Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6057
Thumbs up Hello, My name is Gary. From Anacortes, WA.

My wife Pat and I just bought a 2003 Chateau Sport 21 foot. We are brand new to the world of RV's so I wanted to start with this question.
What Apple phone apps, books, AAA or other towing services, etc. are your favorites?... being so new to forums so I am asking asking for any type of help to improve my steep learning curve.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Congratulations Gary and welcome to the world of RV’s. I have a Garmin LMT760 GPS, but I also use Waze when I am concerned about traffic or to double check Garmin’s maps. I have AAA’s RV service but I have never had to use it for the RV. A couple years back they changed a tire on my wife’s car and the guy broke a lug nut. AAA never did take care of it.Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Gary, Welcome! I also use the Garmin RV 760 that I use for a GPS. I've swapped out the radio for one that supports Apple Carplay. Good Luck and don't forget to wave when you see me on the road.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I use the iExit app when going down the road to get the skinny on services available at the upcoming exits.
https://iexitapp.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Apps

I have a Samsung Edge, so my apps are for Android, but they should be available in Apple version also.

iExit - describes services available at each exit

Interstate Rest Areas - just what it says

TV Food Maps - identifies restaurants that have been on any of the TV food shows

Google Maps, Google Earth, and Google Street View - for help in finding those hard to locate locations

Waze - for GPS services

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Passport America and Good Sam Camping

My Pilot - for fuel discounts at Pilot and Flying J

Gas Buddy - to check fuel prices

TrailLink - for bicycling information

Yelp - for restaurant reviews

Weather Channel and NOAA weather apps

Utilities such as a flashlight app, an alarm clock, etc

CardStar - to digitally record all my various shopping cards rather than have a dozen little tabs on my keychain

CVS - to get my prescriptions filled no matter where I am

Pandora and Spotify - to bluetooth music to my radio while traveling

Old Time Radio Player, Audible, and CNN - for when we want some type audio other than music

Hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Hi Gary and welcome.

I bought a Rand McNally RV GPS at Camping World. You can plan your trips on your computer and then download them to the GPS...a lot easier than doing it all on the GPS. You can also put in the width of you rig, length including toad and height. This will keep you off narrow roads and low bridges.

The unit can also spot rest areas and Flying J truck stops. I have found it very useful.

I also use ALLSTAYS Walmart for overnight parking...an app on my phone. It is great for locating the Walmarts in your current area (GPS enabled) with user comments and phone numbers.

I have the Good Sam Road Side Service. Never had to use it but I travel with less stress.

Hope you enjoy your travels as much as I have.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Even though I use a GPS I always carry a Road Atlas, doesn't use batteries and never breaks.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Even though I use a GPS I always carry a Road Atlas, doesn't use batteries and never breaks.
Yup indeed, I still use the "Truckers" version to keep an eye on truck routes and low overpasses.... old habits hard to break
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

THOR #4488
I like having a good atlas or map, too. But you can't beat a good GPS for guiding you through congested areas. Especially since my wife refuses to sit up front in traffic.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #2123
Welcome from Winlock, WA!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:38 AM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I agree with the Rand McNally GPS and wow!! Locknut gave you a great summary. As you start out and aren't really sure where you are going - use the heck out of Google Maps - Street Level. Saved us from heading down Calif 1 - into Fort Bragg. NOT good. Also have used Google Maps - Street Level to check out gas stops. Sometime you can get into them - BUT cannot get out without unhooking toad. Not good.

After all the prep and planning step back and remember "The Journey Is The Destination".
Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Miramar, your wife must be related to my wife, she won't sit up front in heavy traffic either! I don't know why they complain, they're not driving!!! Lol
Old 12-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #13

THOR #6057
Thanks for so many options to get me down the highway safer. Great forum.... Gary
Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #14

THOR #4488
Yep...I suggested she take a little anti-anxiety pill and she didn't respond well to the thought. It took awhile for her to adapt to the bigger feel from the huge window in the Miramar. Now if she gets a little "concerned" she just gets up and moves to the theater seats and grabs a magazine. Hills and traffic cause the same reaction...oh, well...at least we get to travel.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaal View Post
What ... AAA or other towing services, etc. are your favorites?...
I was a 30+ year member of AAA until we got the latest RV in 2014... Even with AAA RV Plus the limits on towing might not be adequate depending on where we had an issue... Was also tired of paying by driver...

The latest RV came with a free year of Coachnet - the renewal about the same price as a single driver for AAA - and covers me, my wife, and my college age daughter away from home... in any vehicle.
The RV towing coverage is for the necessary equipment - extra man if needed - and any distance to reach a repair facility that can handle the issue.

Fortunately haven't had to test it out yet - but seemed more comprehensive for my current needs.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 AM   #16

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Roadside assistance/Towing

As far as roadside assistance and towing, I think a recent experience would be helpful. Our old RV (an Itasca Reyo) was a Sprinter based RV. We started having engine problems on our last trip out to Utah. At first, it would stall only when the engine was cold. By the end of the trip it was stalling almost any time you'd come to a stop.

Once we made it out there and got settled in, we took it to the nearest place that could diagnose the issue. That was 90 miles away. (Did I mention that our place in Utah is in the middle of nowhere?) They discovered that the pressure regulator was probably the issue, but didn't have the specialized equipment to be sure. So, after talking to a lot of people, it was decided that the closest place that could fix it was a Mercedes dealership--250 miles away.

We had Good Sam roadside assistance--so we called them. They basically kept wanting to taking somewhere closer than the Mercedes dealership. First they wanted to take it to some mechanic who worked out of his house. Then they wanted to tow it to Dodge dealership (because Dodge sold Sprinter vans years ago). We called each of the place they wanted it towed to and they all said they couldn't fix it. This covered multiple days and way to many phone calls.

We were fed up and called our State Farm agent (who we have the insurance on the RV). They said that they would cover any distance and amount based on if the RV was undriveable--which it wasn't at that point.
We had it towed to the Mercedes dealership. It was almost $1400. State Farm reimbursed us about a week later.

So, keep your insurance company in mind when thinking about roadside assistance. You might already be paying for it!
Old 12-18-2016, 03:07 AM   #17

Model: 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #5680
duck

I have owned a camping trailer and this Thor Vegas is my second motor home. When I started out, I read every post in the general rv forums to learn about all the rv equipment and maintenance. I suggest you read all the categories in this forum that apply to you. You have systems in an rv of water, sewage, electricity, ac, etc. You need to be familiar with all of them. Tires--don't go anywhere unless you have new or only a few years on the tires. Old tires dry rot and will blow out. You will enjoy the rv that is well maintained and ready for any trip.