Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Ontario
THOR #5076
Four Winds 31W issues

Just back from our second trip with our 2016 31W. Another dry camping adventure. Still trying to figure out best way to keep the residential fridge from draining batteries so fast, everything I have been reading is that the coach batteries aren't very good from manufacturer. Will address this issue.

My question to fellow 31W owners, are you happy with your rig, any common issues I should be looking out for? We love ours, just want to hear from others!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:53 AM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Purchased a 2016 Chateau 31L in late June, have had it out twice. First trip 4k miles over 2 weeks, no issues. 2nd trip 300 miles 4 days no issues. Yet.
Leaving soon for 11 day boon docking trip in western Wyoming. Hopefully everything continues to go well.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

State: New Jersey
THOR #8571
I hope that you see this message! My question is: Does the refrigerator in a 31 W run solely on electricity? or can it also run on Propane? Thanks
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
they said it was a residential fridge, so it would be AC only...running by inverter form the batteries
Old 09-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Yes my 31W is electric only res fridge. 18 cubic ft. We never dry camp so we love it. When we take long trips it is nice to have a home style fridge. We have ice maker in it too. I wouldn't have an rv fridge again. Everything always seemed to be warm in our last rv, and we had the adjustment all the way as cold as it would go.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy&Bear2016 View Post
Just back from our second trip with our 2016 31W. Another dry camping adventure. Still trying to figure out best way to keep the residential fridge from draining batteries so fast, everything I have been reading is that the coach batteries aren't very good from manufacturer. Will address this issue.

My question to fellow 31W owners, are you happy with your rig, any common issues I should be looking out for? We love ours, just want to hear from others!
We purchased our Quantum WS31 in April. Yes, it has the resi fridge also. I had two 6v batteries installed hoping that would cure our battery issues, it didn't. After dry camping with ours two nights, I would say get the fridge as cold as possible and turn it of when going to bed. That way the low battery alarm won't be waking you at 2:30am like ours did.
I would also say, stay with 12v batteries IF you think you may (I did) go to four batteries. Four 6v batteries are not made to fit our battery tray. They are too tall to go under the step in the back of the tray. I had to do some extensive modifying under there to get four 6v batteries in there.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
I have the same frig in fourwinds sk35 I hope to install 2 more 12 volt batteries and possibly solar to help