Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Europe
THOR #26254
Smile Let the adventure begin!!

Hi there, here's me saying hello to the folks out there. I'm in the planning phase of our adventure now that I've retired.... travel the 49 US continental states and a bit of Canada in an RV!!... and part of the planning is of course purchasing the RV first :-)

I'm in the hunt for a Damon Tuscany ( I love the exterior)... so let's see how it goes!! My experience in motorhomes has been only in Europe (Switzerland, Italy, France, Germany, Netherlands, Scotland, England...) but is is time to move from the white boxes to a large 40 ft more fashionable colored RV...

Once I am up and running I will send you our blog so you can follow our journey!!

Cheers from Spain
PS. Send me a note if you are selling your Tuscany

Old 03-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 03-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Glad you joined us on the forum. Good luck finding your new coach and exploring in it.

Paul
Old 03-17-2022, 01:11 PM   #4

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your retirement!

You'll have many decisions and a lots planning to keep you occupied.
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard from Indiana!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #6

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachray View Post
Welcome to the forum
Thank you!!
Old 03-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #7

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your retirement!

You'll have many decisions and a lots planning to keep you occupied.
Haha yea!! Can't wait!!
Old 03-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #8

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Welcome aboard from Indiana!
Thanks!! Indiana!! I shall be there one day....
Old 03-18-2022, 10:09 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #26214
Welcome from Texas!
Old 03-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #10

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1anchor View Post
Welcome from Texas!
Thank you! One of the states I’ve visited the most ( business meetings mostly); I have many friends in Houston! But this time I won’t land at IAH but in my own coach 😊
Old 03-19-2022, 08:55 PM   #11

State: Arizona
THOR #26273
Hello Wanderers
I just purchased a Chateau 27R and will retire in 3 months. Taking short trips now and looking forward to longer ones soon.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Welcome and enjoy retirement!

A nice newer clean low milageTuscany can be found for around $200k
Old 03-20-2022, 10:35 AM   #13

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Welcome and enjoy retirement!

A nice newer clean low milageTuscany can be found for around $200k
Yes, I've seen a few but unfortunately I'm living the same experience when I bought my boat..... people don't reply to your messages.... others have been sold and they haven't updated the list for sale, etc..... for instance, this smartRVguide thing is the worst.... I've sent so many messages and no replies whatsoever!!

Is there a better website other than smartRVguide, rvtrader..... I really don't want to tour the whole country visiting the dealers in person..... I'd like to do it once I have a short list of 4- 6 RV to choose from!!
Old 03-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRVadventures View Post
Yes, I've seen a few but unfortunately I'm living the same experience when I bought my boat..... people don't reply to your messages.... others have been sold and they haven't updated the list for sale, etc..... for instance, this smartRVguide thing is the worst.... I've sent so many messages and no replies whatsoever!!

Is there a better website other than smartRVguide, rvtrader..... I really don't want to tour the whole country visiting the dealers in person..... I'd like to do it once I have a short list of 4- 6 RV to choose from!!
SmartRVguide is more of a list of past listing and is NOT current. You can look at listings and see when they were posted, often many months ago. Its usefulness might be just to see what has been out there in the past. Sadly dealers don't keep ads current for a reason, they want you to call them so they have your contact and/or steer you to something else they have. RVtrade, RVT probably your best sources but after you find one on this sites, go directly to the dealership website since it MAY be more current. No guarantees though. In today's market a good condition well priced RV is likely to sell quickly so what you see today may be gone tomorrow.

Don't put too much emphasis on external appearance. That's bling and fluff and be more concerned about an RV with good bones and better build quality. In my opinion that isn't a thor product but to each their own.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:41 AM   #15

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
SmartRVguide is more of a list of past listing and is NOT current. You can look at listings and see when they were posted, often many months ago. Its usefulness might be just to see what has been out there in the past. Sadly dealers don't keep ads current for a reason, they want you to call them so they have your contact and/or steer you to something else they have. RVtrade, RVT probably your best sources but after you find one on this sites, go directly to the dealership website since it MAY be more current. No guarantees though. In today's market a good condition well priced RV is likely to sell quickly so what you see today may be gone tomorrow.

Don't put too much emphasis on external appearance. That's bling and fluff and be more concerned about an RV with good bones and better build quality. In my opinion that isn't a thor product but to each their own.
Thank you!! Great comments. This brings me to another issue.... when I bought my first boat I had a mechanic doing a comprehensive survey, a sea trial and even an engine oil sample check up.... I paid a few hundred dollars and I was happy with the result which led me to make an offer that was accepted by the seller..... do we have something like this in the RV world? I mean could I ask the seller to get ready for a complete RV check up which eventually could be a deal breaker if things aren't as good as I expected? Thanks
Old 03-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #16

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Thank you!! Great comments. This brings me to another issue.... when I bought my first boat I had a mechanic doing a comprehensive survey, a sea trial and even an engine oil sample check up.... I paid a few hundred dollars and I was happy with the result which led me to make an offer that was accepted by the seller..... do we have something like this in the RV world? I mean could I ask the seller to get ready for a complete RV check up which eventually could be a deal breaker if things aren't as good as I expected? Thanks
Yes a prepurchase inspection is a good idea and is done by some but most just blunder into a purchase and then find unexpected deficiencies. That applies to new as well as used.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #17

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

Follow MHSRV for awhile. They get some great used or consignment coaches and you can stay on the lot while you check it out overnight or two nights if needed.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #18

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Yes a prepurchase inspection is a good idea and is done by some but most just blunder into a purchase and then find unexpected deficiencies. That applies to new as well as used.
Excellent; I'll do that indeed!!
Old 03-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #19

THOR #26254
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Follow MHSRV for awhile. They get some great used or consignment coaches and you can stay on the lot while you check it out overnight or two nights if needed.
Super!! I have to visit Alvarado, TX.... that place definitely doesn't stop amazing me!! I Hope prices are amazing as well..... in a good way for me I mean...