Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Question Hello - New 27k Hurricane - Our first RV

Hello,
Purchased our very first RV a few days ago, now I am attempting to prepare for our first trip. After reading several postings, I think that I have discovered several items that may save me from trouble.
I am still trying to understand the water system for the hot water tank. I was told that there is a by-pass around the hot water tank, but I cannot find the by-pass valves. If anyone knows, I would appreciate a hint!
I would appreciate any advice too

Paul & Tatyana

Old 03-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

THOR #1759
You can locate the hot water by-pass valves in a 27k Hurricane by doing the following;
1. Remove the bottom drawer located in the center storage area (driver's side)
2. Using a Phillips screwdriver, remover the access panel located within and under
the drawer cavity.
The by-pass valves become accessible once the access panel is removed. . The valves are open when the valve handle aligns (aligns in parallel) with the water line. It is closed when it is perpendicular to the water line
Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEHetzer View Post
Hello,
Purchased our very first RV a few days ago, now I am attempting to prepare for our first trip. After reading several postings, I think that I have discovered several items that may save me from trouble.
I am still trying to understand the water system for the hot water tank. I was told that there is a by-pass around the hot water tank, but I cannot find the by-pass valves. If anyone knows, I would appreciate a hint!
I would appreciate any advice too

Paul & Tatyana
Greetings! Came across your post this morning and decided to reply to ask how you are doing with your 27K so far?

We are new to the forum, and new to the RV lifestyle. We will be picking up our brand new 27K this week and are exited, yet feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the negative info regarding Thor.

Would sure like to know how your experience with your coach has been to date!

Thanks!

Eileen in AZ
Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

THOR #1759
We encountered some dificulties with our 27k, however we are still very happy with its purchase. We have taken our first trip from Arkansas to Georgia and back again and found the experience to be enjoyable. However, you must expect that your new RV (assuming that is similiar to ours) will need some changes to make the ownership enjoyable.
When I recieved our RV, it was winterized. I had the task of preparing it for our first trip. The hot water was a real challenge because none of the vehicles documentation could explain exactly what must be done to de-winterize the water system. All explainations were generic and other then explaining what must be done, the explainations did little towards explaining how it should be done.
The hot water tank has valves that shunts water past it when winterized. The valves can be found by completely removing the clothes cabinet bottom drawer (foot of the bed) and removing the exposed wooden cover located inside and on the bottom of the drawer cabinet cavity. The valve handles should align with their piping when they are open or be at 90 degrees to their piping when are closed. The valves connected to the pipes that come from the cold water resovior and leave the tank to the sinks should be open while the valve that ties the incomming plumbing to the outfeed plumbing should be closed. This will put your hot water tank into service.
There is a storage drawer located in the first step of the entryway that I used to store some tools. I discovered that when I went artound a corner, the drawer would slide open and bang into the RV's door. I solved this problem by installing an eyebolt on either side of the drawer and then securing the drawer by using a bungi-cord to hold the drawer closed. I brought enough tools to tighten or fix small things that I may discover during ourn trip. I also took a package of spare fuses and a spare flash light.
I purchased bug screens to prevent the entrainment of insects into the areas behind the appliances. In Arkansas, we struggle with "Mud-Daubers" which can become quite a problem. They will pack mud into holes in unbelievable amounts and plug things up so badly that appliances will fail. This was a precautionary thing.

When we took our first trip, we discovered that the galley storage, which slides open to reveal storage shelves, would open and slam into the cabinet door next to the bathroom. This occured whenever the coach swayed badly while crossing driveway entrances/exits that were not exactly level with the street. Tightening the RV's sway bar has helped this problem. Now we tie a wrapped towel around the doors knob so that if it should open again, it will not slam into the opposing cabinet door.
I had to add magnetic latches to the cabine doors located over the eating area because they would open and spill their contents onto the floor. I bought the latches at the local hardware store and installed them myself.

When we puruchased our RV, it was difficult to drive because it wanted to meander all over the place. Driving was a real white-nuckled experience until I discovered the following;

1. The RV was sold to me with the steering alignment of the RV slightly our of adjustment. The "toe-in" was adjusted, which helped stablize the steering. As I discovered, the RV sales location did not (and could not) check the alignment. It requires a truck garage to do the work. It cost me approx $125 to get this done. In my opinioon this is a wortyh while endeavor.
2. When I purchased the RV, I assumed that they would have varified that the tires were inflated to a pressure recommend by Thor. If you look at the tag located inside and directly adjacent to the driver, you will discover a tag that exactly specifies the correct tire pressure. While I was in the middle of my first trip, I decided to stop at a tire shop and have my tire pressure checked. It was discovered that every tire had a different pressure that was higher then the recommended pressure. After insuring that all my tires were inflated exactly to Thor's recommendations, the RV's steering stablized so much, that it actually became fun to drive. Tire inflation seemed to make the most difference with stablizing the steering. I discovered that a 5 PSI pressure difference changes the stearing stablization and as a result, I purchased a 120v air compressor, hose and tire inflation valve so that I can check tire pressure anytime that I desired durring our trips.
3. Even after having the alignment checked and the tires inflated properly, the RV would still tend to steer down ruts and get pushed around by the wind of passing trucks. To help with this problem, I installed a steering control stablizer (Safe-T-Plus) and had the RV's sway bar tightened up. Now I can drive the RV using one hand and I am looking forward to our next trip to Washington state.

