Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #12725
Brand Spanking New

My hubby and I have decided to jump in with both feet and are on the verge of closing the deal on a 2019 Thor Hurricane 35M. We are so excited about the prospect of being on the road but we are total newbies and I am sure we are going to have a huge learning curve....part of the adventure right?
Happy to be part of this group. Welcome any suggestions/ tips etc.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

First things first: Find a good predelivery inspection (PDI) checklist and follow it when picking up the new unit; don't sign any papers or hand over a check until after the PDI is complete.

During the PDI make sure every last little thing is exercised: water (both city and internal), generator, slides, stereo's, oven, stove, etc.

Once you've taken it home have an alignment done. Find a local truck/commercial tire place to perform the procedure (you can try Ford dealer's but ones that can handle RVs are few and far between). You may be able to negotiate that the dealer pay for this..maybe.

If you find things during the PDI that require parts to be ordered do not leave the coach at the dealer while parts are being ordered--insist on bringing it home and returning it when parts are available. This will prevent the dealer from holding your coach hostage.

After all that the main thing is: have fun with the new rig
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

After you get all the inspections and maintenance that Jamie referred to, which by the way is EXCELLENT advice for a new owner, GO HAVE FUN!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Welcome from Tennessee! Would that be Yorkshire, UK?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a wealth of experience and knowledge here.

Before you sign on the line, consider buying a similar low mileage coach that is a year or two old. If you do some reading on this forum, you'll soon learn that many of the build quality issues are resolved during that first year warranty period. Remember that the salesperson wants desperately to sell you something, anything, to get their commission.

The first year depreciation is brutal, and can be especially expensive if you discover that the coach you bought doesn't fit your needs or wants. Whatever you decide, please share it with the group here. We've all been where you are!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Make sure you get EVERYTHING in writing before you sign on the dotted line.

If brand new rig try and get 30 to 40% off of sticker price. I managed around 35% off + full tank fuel + 4O inch smart TV (Free) + 5 year extended warrantee for like $1900 extra (Looking back I really didnt need it since I do everything myself but it gave me piece of mind). They will start out around 5 or $6000 on a warrentee like this. If they dont come down big time just get aftermarket for around $2000 or so or skip it all together ($2000 will pay for a lot of repair work).

DONT pay them until your done with walk though AND AFTER they fix everything (so that might be a few days or a week). I wish I would have done that myself but luckly I had nothing major.

Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 AM   #7

THOR #12725
Appreciated

Thank you ... all great advice. About 40% off of sticker price, warranty is included, solar panel with no extra charge. Will absolutely be sure to hold payment until walk through. They do have a campsite across from their dealership that we will stay at the first night of ownership to make sure there are no major problems... all on their dime. Definitely getting a full tank.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Sounds like you have it figured out. Let us know how it goes.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Lots of good advice given so far. Enjoy!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

THOR #12725
Thank you, exactly why we joined.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Pull up a chair at our campfire, and cut yourself a marshmallow stick!
Congratulations on this new great adventure: I hope that you all enjoy lots of "Miles & Smiles"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Since my wife and I are both relative newbies, it has really been life changing. Where we would sit around and the most important daily topics of discussion would be which programs to record on the the DVR to one of weekly anticipation as to which state park we would visit. Also, yes the adventure of learning, but one of learning how to "live" the RV. What I mean by that is the making of the RV from a home to a house. How we can make ourselves more comfortable.

What I did was make a list of all 54 state parks in Florida where the state park has power and water for the RV. Then I sorted them by distance from our domicile, starting with the closest and working our way out to the furthermost. Before we leave, I investigate as to just why there is a state park at this particular location. We are now more active, learning more about our state, learning more about the RV, and having different and fun experiences at each state park. As an added benefit, the prices at the state parks are very reasonable when compared to RV parks.

I am glad you are doing it sooner rather than later. I have run into a number of elderly couples who didn't pull the trigger and now can't due to health and/or other reasons. I can't remember running into any couple that did pull the trigger and now wish they hadn't.

This forum is one of the best I have ever run into. The responses are quick, intelligent, humorous, and sometimes very helpful.

Perhaps the number one tip I have picked up is that the people on this forum are generally much more knowledgeable intelligent then the salesperson and the answers will be much more forthcoming. E.g. they are not afraid to let you know if you are making a mistake, and both the pro's and con's will definitely emerge on marginal issues.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post

This forum is one of the best I have ever run into. The responses are quick, intelligent, humorous, and sometimes very helpful.

Perhaps the number one tip I have picked up is that the people on this forum are generally much more knowledgeable intelligent then the salesperson and the answers will be much more forthcoming. E.g. they are not afraid to let you know if you are making a mistake, and both the pro's and con's will definitely emerge on marginal issues.

"sometimes very helpful"...we try
Old 08-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Most RV sales people are in the process of looking for a career and find the disillusion of this on the hot asphalt of a "camper sales lot" with a promise to make lots of money. They've never owned an RV, know very little about them and sadly, don't care to learn. Ask them a question and the first thing they do is pick up a brochure and start looking for the answer. Most of what they know is limited to reading the two page brochure. The exceptions are the larger, higher end dealers which can be found in Florida, Texas, etc. Then...what you run into are the ones that have become the well-heeled snakes and know well how to cover up, lie and misrepresent the products. There are, I'm sure, a small exception...I am still looking for that one. Do your homework, educate yourself and know exactly what you will and will not tolerate before you ever go in. Get everything they promise you in writing and DO NOT write the check or sign the papers until you have it all. It's amazing how fast their attitudes follow the money...if it's in your pocket...they look at you...if it's in their pocket...they turn their back on you. It's very sad but it's true. I wish the manufacturers would start selling direct.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
"sometimes very helpful"...we try
I have trouble getting "helpful", and "friendly"; into the same post.

So I always err on the side of "friendly!"
Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #16

THOR #12725
Haha .. friendly is always the best policy. Perusing the posts it does look like there are a lot of helpful posts. I am honestly terrified of the decision we have made to purchase this home on wheels ... so worried about the learning curve and all the things that can go wrong.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
It will be as wonderful an experience as having your first kid. Knowing little going in but the living and learning process will soon prove you a master at it. As long as you have people like on this forum behind you and other experienced campers around you at campgrounds, you will always find a quick and precise answer to most all situations. Just put the clothespin on your nose and dive in!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #18

THOR #12725
Thank you for that... we have taken a huge step taking on one of the big boys a class A motor coach. We love sports and really looking forward to visiting stadiums across the country ... now hurry up retirement
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshrlass View Post
Thank you for that... we have taken a huge step taking on one of the big boys a class A motor coach. We love sports and really looking forward to visiting stadiums across the country ... now hurry up retirement
Very cool: Any particular sport, or just all? (We've been doing baseball stadiums; we're up to 27 of 30--will get the last 3 next year and we're not even retired yet)

Really don't think of it as a huge step because of the size of the coach: You would be dealing with many of the same things with a 24ft Class C. Just take it one step at a time, breathe, and have a lot of fun.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshrlass View Post
Haha .. friendly is always the best policy. Perusing the posts it does look like there are a lot of helpful posts. I am honestly terrified of the decision we have made to purchase this home on wheels ... so worried about the learning curve and all the things that can go wrong.
Don't let the "What if" stuff ruin the excitement!
Learn what you can, and ask questions: everybody in here will do their dead-level best to help!

And soon: you'll be the one giving out advice!