Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Hello from Jacksonville, FL

Hey there everyone,

Larry in Jacksonville, Florida here. Just picked up a fabulous 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E. Found it on RVTrader outside of Tulsa, OK. Flew up and drove it back in an epic roadtrip. New to RV'ing but excited about the possibilities.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #4816
fairfieldwizard, congratulations on the new RV. This forum is the friendliest and most welcoming around. You can also pick up loads of information on Thor RVs. And, hey, your're a neighbor--I'm just south of Jax.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

THOR #11425
Carol, thanks a lot. I've already been nosing around and asking questions.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Congrats and welcome.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Congrats and welcome.
Welcome to the forum. I to have the same year and model. Over the past few years I have gone over many of the systems and have learned allot both on my own and here. If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. If this is your first RV experience, you will have some questions for sure.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldwizard View Post
Hey there everyone,

Larry in Jacksonville, Florida here. Just picked up a fabulous 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E. Found it on RVTrader outside of Tulsa, OK. Flew up and drove it back in an epic roadtrip. New to RV'ing but excited about the possibilities.
Welcome to the forum. I to have the same year and model. Over the past few years I have gone over many of the systems and have learned allot both on my own and here. If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. If this is your first RV experience, you will have some questions for sure.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #7

THOR #11425
Same coach

Hey! Thanks for your note. Is yours a 2014 also? We are somewhat new to RV'ing since we rented them previously to make sure it was something we might use. But we have the general idea. But/so thanks for your offer. I accept.

As I learn more, I'm just fascinated. First of all, I've rented Bounders previously. Would have liked to have bought one but they were out of our price range. I've learned that you do indeed get what you pay for. The Hurricane is gorgeous to be sure. But I've already noticed the differences- The Bounder had more storage space below and more niceties- the ceiling exhaust fans had wall switches to raise and lower them and turn them on. my wife will not be able to reach these. Bounder had power-operated shades on the windshield and side windows- curtains on the Hurricane. I could go on. But we got a really good deal on it, it's like new in all regards. We're excited.

I drove this from Oklahoma back to Florida last week. Learned a lot but it worked pretty much as it should. I did notice that I couldn't get the jacks to auto level. They did lower and jockey the coach body up and down but then I got an error code on the panel. Even with the error code, the first time it did level as verified by a dashboard spirit level the previous owner installed but the second and third times, it was only close and one jack didn't descend. Also two of the corner lights on the panel are blinking red. Ever seen this?

This weekend I'm replacing that sad excuse for a radio with something better. I also want to replace all the incandescent lights with LED and a central vac is probably in our future.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with yours. What are some things you've learned?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Hi Larry!
congratulations on pulling the trigger!
Have you found anything else needing attention; before you hit the road?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

Model: Mandalay
THOR #11268
Welcome newbie.. I am just north of you in Callahan. I hope to meet you one day.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #10

THOR #5840
Quote:
Hey! Thanks for your note. Is yours a 2014 also? We are somewhat new to RV'ing since we rented them previously to make sure it was something we might use. But we have the general idea. But/so thanks for your offer. I accept.

As I learn more, I'm just fascinated. First of all, I've rented Bounders previously. Would have liked to have bought one but they were out of our price range. I've learned that you do indeed get what you pay for. The Hurricane is gorgeous to be sure. But I've already noticed the differences- The Bounder had more storage space below and more niceties- the ceiling exhaust fans had wall switches to raise and lower them and turn them on. my wife will not be able to reach these. Bounder had power-operated shades on the windshield and side windows- curtains on the Hurricane. I could go on. But we got a really good deal on it, it's like new in all regards. We're excited.

I drove this from Oklahoma back to Florida last week. Learned a lot but it worked pretty much as it should. I did notice that I couldn't get the jacks to auto level. They did lower and jockey the coach body up and down but then I got an error code on the panel. Even with the error code, the first time it did level as verified by a dashboard spirit level the previous owner installed but the second and third times, it was only close and one jack didn't descend. Also two of the corner lights on the panel are blinking red. Ever seen this?

This weekend I'm replacing that sad excuse for a radio with something better. I also want to replace all the incandescent lights with LED and a central vac is probably in our future.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with yours. What are some things you've learned?
Hi there fairfieldwizard, Yes, I have the same year and model which I also bought gently used. I have looked at the Bounder too, with the bunks for the grandchildren. However, at the time we were shopping this one came up at a good price. Our curtains were toast when we bought it. The white backing was severely sun damages. We wound up buying quality material and made our own, which should last for years. Hopefully, you spent a good amount of time at the dealer going over all of the systems before driving it off the lot. Everyone here on the forum recommends having your MH front end aligned. It will help with handling. If it does not have one already, a steering stabilizer will help with handling and drift as well as semi blow by at highway speeds. I installed a Safe-T-Plus model on mine which helped allot. You might want to get the unit weighed fully loaded, so you can adjust tire pressure accordingly. Members here also recommend the CHF (cheap handling fix) that stiffens up the suspension a bit and helps with roll side to side. There are many post regarding this too. I would also go up on the roof and inspect for cracks along seems (front and rear cap) as well as sealant around fans, antenna etc. Reseal if necessary. Check the fluid in your leveling jacks reservoir. If low, bring it up to snuff which may help with the jacks not deploying or leveling properly. Also, I have re-calibrated the leveling system. Use a 2-3' level in the center of the MH and manually level the couch front to back and side to side. Once you have done that, re-calibrate the system at the panel, assuming you are handy and want to manage some of your systems yourself. There is a video at "
Old 05-18-2018, 01:16 AM   #11

THOR #5840
Quote:

Here is the rest of my post:
There is a video at "
Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Welcome aboard.

I was in JAX the weekend BEFORE I picked up my rig. Was visiting any 'old RVN buddy. Had a nice time even if the girl at McD screwed up the breakfast order. Sure wish I'd had the Vegas for the trip but the tricked out GMC van served its purpose on its final trip.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote