Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #7818
Hello

Just bought a 2018 Thor Synergy. We are moving from a 40 ft diesel pusher to this 25 footer. Any advise as how to make the transition?

Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #7329
Pack light
Old 06-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome and congrats! May be some adjustments for sure.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:19 AM   #4

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Billion,

We went from a 40 ft. 5th wheel to our Synergy TT24 and yes, it still is an adjustment.
You have to be more selective about what you take and how much you take. I don't mind it being smaller because it is more economical to drive and I can use the automotive diesel pumps instead of the trucker pumps. I'm still trying to figure out how to pack for trips but I am getting there. Everything is more compact so I haveto be more creative in my approach but it can be done. Be sure to load the motorhome like you would for a trip and have an alignment done. Mine was out of alignment from the get-go. You already know about warranty repairs so try to get those done ASAP. Mine had leaks that should have never made it off the Thor property but the dealer did a good job of fixing things.

I really like driving this thing and I hope to use it a lot in the years to come. We put over 15k miles last year and got 14.5 mpg (headwinds) to 18 mpg (flatlands) at around 62 mph. Keep track of your your weight too as there are limitations compared to your DP.

Get out and enjoy your new ride and it's great to see another Synergy owner!

Ed and Robin
2016 Thor Synergy TT24
Beaver, WV
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #7818
Tt24

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought about alignment in a new vehicle. I will look into that for sure. We also have the TT24 model with the reclining seats. So far, we find the coach to be quite comfortable. I also enjoy not having to mix it up with the semis at the truck stops.

So far, we have only taken short trips so packing hasn't been a problem. There is a mountain of "stuff" that came out of the 40' DP that hasn't and won't make it to the Synergy. A good share of the mountain hasn't been used in a decade or so.

We are going to try to travel and not pull a toad. Hope that works out as it is a pleasure not to have to worry about the toad and all the concerns that goes with it. The Synergy is fun to drive. It drives like a car. Good acceleration and a reasonable stopping distance.

We also had quite a few problems that the dealer needed to fix. I won't get into all the problems, but the dealer had to keep it for a couple of weeks just to fix them all. I also felt that the coach should never have left the factory with all the problems it had. Thor needs to seriously look into better quality control. There is a lot of just plain ol' sloppy workmanship. But..............having said all that, we are pleased with our Synergy and look forward to some quality travel in it.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!
We downsized from a 33' Class A to our Vegas, which is about 26'. We haven't missed the things we threw out. We weren't ready to trim down enough to fit our stuff into a Synergy, but it is appealing for the reasons you listed.
Said before, RVs are a bit like shoes, different types for different folks, and our preferences change over time.
Happy trails!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We downsized from a 41' Tuscany to a 31' Windsport, go thru everything and you'll be surprised at what you can do without. Get rid of the pans you have never used, all the extra towels and dishes. Seems hard at first but it'll be fine. Hope you enjoy many happy and safe miles!!!