There were a few small thing that I was able to take care of with some small tools. One item in particular that I should mention is to have someone insure that the windshield wiper arm nuts are properly tightened. Ours came loose during our trip during a rainstorm in heavy trafic while driving through the center of Memphis, Tenn. which was the kind of excitement that I did not need.
Other then what I have shared, we have had not problems and we are looking forward to using the RV to visit our grandchildren. We are also looking at a cross- country trip to see the Grand Canyon and Mount Rusahmore. I think that the only change that I want to make now is to have the driver's seat tilted back a little more to make myself more comfortable.
In any case, should you like to visit more then please contact us.
Paul and Tatyana Hetzer
Old 05-18-2015, 03:22 AM   #5

THOR #2005
Hello Paul & Tatyana,

WOW!! Thank you for the incredibly detailed review of your experiences so far!

Our dealer states they are doing a complete 180 point pre-delivery inspection, but after looking around the internet, I'm concerned that an inspection such as that might not "catch" all the things that possibly need attention and/or repairs.

I'm trying to stay positive here, as this is a HUGE step, both money- and lifestyle-wise for us. As I mentioned, we are excited...but then those moments of excitement soon lead to moments of sheer terror that we are going to have to be "nickel & dime-ing" our way down the road.

We do appreciate the specific information about the alignment and tire pressure issues....very important to know this! We will address this with the person(s) who will be doing the walk-through with us....if nothing else but ASKING about these issues.

And the information about the cabinet doors, the sway control, water valves, etc. are of immense help so we can know how to deal with these on our coach.

We are only about 90 minutes away from the dealer, so hopefully any things that need to be addressed after we take possession can be handled locally.

We hope you continue to enjoy your Hurricane, and that your problems are few or non-existent!

That's great that you're going to do a road trip! We are planning one ourselves in mid Sept, and are going to Mt. Rushmore as well! But right now all our reservations are at hotels and lodges - made these plans months ago before we decided to take the RV plunge. We're still undecided if we will take the Hurricane on this trip - we need to be comfortable with it first!

And you will LOVE the Grand Canyon - have been there several times (once in a campground with our tiny 16' trailer back in the '80s and other times in hotels). The Grand Canyon is simply stunning!

By the way, we live in southeastern Arizona, near Tucson. We are about 6 hours south of GC, but if you decide to come that far south, and depending on when you visit, be sure to contact us! I'll PM you with our phone number.

Thank you again for all the very helpful information!

Eileen
Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Mt. Rushmore KOA is an excellent campground to stay at (especially if you have any kids--still a good campground without the youngins). Its only a few miles down from the monument (and I think it even has a bus service that takes you there).

We've stayed there a couple of times, the last time was a few years ago, however. Looks like its still a decent campground given the reviews on rvparkreviews:
Mount Rushmore KOA - Hill City, SD - RV Park Reviews
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEHetzer View Post
2. When I purchased the RV, I assumed that they would have varified that the tires were inflated to a pressure recommend by Thor. ....
I resemble that remark!

I took possession of my shiny new Hurricane 34E in Melbourne, FL, and didn't realize that the tires were drastically underinflated until I reached Tallahasse, FL on our way home to CA.

My first impression was that the handling was significantly much worse than I remember during the test drive at the RV show just a month earlier!

Being that it was my third gasser, (1st Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 2nd Winnebago Vista), and an "entry level" model at that, I just figured it was the F53 chassis for this size/weight configuration.

Lo and behold that when I went to refuel in Tallahasse, there happened to be a really accessible air hose at the station. I pulled up to the air hose and checked my tire pressure for the first time! Let's just say that each tire was at least 30psi underinflated.

The rest of the way home was a joy!! The 35 footer handled like a sports car* the rest of the way home.

*Note: I do not legally endorse deflating your motorhome tires and driving at highway speeds. to "try this at home". However, you will experience profound appreciation for the fine engineering and design of the F53 chassis by Ford and Thor's utilization of it, once you have driven hundreds of miles with severely deflated tires.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The Mt. Rushmore KOA is an excellent campground to stay at (especially if you have any kids--still a good campground without the youngins). Its only a few miles down from the monument (and I think it even has a bus service that takes you there).

We've stayed there a couple of times, the last time was a few years ago, however. Looks like its still a decent campground given the reviews on rvparkreviews:
Mount Rushmore KOA - Hill City, SD - RV Park Reviews
Hello JamieGeek,

Thanks for the info on the Mt. Rushmore KOA! We are still deciding if we are going to make this trip with the new RV. I think it would be fun. But we're still feeling boggled just from buying the coach.

I appreciate the info. My next big project will be to go town by town on our planned itinerary to see whether there are RV parks close to the places we want to visit. If I can get everything lined up okay, we may just cancel to hotels and reserve campsites!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #9

THOR #1759
comments about Grand Canyon

Hello JamieGeek
Thanks for your comments about the Grand Canyon. I shared your comments with my wife and now we are really looking forward to a trip.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You're welcome, but I think it was neelic that made the comments about the Grand Canyon.

I do agree with those comments though: We stayed a night at the GC a couple of years ago (at the Thunderbird Lodge) and it is worth it. Had dinner at the El Tovar by a window overlooking the GC...it was great (the wife called it a bucket list moment).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
The mishandling can be cured with a few modifications. Cheapest as in no cost is changing the sway bar link positions under the coach which will stiffen the sway you encounter a lot on going in and out of parking lots off camber and also wind pushing. A steering stabilizer will help some of the front end wander and a Rear Track Bar will prevent most of the wander and pushing from semi's and a lot of mini vans with the long slopped windshields. The Stabilizer and track bar can set you back a grand unless you husband is handy with tools the rear track bar can be built for around $50 saving you about $600
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, maintenance