Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2020, 12:13 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tibuton 24RW
State: Missouri
THOR #14227
We don't have the A.C.E. but we do have a Freedom Traveler A30 which is very close to the A.C.E. 30.2. Our A30 does not have bunk beds but a second closet and a little more counter space in the kitchen. We have done the CHF and also had the front wheels aligned, also installed dynamat sound deadener. We flat tow a 4-WD 2019 ranger p/u. We are just changing from a 5-W to a motor coach...so far, so good.

The Ford f-53 chassis is not even close to the comforts of our F-350 KR but we needed to down size and so far this combo seems to be working fine.

Toad, 2019 Ranger
Retired School Teachers
Ozark Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #22

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #14923
Thor

I came from first a Chinook (21’) and then a 24’ class C. I wanted a class A with more room and a couch, but on the smaller side. I bought a used (2018) ACE 27.2. Total length is 28’9”. You save around $15k that way, and it only had 5k miles. It has a king bed and the electric fold down cab bed as well as the couch. My 2 complaints(aside from the general crap they build them with, but we all know that) are: Front R seat will not rotate past the couch (driver’s seat no problem) and there is an outside TV (which I’ll probably never use) behind the couch, making it impossible to replace it with a RecPro type double recliner. Those aren’t deal breakers, and I think the layout is otherwise great. It also has a GVW of 16k lbs, which I like, and can tow 5000lbs (My Tracker is 2800 lbs). Combined, it’s a nice, fairly economical setup. The 29.2 has the couch in the slide, and hence you can replace it with recliners. However, it’s longer, the main TV isn’t positioned as well, and weighs more. It’s really personal choice.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:41 AM   #23

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
How did they handle stuck slide?
We had to call an RV mobile repair man and we found the problem together, which amounted to a misalignment of one of the guide rails. He fixed the problem on the spot and we've never had an issue with the slide since. Thor reimbursed us for the service call, although I had to dog them about it after they "lost" the invoice.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #24

State: California
THOR #11267
Thumbs down Stay away from Thor

We bought a new 2018 Thor A.C.E. 27.2 in January 2018.
The headlights were so badly aimed it was not driveable at night.
The steering wheel was 60 degrees off center.
The furnace did not work.
The door was out of adjustment (it will be for life).
Took it back to the dealer. They had it for 10 days. Fixed NOTHING.
I had to take it to a different location of the same dealer and finally got the furnace to work. Took a YEAR. I took it to my local mechanic to get the headlight and steering issue resolved (out of MY pocket).
Had to put Bilsteins and Hellwig sway bars on it to make it driveable in the wind.
Now, with 13,000 miles on it the kitchen counter top is separating from the slide and I'm told that the very pricy "Bumper to Bumper" extended warranty won't cover it.
My advice is if it is from Thor, run for your life.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #25

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgford72 View Post
We bought a new 2018 Thor A.C.E. 27.2 in January 2018.
The headlights were so badly aimed it was not driveable at night.
The steering wheel was 60 degrees off center.
The furnace did not work.
The door was out of adjustment (it will be for life).
Took it back to the dealer. They had it for 10 days. Fixed NOTHING.
I had to take it to a different location of the same dealer and finally got the furnace to work. Took a YEAR. I took it to my local mechanic to get the headlight and steering issue resolved (out of MY pocket).
Had to put Bilsteins and Hellwig sway bars on it to make it driveable in the wind.
Now, with 13,000 miles on it the kitchen counter top is separating from the slide and I'm told that the very pricy "Bumper to Bumper" extended warranty won't cover it.
My advice is if it is from Thor, run for your life.
I’d say stay away from that dealer.

You didn’t notice steering wheel on test drive? Once you drive off the lot chassis issues are Ford’s problem.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:55 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I hope you were
Reminded instead of told, about what the warranty covers.

My cw was closed due to the gander restructure.
When I went there I was greeted in the parking lot with smiles and handshakes and introductions to new folk.

My smile, a couple of pizzas, a good attitude.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #27

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Hi,

I think you will have an easy time towing about anything. We have a 2017 29.3 and this last year I added a 2019 GMC Acadia as our toad. It pulls it with no problem (flat towing). I think you will find the RV has plenty of power. No real change in our gas mileage either. I was getting 7-9 MPG on average and am still getting the same numbers towing. I kinda expected that.

