Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Colorado
THOR #3679
Upgraded to 2018 29M Windsport

Hi all,

Just traded in my Vegas for a Windsport. I have been reading all the great info here! Got many mods on my list including the CHF.

I got one question right now. My Windsport is a 50 amp with 2 A/C units. My first trip is this week. Headed to Lubbock for Tech Graduation. Booked my RV spot back 4 months ago for my Vegas and only got a 30 amp site. All campgrounds are now full. Were I am staying has me on a wait list for a 50 amp spot. I do have an adaptor to reduce my 50 down to a 30.

My question is... Plugged into a 30 in hot Lubbock heat - could I run both A/C units and nothing else in the rig? I will have 4 adults trying to dress for graduation. I guess I could just run my generator for a few hours while folks get ready. In the evening I would hope one A/C unit will handle it for sleeping. Maybe talk the KOA into letting me run the generator for a few hours.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Upgraded to 2018 29M Windsport

Not very likely. But it won’t hurt to try just to see if you can. If anything trips, it would be the breaker at the power pedestal. We used to run 2 A/C units on our old 30A coach but I think they were smaller A/C units.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Like jpm said, all you can do is try it and see! Keep all the window blinds down to reduce heat from the sun.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach! Go to Jerry’s Hurricane mods for a loooong list of Great mods you can do, plenty of ideas to keep you busy and your wallet empty. I post a simple mod for the ac units that allow more air output, don’t remember what page they are on, really makes a big difference in cooling!

Have a safe trip and lots of fun!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

THOR #3679
Thanks. I will give it a try!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Let us know how the AC units perform in the heat; with only 30 amps to power them: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Congratulations on your new coach! Some folks trade to bigger, some like us trade to smaller. So nice when you get it right!

You are likely pushing the limit with 2 ACs, without 50a. In your situation, I'd try it, but run the water heater on gas and don't run the microwave or a hair dryer.

Check the cord, if it is getting hot at the ends, you need to go to Plan B. The generator is a good back up plan. Allow for using a half gallon of gas per hour.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Since the rig is 50A, the only part that might heat up are the 30-50 adapter... and worst case you trip the pedestal breaker..
Both ACs running in my 2014 Hurricane show about 28A per my surge guard. Startup of the second would be where you would likely see a problem (and if they both start together - most definitely...)

Definitely leave the water heater on gas... and limit other usage as Mr Sunshine suggested.

The genny is a good alternative for daytime if the pedestal breaker trips.
In FL summers - haven't found the need to run both ACs at NIGHT yet... Only in the heat of the day in the sun.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #10552
I just got back from a trip with my windsport 29m. Had a 30 amp hookup and decided to try both AC's. No problems.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #10

THOR #5196
Glad everything worked out good for you! Newer AC’s are more efficient and draw less amps than older models. When you have time you should look at the AC mod, simple, cheap, and easy to do. Makes a Big difference, plus you can direct the cold air where you want it much better!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #11

THOR #3679
Completed my trip this last weekend.

Ran both A/Cs with out a problem on a 30 AMP hook up. I checked the power cord from time to time to see if i was getting too hot. I did not notice problem. Kept the fridge and water heater on gas and shut down one of the A/Cs when making coffee or blow dryers and curling irons were are work. One nice thing I noticed. I thought with 2 A/C units the vents in the ceiling would be separate from front to back but they are all connected together. So with only one A/C unit running there is flow of cool air throughout the unit.

New Development:
It rained two nights I was there and was able to observe water leaking into the motorhome from the front A/C unit. - Back in the shop for repairs.

Tags
29m, 50 amp in a 30