Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace
State: Illinois
THOR #6578
A Griswold moment

Hi,

We took our brand new 2017 ACE out for the first time this last weekend and thought I would share our Griswold moment. We parked and got setup, put out the awning and went to turn on the awning LED's and its not working. We tested them before and all was fine so what could be wrong. We're turning the light switch on and off, checking for loose wiring and getting a little annoyed that it broke already when all of a sudden they come on by themselves? Confused, I asked my wife if she did anything and she said that she just was lowering the drop down bed. After a little investigation we learned that they wired the LED's through the drop down bed keyed switch and when that switch is locked the lights won't work. So now we know! But it reminded me of the Christmas lights scene in National Lampoons Christmas vacation!

Excited to be a new Thor owner and great to see there is a community here to help us out should we need it.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Other ACE owners will have to say whether or not their awning LEDs are wired the same, but to me that is not right. You should not have to turn the bunk key on to get power to the awning lights. If it were me that would be on the punch list for a warranty visit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
'15 ACE 29.3
Last night while setting up, I lowered the bed and as always, I turn off the key. I also put the awning out and tested LED lights...Ops check, good.

I don't believe there should be any connection between the two systems.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Model: Ace
State: Illinois
THOR #6578
Thanks, now you have me wondering, ours is a 2017 30.4, we'll see if anyone else has this situation or not. It's not a big deal but I suppose if it is miswired it should be looked at.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
State: Florida
THOR #6288
I think THOR hired the Griswald crew, it seems we (Thor RV owners) run into these issues all the time.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Alabama
THOR #3619
The LED awning lights on my 2016 ACE 30.1 work as intended - w/o the bed lift switch on. Truly amazes me sometimes how the manufactures can make such crazy and out-of-this-world mistakes Sometimes you just can’t make this stuff up!
Hwy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #8759
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpmickey View Post
Hi,

We took our brand new 2017 ACE out for the first time this last weekend and thought I would share our Griswold moment. We parked and got setup, put out the awning and went to turn on the awning LED's and its not working. We tested them before and all was fine so what could be wrong. We're turning the light switch on and off, checking for loose wiring and getting a little annoyed that it broke already when all of a sudden they come on by themselves? Confused, I asked my wife if she did anything and she said that she just was lowering the drop down bed. After a little investigation we learned that they wired the LED's through the drop down bed keyed switch and when that switch is locked the lights won't work. So now we know! But it reminded me of the Christmas lights scene in National Lampoons Christmas vacation!

Excited to be a new Thor owner and great to see there is a community here to help us out should we need it.
Thanks SO much for this post! We just bought our new 2017 ACE 30.4 on Wednesday, and the LEDs worked fine during the walk-thru. But when we tried them that night at home - nada. We finally called Camping World - they suggested it could be a GFI breaker (nope!). So when we saw this post we tried turning the key on the bad - and it worked!! Nice, very nice!!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post
The LED awning lights on my 2016 ACE 30.1 work as intended - w/o the bed lift switch on. Truly amazes me sometimes how the manufactures can make such crazy and out-of-this-world mistakes Sometimes you just can’t make this stuff up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle M View Post
Thanks SO much for this post! We just bought our new 2017 ACE 30.4 on Wednesday, and the LEDs worked fine during the walk-thru. But when we tried them that night at home - nada. We finally called Camping World - they suggested it could be a GFI breaker (nope!). So when we saw this post we tried turning the key on the bad - and it worked!! Nice, very nice!!
I don't think I'd call your CW for help again!! All lighting in your rv & everyone else's is 12 volt (batteries) so the GFCI (which is120 volt) will have absolutely NOTHING to do with your awning lights or any other light in your rv, they may blow a fuse though. If your microwave or various plugs don't work then check the GFCI first thing.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote