Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: California
THOR #7559
Hello! New ACE 27.1 owners :)

Hello from the Bay Area, CA! We are two 30 something'ers who just bought a 2014 Thor ACE 27.1.

We have a 1 year old ball of energy (aka our daughter) and a 14 year old pup, MJ.

We have had a lifelong love for road tripping. T's family traveled back and forth from CA to TX every year and has been all over the country (navy brat ). K's dad had a 31' Tioga when she was growing up and they took 6 week trips around the country every summer.

And now, we want to share our love for road trips with our daughter (as our 14 year old pup has been our road warrior for the last 12 years and is a seasoned vet!)

We have our maiden voyage set in Aug to drive from CA to IA to my parents' lake house in Okoboji with our 2 kiddos in tow. We've made this trek numerous times before (sans 1 year old!) in our trusty Subaru Outback. The trip is about 27 hours (~1800ish miles) one way and we normally drive straight thru without stopping at any hotels or rest stops (K has first leg for 13 hrs and T has second leg at 14 hrs). It's going to be an interesting trip and are curious to see how long it will take with a 1 year old in tow. K's brother and his family of 5 may join us, but we won't know until we figure out the nephew's allergy med situation (he's allergic to MJ )

We plan on doing a couple of smaller weekend trips before our big trip in August. T found a campground up in Bodega Bay that is right on the water. Can't wait!

Right now, we are busy furnishing the RV with "extras" things we have laying around the house.

Can't wait to interact with everyone

Old 05-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #698
We have the same rig and got it 3/14. Have about 16000 fun miles on it. Had some problems with the jacks this year but other than that it runs pretty good. Check the slide control unit in the bay next to the batteries. Thor mounted the unit with the wire/open end facing up and did a poor job of sealing where the wires come into the bay. Some how a few ounces of water got into it and shorted it out. Just go turn it with the wires facing down and you will solve a possible problem
Have safe travels
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #5584
We've had our 2015 for almost 2 years now, but only have a little less than 7000 miles on it. As of today, though, I'm on my 19th day of early retirement, and we're taking off on June 1 for a 30+ day trip from Florida to southern Utah and Yellowstone. Longer trip that everything before it combined!

You'll love the little 27.1. Same engine and chassis as it's bigger brothers, which makes it livelier to drive and presumably better gas mileage And it's got the king sized bed.

We find it a perfect size for the two of us. Seems to shrink a bit when we add the two spoiled rotten cats.

Have a wonderful time in it!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

THOR #7520
Smile Welcome!

I too have a 2014 27.1 and traveled all over the country by myself and the dog. My suggestion is that even though you have a bathroom, it's not always a good idea to drive straight thru with a camper. You may not realize that driving a camper is more tiring than a suv. Especially if it's windy or raining. Take short breaks at a rest areas or when you get gas. There is an app that tells you where gas stations with RV lanes. Normal gas stations are a pain in the rear end to maneuver in. Are you towing a vehicle? Even harder. Take your time and enjoy the trip! Good luck and safe travels!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #5

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
We have the same rig and got it 3/14. Have about 16000 fun miles on it. Had some problems with the jacks this year but other than that it runs pretty good. Check the slide control unit in the bay next to the batteries. Thor mounted the unit with the wire/open end facing up and did a poor job of sealing where the wires come into the bay. Some how a few ounces of water got into it and shorted it out. Just go turn it with the wires facing down and you will solve a possible problem
Have safe travels
Thank you! That's awesome! It's nice to see fellow 27.1 owners we went back and forth between the Axis and the Ace and finally bit the bullet and got the Ace. Thanks for the tip! I'll def have the husband check the wiring. With our inspection the inspector found the jacks stuck too so we will need to do some maintenance on it soon.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #6

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
We've had our 2015 for almost 2 years now, but only have a little less than 7000 miles on it. As of today, though, I'm on my 19th day of early retirement, and we're taking off on June 1 for a 30+ day trip from Florida to southern Utah and Yellowstone. Longer trip that everything before it combined!

You'll love the little 27.1. Same engine and chassis as it's bigger brothers, which makes it livelier to drive and presumably better gas mileage And it's got the king sized bed.

We find it a perfect size for the two of us. Seems to shrink a bit when we add the two spoiled rotten cats.

Have a wonderful time in it!
Congrats on the early retirement! You definitely have a fun trip planned!

