Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
Good Sam RV Insurance

Hi Everyone, We have an 2016 Challenger 37kt and our current RV insurance runs out in early Jan, been shopping around and it gets more confusing by the minute, has anybody used the Good Sam RV insurance and of course the real question is: if you had a claim how was it handled?
Any other additional comments welcome, t need to move on this by early January

Old 12-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Can't help much with claim experience (fortunately) - but I had Good Sam's on last RV - and just put new one on it as the Ford warranty was expiring...
The 'dealer purchased' option wanted full payment up front - Good Sam's lets you pay monthly - and adjust your deductible as needed (there is a delay before new deductible kicks in)

You can select the deductible to match your risk tolerance - of course higher deductible = lower premiums..
Last RV I went high - intending it to be 'catastrophic' type coverage only... Went a bit lower on this one as we are living it it much more.

Only claim experience was on the old RV - they had no issue covering at any service location I chose.. It was a chassis electrical issue - so RV dealer wouldn't touch... The amount ended up being under my deductible - so didn't have to actually file..

I added the tire coverage on current rig... A lot of conversation here about the expense if you have to buy a tire on road vs carrying a spare. They cover the cost of the new tire as long as there was serviceable tread remaining.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I've got Progressive with the diminishing co-pay. Just a few monts ago, I scraped a bullard to avoid a car that zoomed in. Progressive covered easy-peasy.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:47 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
ok... I read and answered this as extended repair 'insurance' rather than liability/collision/comprehensive.
For that I haven't used Good Sams at all.

Couple of differences I have seen between companies are:
  • how they determine replacement value
  • ability to get $0 comprehensive (full glass coverage)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Good Sam is not an underwriter, they broker the insurance. You should be able to get so many quotes yourself on line from several insurance companies that your mailbox will overflow. Shop it yourself and save.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
We had Progressive for years. One of the main reasons we initially went with them was that they were one of the few that offered full timers RV insurance. Once we came off the road and purchased a home we began changing the policy with them but they ended up being too expensive for several reasons.

Good Sams insurance had pretty good reviews plus when we put our MH in storage our rate goes down by about half. They are easy to work with as far as taking it in and out of storage and tweaking your coverage. We have never had a claim for I have no personal experience there.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 23h
State: Colorado
THOR #5933
This summer (08/2016), Colorado Springs suffered a catastrophic hail storm. I had a Coleman travel trailer that was completely wiped out. It suffered hail damage on all four sides! I have Good Sam insurance. They sent a adjuster out to inspect and he was barely out of the car when he told me it would be totaled. Good Sam insurance paid off my loan and because I had replacement coverage, Camping World received a check for me to purchase a 2017 camper, which I did. I also received a $300 check for external damage to add-on items which I had put on the camper. I was completely impressed with their service and I recommend them wholeheartedly. I have since insured my new camper with Good Sam insurance if that makes a difference. The insurance company is National General and I believe they just use the Good Sam name...
Old 01-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #5937
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullewin View Post
This summer (08/2016), Colorado Springs suffered a catastrophic hail storm. I had a Coleman travel trailer that was completely wiped out. It suffered hail damage on all four sides! I have Good Sam insurance. They sent a adjuster out to inspect and he was barely out of the car when he told me it would be totaled. Good Sam insurance paid off my loan and because I had replacement coverage, Camping World received a check for me to purchase a 2017 camper, which I did. I also received a $300 check for external damage to add-on items which I had put on the camper. I was completely impressed with their service and I recommend them wholeheartedly. I have since insured my new camper with Good Sam insurance if that makes a difference. The insurance company is National General and I believe they just use the Good Sam name...
Thanks Paul this is what I was looking for, someone who had major damages and that they paid up as promised. It looks to be a good deal and I feel pretty certain I will go with them.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #970
I have AARP/Hartford on my home and cars, which include the RV. The rate for all was much less then I could find anywhere else. When my RV was broken into and everything stolen out of it in the storage facility they responded fast. I sent them the police report and a list of items and a few receipts I had, they paid quickly without contesting. even things I had no receipts for. It was actually my homeowners that paid the loss. So maybe a good idea to keep both with the same insurance?