Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1952
Newbies from Ocala, FL

Hello ALL,

My wife and I just bought a 2014 Thor Windsport 32A. This is our first RV. We will use it to learn RVing for the next 8 years then buy a new, larger one for our retirement. We have no clue about this thing. Bought the book "The Idiot's Guide To RVing" in hopes of making some sense out of all these "do-dads"!
Have a great and safe day!

Jim and KC

Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #2

THOR #1249
Congrats on your new coach. Hope you have many happy and safe miles in it. Since you are new to RVing, you may want to go to a local campground or state park and get acquainted with your unit. Don't be hesitant to ask questions as most campers are willing to give you a hand and advice.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #3

THOR #1857
Welcome to RV Life! We are in Ocala too. We started last summer with a 25' Chateau. Put 10,000 miles on it and just traded up to a 30' Thor A.C.E. The hardest part for me was working out a system for dumping the black water. Our new ACE came with a macerator and it is the best thing that ever happened to an RV!! Hope you have one too. Let me know if you have any questions.

C3craig@live.com
Old 05-25-2015, 01:42 AM   #4

THOR #1952
macerator?

Thanks for the greetings. I have no idea what a macerator is. I guess I will have to check all the books that came with my RV.
Stay in touch.

Jim & KC
Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #5

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #1382
Welcome!

Hello Ocala,
We're newbies from a bit south west of you in Citrus County... Just got a 2015 ACE 29.2 in December. Learning the rope with ever increasing long weekend trips... This is the perfect forum to learn more... Happy travels!

Bob n Abby
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
Welcome, we just purchased a Four Winds 28Z for our travel vehicle. This weekend we are taking our shakedown trip.. We have had a travel trailer before, so not totally new to us. Lots to learn about MH traveling. Great trip so far.
Hope you have tons of fun and enjoy the heck out of your new coach.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiaim2001 View Post
Thanks for the greetings. I have no idea what a macerator is. I guess I will have to check all the books that came with my RV.
Stay in touch.

Jim & KC
A macerator is just a waste grinder. I have one I use when I don't have a nearby dump that I can reach with my sewer hose. Mine snaps onto the end of the sewer connection, has a place to attach your hose to help dilute the waste as it is ground up. It also needs power to run the blades. With the macerator you can pump the waste through a 3/4 inch hose better than 50'.

My ace did not come with one and I have the 29.3. Not sure which one did but I have seen several people make mention of it.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Stay in touch.

Jim & KC
My Challenger came with a macerator but it is not to drain the black water tank. My macerator handles the gray water from the outside kitchen and pumps that water uphill a distance and then into the gray water tank.

I looked at Thor's literature for the 2016 models and didn't see any mention of macerators on any of the models.

They are nice for pumping waster uphill if needed, however, they do get clogged around the impeller blades and do require maintenance. Hopefully if you have a macerator it has an installed gray water bypass so you can keep your gray water valve opened while connected at a campground.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

THOR #1857
Our macerator is permanently installed in our ACE 29.2 coach. Its a CleanDump system. RV Macerator Pump & RV Waste Disposal Accessories It takes only 3 minutes to dump both tanks. No connections or spills or rubber gloves. Put the hose in the hole, open the valve on the end of the hose, pull the blackwater valve, turn on the pump, when empty pull the grey water valve, when empty turn off the pump, close tank valves, close hose valve, and coil the hose back in its storeage bin. You just have to be sure not to run the pump without water in it or the rubber impeller will melt from the heat of dry friction.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
My Challenger came with a macerator but it is not to drain the black water tank. My macerator handles the gray water from the outside kitchen and pumps that water uphill a distance and then into the gray water tank.

I looked at Thor's literature for the 2016 models and didn't see any mention of macerators on any of the models.

They are nice for pumping waster uphill if needed, however, they do get clogged around the impeller blades and do require maintenance. Hopefully if you have a macerator it has an installed gray water bypass so you can keep your gray water valve opened while connected at a campground.
Mine has that pump, I wasn't thinking of that as the typical Macerator you hear talked about
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob n Abby View Post
Hello Ocala,
We're newbies from a bit south west of you in Citrus County... Just got a 2015 ACE 29.2 in December. Learning the rope with ever increasing long weekend trips... This is the perfect forum to learn more... Happy travels!

Bob n Abby
Greetings to you too, Bob n Abby of Citrus County. Is your sewer outlet on the passenger side like ours? Our Macerator hose runs under the kitchen floor to the other side for dumping at campsites.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #1382
Hello,
Actually, all of our 'utilities' are on the driver side on the 2015 29.2... Thor eliminated the macerator in our model last year.
We have gravity only for our black and gray tanks, but haven't had any issues with theM.

Bob n Abby
Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #13

THOR #1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob n Abby View Post
Hello Ocala,

Bob n Abby
Hello Bob n Abbey. We just got a 2014 ACE 29.2 and love it. Keep in touch and share your notes as you go.

C3craig@live.com
Old 05-26-2015, 02:59 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Talking

Quote:
Hello ALL,

My wife and I just bought a 2014 Thor Windsport 32A. This is our first RV. We will use it to learn RVing for the next 8 years then buy a new, larger one for our retirement. We have no clue about this thing. Bought the book "The Idiot's Guide To RVing" in hopes of making some sense out of all these "do-dads"!
Have a great and safe day!

Jim and KC

Hello and welcome...we are new also with our Hurricane. Same idea as you.....keep this one a handful of years, and move up when we are sure we are truly enjoying the lifestyle. So far....so good
Old 06-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Welcome! Ocala huh? I grew up in Crystal River. What a great area. Enjoy your new unit!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #16

Model: Class C / Chateau 31L
State: Iowa
THOR #1763
Hi Jim and KC,
We just traded in our 2008 Four Winds 31p for a 2014 31L Chateau. We spend some winter time in Florida every year and we always stay in Ocala Sun campground on our way down to Sanibel Island. It's a nice campground. Great place to stay and play around with your new unit.