Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29FE
State: Illinois
THOR #19500
First-time RV owner, Thor 29FE

Hello!

I just bought my first RV, the 29FE, 2 weeks ago from a private seller. It was a 2017 and in great condition per my inspector. My only other experience was renting a 27' LazyDaze for 2 weeks last summer just to see what it was like.

My first shakeout (shakedown?) trip was last week, Mon-Wed in Indiana Dunes Nat'l Park. I made 2 classic newbie mistakes: 1) Tried to fill water tank by sticking hose into City Water outlet (I'm learning) ; and 2) Didn't know about "secret" second black tank valve on passenger side that needed to be open to dump the tank.

I got help various online forums for #1, and luckily the seller was home when I called about probs emptying the black tank and he told me about the other valve.

Oh yeah and another problem, after I got the freshwater tank filled, I still couldn't get any water out. I ended up having to call Thor's emergency support line and it took him a awhile but figured out it was the valve next to the freshwater tank, it was still closed from dewinterizing.

Other than that it was great! LOL.

Glad to be here! Looking forward to many more trips with my 2 doggos.

AM

Old 07-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Wow!
A well written new rv owner who posts pictures!
That's fairly rare.
Welcome and Thanks for the well worded run down and cures.

And
If you look around the forum a bit you'll find some folks who have put floats in their freshwater tank and ran a line to the city water.
Automatic fill-up when you hook to city water.
About $15 in parts.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome Glad you were able to get things done and it will be a learning curve for a while. When you have questions, just ask them here on the forum. Someone will have an answer for you.

Paul
Old 07-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the best owners group anywhere!
Glad to see that your shakedown cruise went pretty well: even with a couple of interesting events along the way.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I have the exact same model and year as you. I'll try to answer some of your questions as you discover new issues.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

THOR #19500
@nosticks, cool!

You know my first challenge is lack of storage space, which didn't sink in until the final walk through. All other RVs I had looked at in this 30' size had storage under the bed, under both dinette benches, and under the sofa.

As you know, not this guy. Electric stuff under the bed, only one bench has a drawer, and the sofa hides the freshwater tank. And the outside storage isn't great shakes either.

I have so much stuff I want to store that has nothing to do with my personal clothes/toiletries. Camp chairs, firestarter, solar lamps, dog food, leashes, shoes, dog bowls, first aid, leveling blocks. screen tent thing, my bike, collapsible ladder, toolbox, computer and monitor and wifi stuff, broom, stick vac, portable washer thing, towels, etc.

If you have any ideas please let me know! I'd rather not devote the whole above the cab part to storage (and if I do I need to buy a net for it...)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sounds as if you're in the market for an enclosed utility trailer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
If you're serious about keeping this coach for a long time:
Look on the last few pages of my signature thread.
I added 6sqft of storage between the frame rails in the back and ALL of my plastic bins can be enlarged by at least 30%.
It'll be expensive, but so was your kit rv.
Make it yours, how you want it.
Don't settle for less.
Or
If you look in the for sale thread there's one of those neat one wheeled trailers for sale. They hard latch to your hitch so it's more of an rv extension than a trailer.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM   #9

THOR #19500
thanks I'll take a look!

But re the trailer, my purchase came with a toad. A small 2007 hatchback VW Rabbit, and the blue ox/patriot braking system. So I can't add a utility trailer. I guess I can put some stuff in there, though I wasn't planning on taking the car every time.

AM
Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc123 View Post
@nosticks, cool!

You know my first challenge is lack of storage space, which didn't sink in until the final walk through. All other RVs I had looked at in this 30' size had storage under the bed, under both dinette benches, and under the sofa.

As you know, not this guy. Electric stuff under the bed, only one bench has a drawer, and the sofa hides the freshwater tank. And the outside storage isn't great shakes either.

I have so much stuff I want to store that has nothing to do with my personal clothes/toiletries. Camp chairs, firestarter, solar lamps, dog food, leashes, shoes, dog bowls, first aid, leveling blocks. screen tent thing, my bike, collapsible ladder, toolbox, computer and monitor and wifi stuff, broom, stick vac, portable washer thing, towels, etc.

