Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Here's my camping world story: my wife and I were shopping for an Axis 24.1. I wanted a 2016 with the 6 speed transmission. My wife finds an Axis in stock at Camping World up in Oregon. The salesman assures my wife that it has the 6-speed (she asked multiple times because I was skeptical). So we buy cheap plane tickets to go up there and drive it down. Luckily, I looked up the VIN number and its the 5 speed. They lied to us repeatedly and we are out the $110 for the tickets. Bought from Total Value instead (great). I just spent a grand on RV supplies/upgrades and not a nickel went to Camping World.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
CW

ScottACE:

At this time I cannot since it is still in the hands of my attorney.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #23

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Here's my camping world story: my wife and I were shopping for an Axis 24.1. I wanted a 2016 with the 6 speed transmission. My wife finds an Axis in stock at Camping World up in Oregon. The salesman assures my wife that it has the 6-speed (she asked multiple times because I was skeptical). So we buy cheap plane tickets to go up there and drive it down. Luckily, I looked up the VIN number and its the 5 speed. They lied to us repeatedly and we are out the $110 for the tickets. Bought from Total Value instead (great). I just spent a grand on RV supplies/upgrades and not a nickel went to Camping World.
We too bought a 2016 (Ace 29.3) and found out we had a five speed and not a six speed. However we have read numerous complaints the tow function is not working on the six speed. Having used the tow function which helps slow the coach going down steep grades I am very happy I have the five speed. I doubt you would get better mileage with the six.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #5210
just remember you are the qc person here. rvs like everything made today are made on a well if it makes through warranty without a problem great they will fix the stuff and you will be happy till the next thing breaks and go back again. then warranty runs out and you become the mechanic or plumber or whatever and life goes on. just grin and bear it as they say and enjoy the time with the family cause thats the stuff that counts.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
Usually they are a waste of money. I did take out one at a small cost on our 2016 Ace... all it covers are major things like slides, refers, levelers etc. but this time the dealer didn't charge much. Maybe $2,400 for an additional three years.

On our prior coach, we paid $4,500 for a contract and after a month or two I cancelled it and got a refund.
I got suckered into a $10,000 warranty too
How did you get out of yours? I thought it was worked into the financing and there was no 'cooling off" period? I've owned my 2017 Thor Hurricanee 29M for 3 months
Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottACE View Post
Thank you to EVERYONE that has given me such great advice and insight. We have a 9:15am delivery time - so we have all day! I will be picky and thorough. I printed a detailed PDI checklist that I will be going through. I will probably not get the extended warranty at dealership. I will take the first year to shop around. Everyone here is so kind to share their experiences. Thank you!
You will love it ! Yes there will be little things that go wrong and I suggest you repair all that you are comfortable doing as they will be better than the dealership . My family and I love our 2017 29M
Happy camping !
Old 08-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #27

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Certainly there's got to be other dealers that you could buy your rig from besides CW, especially in the heart of RV factory land.

While we didn't buy our ACE from CW, we purchased a trailer from them. Their sales department was wonderful to deal with, but things immediately fell apart as soon as the ink was dry on the contract.

While you might feel like you're getting wonderful service right now, I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money that that service will end as soon as you're given the keys.

Please go visit RV.net and read the many, many posts about CW's abysmal reputation. Then find a dealer with a better reputation, a repair shop that's close to home, and ask Thor if they will work with that repair shop.

There's more than one place to get your dream motorhome. Don't be hasty just because you're excited. Think long-term, and having to deal with a repair shop at CW that will probably do more damage to your rig than you bring it in for.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #28

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
We bought from Camping world and had a pretty good experience. It was hard to look else ware because no other dealers would come within 10k of the price we got for our 2017 26' class C freedom elite.

I was very positive about wanting a warranty which may be why they had the price so low but at the table I got no warranty. I actually had no intention of ever getting a warranty but I use it for bargaining. They were going to charge me $12k for a 5 year warranty on a RV that I got for $60k. On top of that everyone says how bad they are for service so the way I feel is take the low prices and ditch the warranty. 10k will fix a lot of things in 5 years and the real expensive stuff like the chassis is covered for 3 years/36k.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #29

State: New Jersey
THOR #5264
Smile PDI List: My Pick up is tomorrow! Vegas 2016

Where can I find a PDI List as mentioned in this forum? We are picking up our Vegas 2016 tomorrow! Would love to print one out! Alas, my purchase is from CW... Thank you! MaggieB
Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #30

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Maggie:

Below is a link to an Owners' Manual I developed for my 2015 Vegas 24.1. I had been distributing this manual to new owners sending me an email and I'd forward the manual. So far I have sent this out to about 300 people. I now have it posted to Microsoft OneDrive so anyone can download it as a MS Word or Adobe PDF.

