Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
that is an issue. If you're found in possession even a with ccw permit, it is an issue. Probably more for active service than us old peeps. Imo if you're staying on base it is worth the hassle. As i said, just my opinion
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180626_192216.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	12511

Old 08-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_dude View Post
Great advice thanks. My only complaint is I have to check my weapons into Security Forces armory. That my deter me from staying on base.
Pick a base then check it's policies. Not all bases require you to check them in. This year we stayed at three bases.

JBLM, Seattle. No questions asked. The small PX at the Fam Camp sold pistols and rifles and had more than a dozen on display.

Camp San Luis Obispo, CA required you to register them. Did not have to turn them in.

Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, CA did not ask. Their policy requires you to register them if you are staying more than 72 hours.

I would be more concerned with the laws of the states I am travelling through. You could be transporting an illegal 'assault weapon' and not even know it.

You may have already taken care of it, but you definitely will have issues with Canada.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #23

State: Alaska
THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
That is an issue. If you're found in possession even a with CCW permit, it is an issue. Probably more for active service than us old peeps. IMO if you're staying on base it is worth the hassle. As I said, just my opinion
Yep I am active duty so subject to the UCMJ. Lol I don’t mess around when it comes to that.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #24

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
Pick a base then check it's policies. Not all bases require you to check them in. This year we stayed at three bases.

JBLM, Seattle. No questions asked. The small PX at the Fam Camp sold pistols and rifles and had more than a dozen on display.

Camp San Luis Obispo, CA required you to register them. Did not have to turn them in.

Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, CA did not ask. Their policy requires you to register them if you are staying more than 72 hours.

I would be more concerned with the laws of the states I am travelling through. You could be transporting an illegal 'assault weapon' and not even know it.

You may have already taken care of it, but you definitely will have issues with Canada.
Good to know about CA bases as we’re heading to the SD area. Regarding Canada yeah I had to fill out the paperwork when I was traveling to AK. All covered there.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:26 AM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #8902
Daughter in Air Force

Have a safe trip from Alaska. I am from Georgia, my daughter just arrived in Alaska to serve her 4yrs in the Air Force. We are visiting hopefully in Dec.
Be safe and God Bless.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:51 AM   #26

THOR #12752
Awesome! Elmondorf I’m assuming is the base she’s at? Thank you, sir and bless your family as well. - Shane
Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #4218
I am also in Alaska and am driving my 2016 Hurricane out to the west coast in late September. I wanted to point out if you didn't already know it that British Columbia has a law that requires all vehicles to be equipped with snow tires and/or chains if driving anywhere in the northern tier of the province after October 1. You can find more details with maps at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...hain-up-routes.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #28

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I spent some time at Elmendorf back in 1966. Safe travels.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #8374
Good Luck with a Thor!

Hope you have better luck with yours than I did mine. Had mine a year and it’s been in the shop on and off for a total of about 3 months. Everything from my awning coming loose and falling down while I was driving to my door to the bedroom coming off because the screws holding the hardware on were too short. Other problems too numerous to mention. Their customer service was non existant
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #30

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: South Dakota
THOR #12005
Are these cg for anyone who served (Navy Corpsman 69-73) or is it just for active and retired?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #31

State: Ohio
THOR #9048
Congrats, Take your time, and have fun. Been to FB to visit an AF friend and thanks for serving.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #32

Model: 30FE
THOR #11621
Air Force dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_dude View Post
Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome. Yes I will keep everyone abreast of our trip w/pictures.

This was taken in Healy, AK the first night I picked it up in Anchorage and drove 8 hrs all night back to Fairbanks. AK truck drivers at night are intense.
Nice rig,I have the same setup. 2017 30fe,I pull a Ford Escape on roadmaster tow dolly..,have fun on your travels..retired army
Old 09-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #33

Model: 30FE
THOR #11621
Nice pic, I have similar set up. I have 2017 Thor 30fe and I pull Ford Escape on a roadmaster tow dolly.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #34

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #13460
Welcome--sounds like a great trip, although as a born & raised NJ native who escaped to FL years ago, I wonder about your choice of final destination... Lol
Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #35

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg51 View Post
Welcome--sounds like a great trip, although as a born & raised NJ native who escaped to FL years ago, I wonder about your choice of final destination... Lol
Not by choice the AF is sending me there. I’ve got over 18yrs in so I can drop papers in a year and some change. We’ll make the best of it like every assignment. Status update: Almost to FL to visit folks. So far I’ve only had issues with my tow dolly. Not too bad though.