If you have any ideas please let me know! I'd rather not devote the whole above the cab part to storage (and if I do I need to buy a net for it...)
So you're saying that every square inch under the bed is electrical stuff?
What is a portable washer thing? Why a computer and monitor instead of a laptop computer? A small handheld vacuum works great in a small motor home. Why a collapsible ladder if the RV has a ladder on the back? Would a small folding step stool serve the purpose?

In our prior Class C we carried more than one could imagine but it did result in us thinking outside the box in how to pack (things fit inside other things) and what to take.

When we moved from the Class A to the Super C we lost about 50 cubic inches of storage space and my wife started complaining about not being able to take everything she wanted. As we were loading the new coach and taking things from bins into the coach it amazed me how much stuff she decided wasn't needed. She decided, all on her own, that we didn't need salad bowls, soup bowls and cereal bowls. She eliminated three large husky tubs of stuff from our storage requirements.

Be creative. You might not have room for everything you want to take but you do have room for what you need to take.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Sounds like Spring Cleaning Time.

Paul
Old 07-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
thanks I'll take a look!

But re the trailer, my purchase came with a toad. A small 2007 hatchback VW Rabbit, and the blue ox/patriot braking system. So I can't add a utility trailer. I guess I can put some stuff in there, though I wasn't planning on taking the car every time.

AM
Put a car topper on it, and pack it full!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Congratulations. Enjoy the adventures ahead of you. Sounds like you did great on your first outing. Take everything in stride and remember even when things don't go as you planned, that is just part of the journey.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Loose the junk. You most likely won't need it anyway.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:24 AM   #15

State: Oregon
THOR #18486
Hi there, I'm a first-time owner to in a Thor Four Winds 30 foot, it's interesting you mention the black water tank when I dump mine and press the button it still says it's a third full. Where is the other level that they told you about? Maybe that's my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Jeanie Blaske
Thor Four Winds 30FT
GOOD SAM MEMBER
Old 07-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Welcome to RV ownership. I’ve gone from tents to Class A over 40+ years. I learn something new somehow some way every time I go out. There’s always something to piddle with. Hope you have many happy travels ahead!
Old 07-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #17

Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
Welcome to the Forum. I have owned my 2018 29FE for about 1 1/2 years and so far, so good. I guess there are some differences between the 2017 and 2018 model years such as my fresh water tank is located/accessed on the wardrobe wall in the rear bedroom. I do have some storage area under the jackknife couch. My only issue so far is crimping/bending of 2 plumbing lines under the kitchen sink when bringing the slide in for storage. I now have my wife push the retract button while I hold these 2 lines and try my best to stop them from pinching. Anyway, I am glad to help answer questions for you if I can. Happy Travels!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #18

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Hello!

I just bought my first RV, the 29FE, 2 weeks ago from a private seller. It was a 2017 and in great condition per my inspector. My only other experience was renting a 27' LazyDaze for 2 weeks last summer just to see what it was like.

My first shakeout (shakedown?) trip was last week, Mon-Wed in Indiana Dunes Nat'l Park. I made 2 classic newbie mistakes: 1) Tried to fill water tank by sticking hose into City Water outlet (I'm learning) ; and 2) Didn't know about "secret" second black tank valve on passenger side that needed to be open to dump the tank.

I got help various online forums for #1, and luckily the seller was home when I called about probs emptying the black tank and he told me about the other valve.

Oh yeah and another problem, after I got the freshwater tank filled, I still couldn't get any water out. I ended up having to call Thor's emergency support line and it took him a awhile but figured out it was the valve next to the freshwater tank, it was still closed from dewinterizing.

Other than that it was great! LOL.

Glad to be here! Looking forward to many more trips with my 2 doggos.

AM
There is a FB group called RV Newbies that's excellent for info for newbies...check it out. Had a freedom elite.....all I can say is "Hang ona and keep both hands on the wheels." It will try to drive you rather than you drive it.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #19

Model: Freedom elite 26HE
State: Wisconsin
THOR #17018
Yeah the extra valve for the black tank got us too. 😁. Welcome to the forum, there are great folks here with as lot of knowledge for we newbies.
Drkevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #20

State: Oregon
THOR #18486
But where is the second lover for the black tank on a Thor Four Winds? Nobody seems to know the answer, or if they do they're not putting it here where we can read it LOL
Jeaniebtravel