I have not updated it based on the evolution of the 2016 and 2017 models so the location of some of the things are different. But in general the manual still gives you a self-teaching guide to operating everything of the Vegas or Axis.

Contained in it is a Vegas/Axis specific PDI checklist. Again this is specific to the 2015 models but should still serve as a good reference for you.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #31

Model: Four Winds Hurricane
State: New Jersey
THOR #4899
Are your feet less cold now?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #32

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
Good luck. But after buying from Camping World last year and being a newbie I would say this.STAY AWAY FROM CAMPING WORLD AT ANY COST.

I have gotten more help from this site than I ever did at Camping world. Once they make the sale their service is the worst. Many things will go wrong and continue to go wrong. Service is the most important aspect of this purchase.

This site is the most helpful thing ever.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #5408
I really enjoy reading all this information because it is a learning process for sure! Being a new guy but still looking I find the info here on this forum very valuable!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #34

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
ScottACE,
Camping Worlds differ from site to site. Some are good. Some not so good. I suggest that you check the RV Service Review site for the one that you are planning to use to purchase your rig.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #35

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Indiana
THOR #5452
ScottACE,
Where in Indiana are you? I am in Indianapolis and looking to purchase an ACE. I haven't decided on a floorplan as yet, but this Forum is awesome for me to learn and research.
I will not use CW again, except to price shop. Sales were wonderful, but service department has been through more people in my 7 years dealing with them then should ever happen at any employer, it's crazy. To me that's a huge red flag.
I bought a new travel trailer from them in 2010 and have service issues with them all the time and it's not even for major things. Just this spring I went in to pick-up the trailer from being de-winterized and they couldn't find my paperwork and keys. The guy looked at me and said "new tongue jack, right?" Uh, no, de-winterized and he said "oh"! Guess what, I have a new tongue jack and was not de-winterized. They never did find the paperwork, the keys were eventually found...I can't explain why no paperwork....so I went on my marry way paying for a de-winterizing (I didn't know it wasn't de-winterized at the time). They never questioned the tongue jack.
Anyway, good luck. Let me know how you love the ACE, as I'm sure you will. Are you moving up to the ACE from a travel trailer? If so, I'm interested in your decision making process...why an RV and why the ACE.

Thanks,
Sue
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #36

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Wyoming
THOR #7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
Totally agree with JamieGeek!

Buying from a company with poor reviews (Camping World) seems to be, in my humble opinion, an unwise decision. Buying from a recommended, and reputable, dealer, while being further away, can make the real difference of loving or hating your decision.

Take 2-3 HOURS to do the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI). I took over 4 hours. Was the dealer thrilled? Nope. But it was MY money I was spending, and I wanted everything in good working order BEFORE signing.

Have the dealer SHOW YOU how to operate EVERYTHING! Every light switch, every control for slide(s) [and operate the slide in & out at least 3 times], make sure generator starts & stops from ALL the control panels (dash, on generator, etc). Everything should work correctly, to YOUR satisfaction.

I suggest printing off a PDI list from this forum, taking it with you and checking off EVERY item TO YOUR SATISFACTION (not the salesman's or the service tech's). And make sure your wife/significant other is happier than you. Trust me on that one!!! Do not let the dealer rush you!

Good luck! You, hopefully, will get a rig with zero problems, as I was fortunate to get.

Be safe,
Keith
Where do I fine the PDI list?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We bought our 16 Vegas 24.1 from a dealer here with less than 2K miles. We now have 8900 miles. Very few issues, shower drip from loose connection, slow drip from sink that i hand tightened every 3-4 months. That is all so far. Is learning curve. The Tech that walked us through unit took almost 4 hours to show everything. I was very impressed.

I just made payment number 12 and we are still impressed with the overall value of this unit. The hidden "Lemon" issue never came about.

Look at everything closely, take your time, ask questions. If anything out of sorts have them fix or cancel deal depending on impression.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
Where do I fine the PDI list?
You can find a decent PDI checklist at this link.

RV Inspection Checklist

If you don't like that one just google "RV PDI Checklist" and browse to your hearts content.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote