Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
WAD

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #5876
Hi All Introductions

Hello,

I am looking at getting a Thor ACE or Vegas. I am wanting to full time RV. I have a good job that I can telecommute. So I can create a mobile lifestyle. I am soo tired of paying rent at $1500 in the Austin TX area. The area is nice but not worth it too me.

Does anyone full time w/a Vegas or ACE?

Anyway I look forward to getting to know everyone in this community.

WAD

Old 11-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest to go mobile. Not sure if anyone is full-timing in those coaches or not, but I'm sure you will get more replies and info from others here. Stick around enjoy and learn.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome.

You probably could full-time in an Axis/Vegas if you are alone. Adding in just one other person and it may get a little cramped. Granted if you want to get into some tighter places an Axis or Vegas would be perfect.

The ACE would provide a bit more living area and thus may be more comfortable...

But it all depends on what you are looking for and can deal with
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAD View Post

Welcome to the forum! Good question! You may find a few full-timers here. You would likely find more on a more general forum like IRV2.com or goodsamclub.com

Like everything else, with RVs it is different strokes for different folks. There are folks who full-time with smaller RVs than the Vegas/Axis, but they are somewhat rare. Probably not all that many in the Vegas or Axis either.

Before you go shopping, look real hard at what you would have to pack along, tools, chairs, tables, mats, etc, and compare that to the storage of the units you are considering. If you can travel light, Vegas or Axis could be just the ticket!

Remember that guy Thoreau? He wrote a popular book about a simple lifestyle in a tiny cabin in the woods of Massachusetts. Well, the rest of the story is that he only lived there for 2 years, 2 months and 2 days. Then he went back to his house in the city.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
We just got a 2017 ACE 29.3 this year. If there are two of you it may work. Just one, prefect. It could get a little tight.

Someone suggested inventory of what you want to bring. Good plan! We liked the floor plan of the 29.3, but not the outside kitchen. It ate up about half the storage space. I found that it was optional. It was not easy to find that. What tipped me off is that the specs showed the storage space available with or without the exterior kitchen. It was not a checklist item to add or drop the kitchen. So I asked and found it can be deleted.

So look for subtle things like that when shopping too.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #6
WAD

State: Texas
THOR #5876
Thank you for the warm welcome. I spent over 20 years in the USAF and I got use to traveling light. I don't have much to begin with and getting rid of the non essential will be easy, its the sentimental stuff that I will have to deal with.

Walden Pond, yea 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days.... I need a change of scenery... Paying for a house, taxes and utilities seems like a low return on investment since the housing bubble of 2008. Getting a house or real estate was a way for the average American to gain some wealth. Thats not the case any more. Its now turned into a form of monetary slavery. I don't mean to sound like a radical or anything. The cost of housing is way more then it needs to be. I am tired of paying for things because i have too...

I started this research when I was looking at tiny homes. I want to have a small foot print and enjoy my life and freedoms as best as I can.

I had a GF, and I moved to TX after retiring from the AF 3 years ago. So I am by my self. Not even a dog. Thinking about getting plastic fish... Low maintenance...
Old 11-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Having read all of our posts and those of others...
We agree...take your time and look at everything you can ! The search can be alot of fun ! Mainly, due to the fact that most sales people at RV Centers don't want to have much to do with you until you know what you want and come looking for them !!
Go to the Thor Motorhome website...there you can view the floorplans and get an idea of what is available.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAD View Post
Hello,

I am looking at getting a Thor ACE or Vegas. I am wanting to full time RV. I have a good job that I can telecommute. So I can create a mobile lifestyle. I am soo tired of paying rent at $1500 in the Austin TX area. The area is nice but not worth it too me.

Anyway I look forward to getting to know everyone in this community.

WAD
Hey hey there.... You might want to check out the Corps of Engineers as a volunteer. You get free parking with all hook ups and you only have to do odd things and jobs 20 hours a week. We were gate attendants this past summer at Danna Peak, 4 days on 4 days off and they even paid us.... LOL...
Old 11-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
KNK

Model: Ace
State: Virginia
THOR #5877
New member, Hello

Good morning, My wife and I just purchased our 1st RV. We bought a 2016 Thor Ace and will be picking up this Saturday. I have an inspection checklist I printed off ChanginGears.com. What else should I expect during the acceptance inspection?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #10

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNK View Post
Good morning, My wife and I just purchased our 1st RV. We bought a 2016 Thor Ace and will be picking up this Saturday. I have an inspection checklist I printed off ChanginGears.com. What else should I expect during the acceptance inspection?
Welcome to the forum. I looked at the website you mentioned and it looks like a good check list. You may want to take a look at Ed's manual (link below) which has a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) section in it. As has been mentioned on the forum many times, a good well respected dealer known to work with you after the sale is very important.
Congrats on your new RV and hope you have many happy trips.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
Old 11-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #11

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Back to the OP, WAD, thanks for your years of service to our country!

Many have suggested that you rent an RV to get some idea of how it all works and what you might want and must have. If I was traveling mostly alone, I would look at Class B's. They will keep you traveling super light!

We found we didn't need all the space and storage of our previous 33' Class A, but the Class B's, even with the Sprinter Chassis, were too cramped for us. I wouldn't care for a wet bath, where you shower over the toilet, or a corner bed which is difficult to make. All that is what led us to the Vegas (or Axis). Used Class C's are more plentiful and worth considering, too. Both are like a tiny house, but much easier to relocate! And when you full-time, you never have to pack!

Happy hunting!