I had a Ford dealer do the CHF. I recommend that. Before the CHF I felt that there was a lot of play in the steering. I did not do any of the other mods people do. I have been happy with just the CHF. Also, towing seems to settle things down even more as far as tail wag. I don't notice a lot to start with, but it feels just a bit more solid.

Enjoy! John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #17722
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenPrice View Post
I am an experienced RV Traveler regretting having sold my last RV. The last few days my wife and I have been shopping. We came across the Thor A.C.E. and I fell in love with it.
Would love to hear more from ACE owners. The one we saw was 2018. We have to tow our Santa Fe Sport on a dolly. Wishing we had given more thought to the car buying when we thought we were out of the RV business.
Please offer any advice ... especially on the ACE.
Right now I'm thinking about buying a new RV. But I'm not too experienced in this stuff. If I have some question about it, I will ask you about it
Old 01-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Like our ACE

2018 ACE 27.2 here. Bought it used it was a rental for the dealer we purchased from. Most of the bugaboos were taken care of in the two seasons that the dealer had it out for rent. Only issue we had is the step motor crapped out and I, on the first trip and not used to the extra 2' height of the class A, wiped out the TV antenna on some low branches.
Did the CHF on front and rear, only suspension mod so far. I do have a front Trac bar to install that I ordered from Roadmaster after our extended trip last fall. I feel that upgrade will make the rig behave a little better on our crappy rut tracked highways. I don't understand why the 16000 lb chassis doesn't have one from factory and the 18000 and up do. Must of saved Thor $200
We have the ACE set up to flat tow our 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. The V10 has had no problems hauling the 4500 lb SUV at least around the Midwest and through the Smokies in TN and N.C. Next summer the Rockies will put the rig to the test.
I like the coach very much, the wife not so much. For 10 years we camped and traveled in a 22' Gulfstream B+ all controls were down low as were the cabinets, easy for my 4'11" DW to access. On the ACE 27.2 the control panel for kitchen slide, gen start, HWH switch and tank gauges are located high above the entry way above the steps, making accessibility for the wife virtually impossible. No way to put a step stool on the stairs. In addition the overhead bunk controller is on the opposite side also above the steps and darn near impossible for her to reach. Also with the added interior height of the class A lots of the overhead cabinets are difficult for her to access. I guess we should have researched these points closer before we purchased. (I operated all the controls during the PDI)
I am now looking at the AXIS this winter as the controls appear, at least on the vids I have seen online, more user friendly for shorter folks. In fact it is the inaccessibility of the gen start that is the wife's biggest complaint and on the AXIS 24.1 it appears it can be started on the dash as well as in the bedroom.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:13 AM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT1183 View Post
Tom Schaeffer's RV
1236 Pottsville Pike
Shoemakersville, PA 19555
Thanks! Good Dealers should get some "good press".
Old 01-04-2020, 03:45 AM   #31

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
Front R seat will not rotate past the couch (dc
Rich a question; 1st have you removed the couch arm and then pulled the passenger seat forward toward the dash before rotating. I know the seat will not come all the way around but if you remove the arm you will pick up another 30* in rotation. Enough to make watching the galley TV much easier on the neck
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #32

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Talking

We bought an ACE 32.1 last January. My wife hates it because of all the trouble we've encountered. QC at Thor is beyond horrible, BUT the factory has always taken care of the problems one way or another. Couldn't get the furnace to light, after many phone calls to techs, I finally decided to look for myself. Found the factory never connected the gas line.

CW where I bought it is good if you get the right serviceman, been back numerous times for the same repairs. 12 months later the door fits, doesn't lock us in or out, water leak is supposedly fixed (I bought my own PEX device now), GPS never worked even tho' they said it did (if it came on it worked to them) turns out the antenna was never installed.

Spent lot of $'s on handling, steering stabilizer, front sway bar, did CHF on rear, front end alignment, insulated the dog house (well worth it), just insulated underneath the cab with same stuff as doghouse (can't wait to see results). Bought EZ Tow dolly to pull behind.

Bottom line, it's an entry level unit at a good price, I like it! Only other complaint is lack of storage inside & out, but that's mostly doe to wife & her JUNK!

But wish I had my 5th wheel back, 2008 HR Presidential was absolutely a dream rig.