Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
New Vegas Owner

Just bought a new Vegas. Downsizing from a Monaco diesel- love the size of the Vegas, and most things about it, but don't like the quality- many things to fix. Now working on engine noise......

Insulated the small plastic " dog house " with FatMat, and planning on sealing the front edge of the dash panel with 3M acoustic foam. Any tips from you who have tried other fixes ?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Love ours as well. So far I've only added additional insulation to the doghouse. I did notice that when I had the doghouse off there was room for additional insulation above the engine forward of the doghouse.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #3

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Please post pic's if you seal the dash. I've been trying to figure out how to do that neatly enough the keep DW happy. Tried expanding foam in the corners, but that just created a mess I have to clean up.

Randy
Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 AM   #4

THOR #1812
Thanks for the response , guys. I will post pictures of the dog house , and will follow up as I seal the front of the dash. Not sure exactly what I will do-I an a little concerned about the expanding foam also-it may expand in places I do not want it ! On the left side I can see light coming down from the top-it is really open . May stuff with acoustic foam and seal with FatMat.....
Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1327
I too, will add the FatMat to the engine doghouse. As far as the dash, Thor customer service tells me its a warranty issue and can have it completed by one of their local dealers. That tells me that Thor is very much aware of either a "design flaw" or just poor construction.

When the work is done, I will share with others what material and/or procedure was used to quiet the awful wind noise on the Axis/Vegas.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #6

THOR #1812
Just drove the Vegas with the FatMat-makes a good reduction, but now the noise from the front of the dash top is even more noticeable. Went under the hood to start stuffing that area, and where I had a half inch gap on the drivers side - it is now tight against the body. Did it shift, or does the dash move around that much 😨😨 . Now I need to rethink the fix.....

Anyone have any experience in removing the dash top pad - to get at that joint from the top ..? And do let us know what the warranty fix is I'd you go that way.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
When I removed the dog house and added more insulation, I also put some insulation in the engine compartment against the firewall and under the table. While I was in the engine compartment, working in the area under the table, I noticed that the frame that holds up the windshield is hollow and open at the bottom. If it is open at the top (can't believe they would have closed it) that allows the engine noise and heat to flow up this big tube to the ceiling area. I built two plugs out of scraps of insulation and closed off the two holes. Will see if it makes any difference or not.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 AM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
When I removed the dog house and added more insulation, I also put some insulation in the engine compartment against the firewall and under the table. While I was in the engine compartment, working in the area under the table, I noticed that the frame that holds up the windshield is hollow and open at the bottom. If it is open at the top (can't believe they would have closed it) that allows the engine noise and heat to flow up this big tube to the ceiling area. I built two plugs out of scraps of insulation and closed off the two holes. Will see if it makes any difference or not.
After reading your post, I went out and stuffed some insulation in Both of those hollow tubes and sealed the bottom of the whole area with the same insulation I used for the dog house and it made a tremendous difference in the noise. My wife could not believe how much difference it made. Thank you for pointing out this area of intrusion.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

THOR #1812
Cool- we will try the same. On the drivers side of mine, the dash pad is pulled way back from the pillar - only thing between you and the outside is a sheet of rubber ( sound deadening under dash pad ? ) -you can stick your finger thru there.....
Old 04-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Great! I have not road tested mine yet, but maybe I'll add some more insulation around there. Leave for Akaska (4 month road trip) in a week, so we will have plenty of time to test it out.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
I just made a 530 mile trip and I can confirm that the difference was remarkable. I cannot believe Thor missed this simple fix during the development of this coach.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #12

THOR #1812
Stuffed the pillar with foam, as well as adding FatFat in the area. Also stuffed the front seam with foam and spanned the gap with FatMat. Made quite a difference! Still would like quieter, but I can live with it at this level.....😄
Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #13

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #1466
You can use foam backer rod to stuff in the crevices around the dashboard. It is durable and very cheap at the home centers. There are several thicknesses.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #14

THOR #1327
Stan, have you actually measured the sound before and after the insulation work? I tested mine today and it's currently at 90-92 decibels, which is way too loud! I mention this because some folks are saying" oh, well that's how a gas motored Class A sounds".

Ralph
Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #15

THOR #1812
I have not, Ralph. How did you measure yours? I understand there is an ap
Old 04-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #16

THOR #1765
Is your 90 dbs stationary or at 60 mph???? What conditions?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:20 AM   #17

THOR #1327
I used an iPhone app that measures decibels and it read 90-92 going 65 mph. I wanted to make sure it just wasn't me and not subjective. As it turns out when a sound gets close to 100 for a period of time, it sometimes can cause hearing loss.

All I want is to drive down the highway and be able to hold a conversation and/or talk a cellphone call, which I can do neither now. And I believe I have the same "outside air" coming inside causing the noise as others, starting at around 45 mph. Also, I feel cold air draft at my feet with full heat on in 30-40 degree weather.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #18

THOR #1812
What is the name of the app -I will get it and measure. Interested to see how I compare
Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #19

THOR #1327
There are several free ones in the Apple Store, mine is just called "decibels". It will do a live recording which you can stop and start as you want under different conditions. It will also record the "maximum", which mine said "94", driving uphill and in third gear but unloaded.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:57 AM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #1547
We had ours out again today on expressway and side roads. Talked as we normally would ( no raised voices) and had no difficulty conversing. Also talked on the cell phone from the passenger seat. Guess we are lucky, but our Axis is quieter than our previous A!!