Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2022, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31Y
State: Maryland
THOR #27181
Hello. Four Winds 30Y?

We are Chuck and Deb from Maryland. We are very seriously thinking about purchasing a 2018 Thor Four Winds 31Y tomorrow. Any comments, warnings, accolades?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:02 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I like the floor plan. Nice big shower considering some others. Not a fan of kitchen / plumbing in the slide... inspect thoroughly! Generally the Triton V-10 engines are pretty bulletproof... they're legacy that's tried and true for many years.

As with any coach, a meticulous inspection is mandatory. Know what you're looking at... if you've owned a motorhome before you know the pitfalls of a coach which hasn't been carefully maintained.

If not, hire a qualified RV inspector to do this. What might look like a good deal could turn into a nightmare. EVERY system must be checked... plumbing, electrical, mechanical... water leaks are the cause of many RVs early death. The roof and all seams need inspected for potential leaks.

Sounds daunting, but going in blind buying an RV can be a miserable experience down the road. However, if you use due diligence... it can be a rewarding experience!!
Old 06-21-2022, 02:03 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You didn't give much time or information for your new forum friends. RVs are like shoes, different types for different folks and different uses.

Is this your first RV? How many travelers are you planning on? Are you having this coach checked out by an independent mechanic? Are you some level of handy? How old are the tires? If original, you'll need to add replacements to your budget before too long.

Have driven it? Have you rented a similar RV? So many questions! Good luck to you!
Old 06-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I'm not familiar with that model, but welcome to the forum. Whatever you buy just make sure EVERYTHING works.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You're one day away from a purchase but...there's weeks of research necessary to assure this unit is in your best interest. This is your first post on this forum. Have you been reading through this forum for a while?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:22 AM   #6

THOR #27181
Actually we have been checking for several months. Hubby just wanted me to post the questions. We’re going to check out the RV on Friday and take her for a test drive. I like the idea of taking an RV mechanic, can we do that at a dealer? We fell in love with the 28z and this one is very similar but has some extra features we like. We have had a TT for 3 years but we think the c class will be a better choice when we start cross country. It’s just the two of us most of the time but we have 2 grandsons that go with us local.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:38 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRVing View Post
Actually we have been checking for several months. Hubby just wanted me to post the questions. We’re going to check out the RV on Friday and take her for a test drive. I like the idea of taking an RV mechanic, can we do that at a dealer? We fell in love with the 28z and this one is very similar but has some extra features we like. We have had a TT for 3 years but we think the c class will be a better choice when we start cross country. It’s just the two of us most of the time but we have 2 grandsons that go with us local.
You can try a local tech and have them meet you there.
Congratulations
As others have said check EVERYTHING EVEN IF 3 HOURS
Old 06-22-2022, 02:13 AM   #8

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
We have a 2020 31y. Bought used with 1,000 miles on it. 2.5 years later, 20,000 miles.
Currently in the Keys about to call it a night.
Drives okay for a truck, wife drives it fine. Like you, had a TT for a few years. We wanted to go further, faster. This does that. Less prep, set up time, and take down time. Drive it at 70-75mph on highway.. Fits in any campsite rated at 28 feet. On rough road, rough ride. Gray and black tanks not the largest. Space on passenger side of bed a compromise. Everything else surpasses expectations. More storage in and out than any Class C. Love automatic leveling, tankless water heater, full body paint. 10mpg when driving nice. Take a lot of time on the walk through, play with everything.
And most importantly, use it a lot.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:17 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Congratulations. Even shopping is fun. In addition to checking everything look VERY closely for evidence of water intrusion. Check the interior sidewalls for small hard “pimples” and look around the base of the slides. Go up on the roof on your hands and knees and look for failed sealing around the edges and all protrusions. Look for service records. Don’t worry if manuals are missing. Generally they are not very helpful and are easily accessible online anyway. Check the manufacture dates on the tires. If they are original they may be 5 years old and many folks think 5-6 years is about max for RV tires even if the tread is still good. It might be a negotiating point, at least. Since you’ve owned other RVs you probably know most of the pitfalls. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Welcome. Yes to all the above. You didn’t say how many miles are on the engine and drivetrain. Nor what year it is. So in addition to checking all the above “house” issues, I would also suggest you pull both dip sticks. Make sure transmission fluid looks nicely red and doesn’t smell burnt. If engine oil is black you may want to ask them to change the oil & filter. Does it look like the grease fittings on the steering spindles have been greased? Look behind each wheel for greasy areas (bad seals). I’d also ask the to pull a front and a rear wheel to visually inspect the brakes. Look closely at the taillights. Any water in them? Camp in it on their lot before signing papers.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #11

THOR #27181
2018 Chateau 31Y

Thank you all for so much information. I’m going to try and find someone in the RV world to go with us to look at the RV, It has 6,114 miles on it and it’s a 2018. I writing all your suggestions down and I’ll have hubby read through the thread this evening so he can add to my notes or ask more questions. I can’t tell you how much we appreciate all of your advice, suggestions, good luck, and welcome!!

Deb
Old 06-22-2022, 07:27 PM   #12

THOR #27181
One more question I know hubby, Chuck will want to ask is, is it easy to hook up solar panel on this model? It says Solar ready but the add doesn’t list the RV as coming with them.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:32 AM   #13

THOR #27181
Update. We took the camper out for a test drive today. We have an inspection scheduled for Tuesday with someone we picked (Licensed & insured, highly recommended). As long as everything checks out, we’re buying the 31Y. Looked great, drove nice, we found a couple of minor things but we’ll let the professional do his thing.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:56 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Update. We took the camper out for a test drive today. We have an inspection scheduled for Tuesday with someone we picked (Licensed & insured, highly recommended). As long as everything checks out, we’re buying the 31Y. Looked great, drove nice, we found a couple of minor things but we’ll let the professional do his thing.

Exciting. Hope it goes well. Let us know!!
Old 06-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #17909
I have a 2020 Chateau 31W for sale if interested

Quote:
We are Chuck and Deb from Maryland. We are very seriously thinking about purchasing a 2018 Thor Four Winds 31Y tomorrow. Any comments, warnings, accolades?
Not sure about the 31Y floor plan, but my 31W has all options and less than 5000 miles. Contact me thru this forum to discuss if interested. FYI Four Winds and Thor Chateau are made almost same. Four Winds used to be Jayco.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
Not sure about the 31Y floor plan, but my 31W has all options and less than 5000 miles. Contact me thru this forum to discuss if interested. FYI Four Winds and Thor Chateau are made almost same. Four Winds used to be Jayco.
Use the Thor Classifieds and not the Forum.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:08 PM   #17

THOR #17909
Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Use the Thor Classifieds and not the Forum.
Sorry
Old 06-27-2022, 02:36 AM   #18

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Hope all goes well, good job getting it inspected
Old 06-29-2022, 04:32 AM   #19

Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
Have a2016 31w dont know if you have a full slide but had a ton of problems with slide cover and flooring in the hallway sagging looks like a plywood joint right down the middle
Old 06-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #20

THOR #17909
Level it to runoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills1334 View Post
Have a2016 31w dont know if you have a full slide but had a ton of problems with slide cover and flooring in the hallway sagging looks like a plywood joint right down the middle
Must make sure the leveling allows the rain to run off the slide cover. Also your plumbing inside/under the slide might have leaked. Bad plumbing in that area. Had to redo mine, before it leaked, but now it’s great.