Oh we love it already it really is the perfect size for our little family! And who will complain about a king sized bed?! we were really surprised that the gas mileage is as good as it is. We can wait to take it out for some overnight stays

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #7

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamama61 View Post
I too have a 2014 27.1 and traveled all over the country by myself and the dog. My suggestion is that even though you have a bathroom, it's not always a good idea to drive straight thru with a camper. You may not realize that driving a camper is more tiring than a suv. Especially if it's windy or raining. Take short breaks at a rest areas or when you get gas. There is an app that tells you where gas stations with RV lanes. Normal gas stations are a pain in the rear end to maneuver in. Are you towing a vehicle? Even harder. Take your time and enjoy the trip! Good luck and safe travels!
Thanks Seamama! Nice to meet another fellow 27.1 owner! We wont be driving straight thru, I'm sure my kid won't have any of that we took 2 weeks off so we could take our time. Hubby filled up last week at a loca gas station and he ended up making a U turn in it. He was so surprised by the turning radius of the Ace! We are hoping we won't have to tow a vehicle, but it all depends on if my dad can get his car shipped out there. Hopefully we won't hit any rain storms in Nebraska but we'll see! thanks again!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Newbie 27.1 Owner As Well

We too looked at the Axis (24.1) was great except for the shower. Too much to compromise on there. We came across this 2016 ACE 27.1 with only 2300 miles on it. Got a great deal on it and picked it up last month. We've had it out twice already for weekend trips and are tickled with it. I think the previous owners had it just long enough to have the fit & finish issues resolved and upgrade the suspension to make it easier to drive. We're in north Florida and we'll be taking a 5 day trip through Georgia and east Alabama across Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:58 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats and welcome x2.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #11

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
We too looked at the Axis (24.1) was great except for the shower. Too much to compromise on there. We came across this 2016 ACE 27.1 with only 2300 miles on it. Got a great deal on it and picked it up last month. We've had it out twice already for weekend trips and are tickled with it. I think the previous owners had it just long enough to have the fit & finish issues resolved and upgrade the suspension to make it easier to drive. We're in north Florida and we'll be taking a 5 day trip through Georgia and east Alabama across Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait.
That's great! It took my husband almost a year and a half to finally pull the trigger on the Ace. We found ours in TX and they shipped it here for us. We called Thor beforehand and they only had $1300 worth of warranty work done so the Thor guy said it was a good unit. It's been an interesting 2 weeks trying to figure out how everything works!

Have fun in GA and AL! That sounds like a fun trip!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #12

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!!
Thanks SuperD!!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #13

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congrats and welcome x2.
Thanks Jamie!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7349
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonyCA View Post
Hello from the Bay Area, CA! We are two 30 something'ers who just bought a 2014 Thor ACE 27.1.

We have a 1 year old ball of energy (aka our daughter) and a 14 year old pup, MJ.

We have had a lifelong love for road tripping. T's family traveled back and forth from CA to TX every year and has been all over the country (navy brat ). K's dad had a 31' Tioga when she was growing up and they took 6 week trips around the country every summer.

And now, we want to share our love for road trips with our daughter (as our 14 year old pup has been our road warrior for the last 12 years and is a seasoned vet!)

We have our maiden voyage set in Aug to drive from CA to IA to my parents' lake house in Okoboji with our 2 kiddos in tow. We've made this trek numerous times before (sans 1 year old!) in our trusty Subaru Outback. The trip is about 27 hours (~1800ish miles) one way and we normally drive straight thru without stopping at any hotels or rest stops (K has first leg for 13 hrs and T has second leg at 14 hrs). It's going to be an interesting trip and are curious to see how long it will take with a 1 year old in tow. K's brother and his family of 5 may join us, but we won't know until we figure out the nephew's allergy med situation (he's allergic to MJ )

We plan on doing a couple of smaller weekend trips before our big trip in August. T found a campground up in Bodega Bay that is right on the water. Can't wait!

Right now, we are busy furnishing the RV with "extras" things we have laying around the house.

Can't wait to interact with everyone

====
Welcome and I'm interested in whatever you come up with for repurposing things from your house or any organization tips.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #15

THOR #7349
Thumbs up

My suggestion is that even though you have a bathroom, it's not always a good idea to drive straight thru with a camper. You may not realize that driving a camper is more tiring than a suv. Especially if it's windy or raining. Take short breaks at a rest areas or when you get gas. There is an app that tells you where gas stations with RV lanes. Normal gas stations are a pain in the rear end to maneuver in. Are you towing a vehicle? Even harder. Take your time and enjoy the trip! Good luck and safe travels!
[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for this tip. Do you post about solo RVing? I find those fascinating.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #16

THOR #7349
Oh, the adventures that await. Your daughter will have a wide view of the world as she grows up.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #17

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
Oh, the adventures that await. Your daughter will have a wide view of the world as she grows up.
Yes! And we can't wait to show her!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 AM   #18

THOR #7559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
====
Welcome and I'm interested in whatever you come up with for repurposing things from your house or any organization tips.
Thanks! So far the best organizing tips I have used are the dollar tree handled baskets! I use 2 in the fridge (the handles stick out into the door space tho,) and 2 in the freezer. They are really easy to slide out.

Also I used a bunch of those half tall fabric cubes all over to wrangle things. I got them from the dollar store and Walmart in packs of 2.