Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #2261
Greetings/Newbies #1 ???

Hello to all,
I think my first question about RVs was "Should I buy a new entry level Class A or buy a Rock Star model that's a decade old?"
It took a while but I found both for the same price.
Whats the better deal a new 2016 ACE 29.3 or a pristine 2006 Fleetwood 39L with 19K miles 330 HP Cat. Pusher 7.5 K gen. Air Ride and everything else you would want then?
Oh yea did I say pristine?
On one hand I would like the shorter chassis of the ACE but I do like all the refinements of the 39L.
Originally I was thinking the older and more complicated Fleetwood with its Caterpillar engine and decade old fixtures might need repaired within the next 5 to 7 years and thought repair may not be cheap or simple ones.
The ACE is new for now.
After looking at some of these posts I'm wondering how dependable the ACE will be.
Which will give me the biggest bang for the $ ?
Thanks for your response . Oh yea I'd like to pick up something on Tuesday.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luff View Post
Hello to all,
I think my first question about RVs was "Should I buy a new entry level Class A or buy a Rock Star model that's a decade old?"
It took a while but I found both for the same price.
Whats the better deal a new 2016 ACE 29.3 or a pristine 2006 Fleetwood 39L with 19K miles 330 HP Cat. Pusher 7.5 K gen. Air Ride and everything else you would want then?
Oh yea did I say pristine?
On one hand I would like the shorter chassis of the ACE but I do like all the refinements of the 39L.
Originally I was thinking the older and more complicated Fleetwood with its Caterpillar engine and decade old fixtures might need repaired within the next 5 to 7 years and thought repair may not be cheap or simple ones.
The ACE is new for now.
After looking at some of these posts I'm wondering how dependable the ACE will be.
Which will give me the biggest bang for the $ ?
Thanks for your response . Oh yea I'd like to pick up something on Tuesday.
The first question that you must ask yourself is what do you intend to do with a motor coach? Is it going to be for weekend jaunts to campgrounds or is it going to be for long distance trips spanning the course of several weeks?

If you are planning on wintering in warmer climates some of the RV resorts restrict coaches by class and age. For example there are some resorts that restrict to Class A no older than 8 years. The age restriction is often locked in stone regardless of condition while others will perform allow exceptions based on condition.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The first question that you must ask yourself is what do you intend to do with a motor coach? Is it going to be for weekend jaunts to campgrounds or is it going to be for long distance trips spanning the course of several weeks?

If you are planning on wintering in warmer climates some of the RV resorts restrict coaches by class and age. For example there are some resorts that restrict to Class A no older than 8 years. The age restriction is often locked in stone regardless of condition while others will perform allow exceptions based on condition.
Really? This is something I didn't know!

I assume that a resort would make this type of limitation abundantly clear prior to taking reservations?

We are not the "resort" types, so I guess we won't have to worry about this, but I was quite surprised to learn of this restriction! Thanks for sharing so we can be more cognizant of this issue!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #4

State: West Virginia
THOR #2261
Good point. i never consider that. RV resorts? Makes sense II guess. I'll just stay in state parks then.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've heard of those; even stayed in one once.

As an example, here is one: (Its actually owned by the owners of the Petoskey KOA just down the street)
Rental Reservations - Hearthside Grove

Quote:
Hearthside Grove Motorcoach Resort is a Class A only RV resort with restrictions on length (30′ or greater), age (10 years or newer), and pets (max of 2).
I saw another one in Michigan that had similar rules but would make exceptions for "exceptionally restored" vintage units (e.g. Airstream, etc.).

(We've never stayed in Hearthside Grove; we did get a tour of it when we were at the Petoskey KOA and they were offering tours showing their new property. As part of the tour they were showing a $1M Prevost motorhome.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote