Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 04:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #7821
Hello

My name is Sam and we are from Western North Carolina. Our Thor Compass is our third RV and so far refrigerator doesn't work, Jensen DVD/stereo does not work, door opener fell off, and power keeps needing reset. Still have not made a trip. Hope to get answers from y'all on how to remedy the issues. The nearest dealer is two hours away.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You didn't say if you bought new or used. If you have warranty, call Thor and see if they will authorize repairs closer to your home. If you are out of warranty, look for a repair tech closer, or a mobile tech.

If the refrigerator works on electric but not gas, try lighting a burner to get the gas flowing, then turn the refrigerator to the GAS setting. A handy little trick some folks never need to learn!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Model: 28z
THOR #7401
Don't know exactly where you are in WNC but we bought our coach at Camping World, Tampa, needed some things done and CW in Spartanburg were very good. Took them a while to find and fix the problem but they did. Paul, if he hasn't retired, is the service manager and was very good
Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

THOR #7821
Mr Sunshine, Refrigerator works on propane and not gas. We are isolated in the mountains, two hours is a close drive for us unfortunately.

Gary, we are outside Tennessee in Robbinsville. Thanks for the tip. It may be worth going there. We bought a 2017 with 2400 miles on it (used). Bought from Kia dealership in Murphy that sells used RVs.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 AM   #5

THOR #1589
Ok, you do know that propane is gas, right? No RV refrigerator runs on gasoline, to my knowledge. Did you try the trick I mentioned, to light a stove burner and then try to start the refrigerator on propane?
There have been times when I have had to do that to get the fridge to light. Usually after a period of not being used. One it starts, you probably won't have to do that again as long as you use it off and on. Good luck to you!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 AM   #6

THOR #7821
That should have said runs on propane and not electric. The freezer will drop about 10 degrees and then goes back to higher temperature. It doesn't run on battery either.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamB View Post
That should have said runs on propane and not electric. The freezer will drop about 10 degrees and then goes back to higher temperature. It doesn't run on battery either.
One of the reasons I was thrilled my Thor MH came with a residential frig was my past experience with RV frigs. My last 2 fivers had Norcold frigs and both demonstrated inconsistency holding temps. My freezer could be 5 degrees then 4 hours later it could read 22 degrees. They never went above 24 or 25 degrees but the temps were all over the place.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I have a norcold and I don't think it was ever designed to work on 12v- just 110 (shore power) or propane?
Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

Model: 28z
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
I have a norcold and I don't think it was ever designed to work on 12v- just 110 (shore power) or propane?
Yep, only 110 or propane.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #10

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Since you said this is a Compass -- does the Tankless Hot Water Heater which is only propane work? If so, and your burners light -- then there is no obstruction in the propane manifold system preventing the gas from getting to the refrigerator.

You said the power keeps needing to be reset -- what exactly do you mean? The refrigerator when it is set to gas still needs 12 VDC for the sensors and to operate the ignition system for the refrigerator burner. If you are having DC power problems, that could be affecting the refrigerator's operation on gas.

Also, to my knowledge the refrigerators Thor uses are AC and propane. I do not think they are using refrigerators that are AC/DC/gas. Is the refrigerator operating without any problems when in electric mode? In that mode it is using AC power; however, the sensors are still using 12 VDC. If the sensors are working then the refrigerator is getting 12 VDC; however, there still may be a problem with the circuit for the propane ignitor.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:06 AM   #11

THOR #1589
Umm, one other idea: are you turning off the Use/Store switch? Maybe that is why it works on propane and not on electric. Just a thought...
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #12

THOR #7821
Ok, the propane works, AC connection doesn't work. I was unaware that it wouldn't work off battery as our last one had a home refrigerator that did, but never the less, works only on propane. I did check the on/store switch and initially it was off, then I turned it on and didn't still work. Now, our Thor is sitting on a hill as my entire property is on a mountain. I wouldn't see why that would be an issue with electric unless someone else does. We initially took it to Walmart for a test drive (three hour round trip for us) and everything worked perfect. We had a New Fleetwood that the dealer bought back that was a lemon, then bought a new Tiffin which we had issues with then sold that to retire and be debt free in 2015. Just bought this little guy hopping our luck would change..............it didn't. Thanks for everyone's help.