Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

State: Colorado
THOR #18953
Hello from CO

Good morning,

My wife and I are very close to pulling the trigger on a new 2019 Thor Aria 3901. We are struggling with the decision to purchase extended warranties. Everything is offered from mechanical, tires, interior, windshield, etc. The dealer is Camping World. I would like to get your thoughts on the topic. Thank you

Old 05-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our virtual RV Park.
For an investment of this expensive and magnitude: I'd always go with the best warranty you can get.

But then again: I sell insurance; so I always tend to see all of the things that can go wrong!

Happy Shopping, and Good Luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
IMHO don't buy now, your RV is warrantied for a couple years +/- by Thor, most of the appliances/equipment are covered by their manufacturers, the chassis is covered by it's manufacturer for xx years or xx number of miles.
Once all the manufacturer warranties have expired you can still purchase an extended warranty at any time at usually a better price. CW makes a very healthy commission by pushing those warranties at the time of purchase.
Plus if/when you decide to purchase an extended warranty read the policy VERY closely, usually the list of covered items is very short compared to the non covered items. With those warranties you usually must have to register an annual inspection done by a qualified company otherwise you're not covered.
Put that $$ they want for the warranty in an account to be used for those possible problems, to pay for the warranty at a later date or to spend on something you want when it's not needed.
If you're the least bit handy making repairs around the house then you can typically repair most of the lack of quality control items better/faster than your dealership & your RV won't be sitting on their lot for months waiting it's turn in line.
Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Do a search on warranties, that topic has been much discussed. A few have had good benefit from them. Most of us won't purchase ext warranty again. Deductibles, repair folks that won't take them, exclusions, all limit your coverage.

These plans make big money for the RV dealers, that's why some push them so hard. I've heard commissions run in the range of 50%, they couldn't do that and make a profit if those contracts paid very often.

While you are doing your research, check out the dealer company you are planning to buy from. Plenty of discussion about Cramping Wurld here, too.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:02 AM   #5

State: Kansas
THOR #18734
Good advice mentioned already. Nothing to add except welcome aboard.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:07 AM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #18953
Thank you all for the input. Very helpful.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #7

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
I purchased a warranty on my rv never have used it money I should’ve saved. Oh well live and learn lol