idea ... did you have a special fitting into the hose that threaded into the catch basin? Or did you just silicone it in or comparable? Appreciate all the info.
Cheers
Old 10-31-2022, 03:41 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Great idea ... did you have a special fitting into the hose that threaded into the catch basin? Or did you just silicone it in or comparable? Appreciate all the info.
Cheers
I just drilled a hole slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the tube. The tube is soft enough to feed into the hole and be leak free from the friction/compression fit.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:48 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
We are now approaching the dry season and humidity levels are beginning to drop a little. While a dehumidifier is a good idea, for only 2 weeks I think you could get away with 2 or 3 tubs of DampRid in a 24' coach.

One tub is good for 250sqft. You coach is probably ~200sqft so 2 or 3 tubs should be plenty.

If it was July / August, I would go the dehumidifier route but for two weeks in early November I think DampRid would work fine.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Agree with Judge on the DampRid idea - this is what I use full time with my RV when in storage here in FL. Going on 17 years in FL, unfortunately with the RV parked far too much of the time, but it's worked fine.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:33 PM   #11

THOR #5313
Mine is in Florida sitting plugged in with a/c set at 82 in cooler months and 84 in warmer months. Stills smells like when we bought it. Inside stays dry.

If no power available the previous mentioned options are good.

Rarely does ours sit more than 2 or 3 weeks at a lime. Had it out yesterday for testing at dragstrip.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:27 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I'm with Judge...for this short of a time all will be fine. DampRid will work well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:54 PM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Sorry to disagree friends, but our experience says this is something you don't need to worry about.

We have kept an RV in central Florida for years in all seasons outside and never used any type of dehumidifier or even Damp rid. Still, the humidity has never been a problem. Always kept the vents closed, that helps keep the creepy crawlers out.

Two weeks in November? You'll not have a issue with humidity.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:34 AM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Agree with Mr Sunshine. When we lived in Tampa we bought our 2015 Vegas new and stored it in outside storage in Tampa from from 2015 - 2018 when we moved to PA. Never ran a dehumidifier or used Damp Rid for that entire time. Never had a moisture problem.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:40 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Gotta love online forums; never a lack of opportunity to disagree with another opinion. :-) But I do agree that 2 weeks without any protection from possible humidity damage is not a problem.

I still think that DampRid is an inexpensive ounce of prevention if you're going to be storing the RV in Florida for any extended length of time. In my case, since the DampRid does collect a good bit of moisture, I consider it worthwhile doing.

On the other hand, doing nothing at all as a preventative measure, and "getting away with it", just might mean you were lucky.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Gotta love online forums; never a lack of opportunity to disagree with another opinion. :-) But I do agree that 2 weeks without any protection from possible humidity damage is not a problem.

I still think that DampRid is an inexpensive ounce of prevention if you're going to be storing the RV in Florida for any extended length of time. In my case, since the DampRid does collect a good bit of moisture, I consider it worthwhile doing.

On the other hand, doing nothing at all as a preventative measure, and "getting away with it", just might mean you were lucky.

Yes, November should be an OK month, especially with weather we're having now. But if a tropical system rolls in where it rains every day that could be a different story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weeks.png
Views:	19
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	39990  
Old 11-02-2022, 02:13 AM   #17

THOR #5313
All good points/advice. Everybody should decide what best for them. Since our unit is home and plugged in fridge is on and I keep unit stocked and ready to move within 30 minutes. Fresh water tank full and clothes/supplies kept up. Rotate stock every 6 months or so. Fridge has only been turned off during propane refills (10 tanks/6 years) and every other year to defrost. Maybe keep it dry inside prevents much frost.

I do not know how long it takes for interior to get cellar smell. I have no interest in being a lab rat. My buddies who do not plug in smell much different than mine. Is their choice.

Do whar fits you best. Even with 2 dogs mine still smells new.