Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #13108
Hello from Bull Shoals Lake Arkansas

We just retired on June 22nd of this year. We moved from St Louis area to our lake place on Bull Shoals Lake. It is very quiet and beautiful here. Our plan is to buy a Class A Motor Home and head south for the winter. Then return to Arkansas in the spring before heading to Alaska for a few months.

We have owned a Class A and a 5th wheel previously and definitely prefer the motorhome travel over the pull behind. We are ready buy, but I have not found a coach that I feel is decent.

We went and looked at the Thor Challenger YT and KT models. The Challenger YT was a 2018 left over. I asked the salesman to extend the awning and it would not work, so we was going to extend the slide which would not work either. In fact the slide became crooked and would not move either way. The salesman assured us that they could quickly resolve the issue in the service department. So we continued to look at this YT model. I noticed that the rear window smoked exterior glass was broken, I just barely touched the window and the entire thing feel to the ground. I could not believe it, how did it make it down the road. Then we noticed a water stain of the bed comforter, so something had to be leaking. I did not have any confidence in this coach, so we moved to look at the 2019 Challenger KT Model. Everything was working fine slides worked, awnings worked, my wife liked the floor plan all is good. Then I found a water leak where water had damaged the bottom two feet of the cabinet woodwork, the wood was swelled and rippled from the water. The vinyl flooring was buckling from the water damage also. The salesman said they may have to send this coach back to Thor to repair the flooring and replace the cabinet.

We really like the Thor Challenger models, but are they all this way. Will they hold up to a trip to Alaska?
Any feedback from Challenger owners would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

I think I'd find another dealer.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're so glad that you found us: welcome aboard!

...And I agree with Jamie...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Unfortunately most new RV's have some glitches you will need to work out in the first year. Sometimes major for vast majority seem to me minor (many threads on this subject)

But the problem your describing would make me look at a different RV dealer first. I love my Thor product but it took me a while to find and fix stuff (Mostly myself (and minor) - got tired of waiting on Camping World to fix).

Since your retired now have you thought about going out to Elkhart IN area (were most RV's are built - various brands) and then you have have the factory service fix the glitches the very first week? Should have a large inventory to pick from and the miles will be lower (since they dont have to drive all the ways to AR etc).

Thats what I plan on doing when we are in the market for a new RV (or new used). Just an idea. Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Agree with above...find another dealer. Hard to believe they are so disconnected to their inventory. Alaska will be brutal on any coach. Recent reports of road conditions are horrible. Overall, I feel Thor makes a pretty good product. Like all, you will need to get it home and go through every connection in detail and tune her up out front. We love our Chateau and have had zero major issues. I would do the same thing again, as most here would. Happy Shopping!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6651
We have a 2017 Challenger LX. We had several issues during our warranty period (slide motor, electric steps, awning), but everything was resolved satisfactorily. No leaks, so far. I do wish the build quality was better, but overall I’m happy with our Challenger. We’ve put about 13,000 miles on in in the 18 months that we have owned it.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:37 AM   #7

THOR #13108
I want a Thor Challenger

Thanks for all of the replies.
The dealer with the Thor Challengers with issues was not in Arkansas, but in Texas and is MHS. We took a trip down there due to the large inventory they have to look at and we had not decided which model to purchase.
We went there with all intent to buy a motorhome, but I could not bring myself to purchase with such large issues. I did look tonight and the Thor Challenger 37KT with the major leak is still listed in inventory. The salesman told me that the unit would need to be sent back to Thor for repair because the floor and complete cabinet would need to be replaced.
Did they tell me this, so I would move on and sell this unit to someone else who maybe would not find the leak until after they purchased?

I must say the sales force was very nice and I loved the no pressure sales. I would have still purchased the unit if they told me it could be fixed by their service department.
I really like the Thor Challenger models, maybe we should go to Indiana to look at the dealers closer to the factory.

Does anyone here own the Thor Challenger 37FH, I have not been in that unit. They did not have any at MHS at the time. It has the largest slides and most space of the Challengers. I would appreciate any incite.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Don't buy anything with a promise from a dealer or sales-goober that they will fix things later. You are qualifying yourself for them that you can be taken. If you can't live without that particular coach, sign a Buyer's Order...no major down payment... with the condition you will close the deal when it gets back from Thor...if they are truly planning on sending it back. There's way too much inventory around the country to accept a problem up front. That's serious water damage and you're judging it on what you can actually see. I promise you there's a ton more damage you can't see. They will have to fix that before they can sell it so it makes me wonder why they haven't already.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
I'm sure you are aware of this but the Thor Miramar is basically the same as the Challenger. There may be the same floor plan available at MHS. Just another option. We love the Miramar/Challenger floor plans and think we may move up to one in a couple of years. For now, the Vegas/Axis is perfect and we are enjoying our Vegas. Don't give up on Thor. We are very pleased with them even if it isn't always residential quality. Issues are usually nothing a can of WD-40 and a Craftsman wrench won't fix.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:35 AM   #10

THOR #15008
Picking up our 37fh Thursday we love the floor plan. Actually we are neighbors I live in harrison ar. Bought in springfield mo. Like these people a lot.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:21 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Welcome and hello from Maumelle. Stop and say hi on the way to he Big D next time
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:32 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Hello from S. Texas! Welcome to our group! We have an old house on 8 acres in Popla Bluff, MO with a RV port and full hookups
Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Don't buy anything with a promise from a dealer or sales-goober that they will fix things later. You are qualifying yourself for them that you can be taken. If you can't live without that particular coach, sign a Buyer's Order...no major down payment... with the condition you will close the deal when it gets back from Thor...if they are truly planning on sending it back. There's way too much inventory around the country to accept a problem up front. That's serious water damage and you're judging it on what you can actually see. I promise you there's a ton more damage you can't see. They will have to fix that before they can sell it so it makes me wonder why they haven't already.
Good advice here!

I have read too many horror stories about once they have your money.
Next thing you know, you have to pester them, all while they await warranty expiration date.

As far as MHS goes, no opinion on them, I have read equally pro and con about them, I look at their inventory via internet often.

Oh yes, welcome to these forums!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Good advice here!

I have read too many horror stories about once they have your money.
Next thing you know, you have to pester them, all while they await warranty expiration date.

As far as MHS goes, no opinion on them, I have read equally pro and con about them, I look at their inventory via internet often.

Oh yes, welcome to these forums!
I spoke with a guy at MHS working on our recent trade. I really prefer using a local dealer for any issues that might arise. But I also don't want to pay $10k locally. Fortunately, the Camping World in North Little Rock are good people to deal with. So working out my trade I finally just said, "sell it to me at the MSH price and I won't have to drive to Dallas."

We had already come to an agreement on my trade value so purchase price was the issue. They agreed to the price match. Signing papers Saturday. I'd be glad to connect you with my guy here in central AR. The service department is really good as well.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote