Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2019, 02:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #16564
Smile Hello - new / used Vegas 24.1 owner

I just purchased a used 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1. I am very excited. I have had 2 trailers prior. Looking forward to just driving away without hitching anything. It will be nice to have a generator too. I had a eurovan camper for about a year many years ago that got this whole camping thing started. Looking forward to learning how to boondock at a walmart. Any advice is welcome.

I had a question :
My front fiberglass cap is faded a bit. Any ideas how to bring this back to looking newer?

Old 09-16-2019, 04:58 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Cap

Try McGuires' gelcoat oxidation remover with a good quality orbital buffer. Follow with some good quality wax, again using the buffer. I pretty much guarantee that the shine will not last if you can get it back. We ended up getting ours painted.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
mikek,

Welcome to the group.
We have the same year and model, got our 2016 Vegas in May 2015...dates look weird but it's the way they bring the new ones on line early. Several threads in this forum on that.
Recommend you download from this forum Ed's Manual for the Vegas/Axis; it has more answers to questions you have not run into yet! He did an outstanding job on it.
I agree with Earl...wax and elbow grease will bring the shine back - for a while. After giving the RV a good wash from top (on the roof) down I use some stuff my brother-in-law uses on his boats called KWICK SHINE by Aurora. The bottle says no pre-wash is needed but I have found it works much better if you do pre-wash.
Welcome to the Forum.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

The aforementioned Axis/Vegas manual can be found here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Keeping the top of the cab shiny is pretty much a lost cause. You can do the above treatments but they are only temporary. The only permanent fix is painting it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum. It's nice not having to hook up and un hook all the time.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Welcome Hoosier! Safe travels.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
..."Looking forward to learning how to boondock at a walmart"...

Park away from busy traffic flows...pull in, keep stealthy, no slides, no awning, no chairs, no dogs tied to trees...just take a quick nap and move on. Best to let someone inside know you're intentions. Often, if you just ask to "rest" for a few hours and move on, they won't have issues. It's not camping and the privilege is going away fast as a result of so many goobers setting up camp. Read recently that one "Walmart camper" left 3 bags of trash leaning against a lightpost in the parking lot.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome!
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 AM   #9

State: Indiana
THOR #16564
That is a great resource! Thank you Ed!! Thanks for recommending it JamieGeek
Old 09-17-2019, 02:54 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-22-2019, 12:59 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ontario
THOR #8849
Welcome to this forum

We just returned from a 7,500 mile trip across Canada to Vancouver Island. We came back I 90 to Watertown. We are in Kingston Ontario.
This trip shook the daylites out of our coach. 51 days on the road.
Many little things will need attention.
We had furnace quit, electric hot water wire melt, water combining in from front cap seam, I backed or tried to back up my son's too steep lane way and broke the generator exhaust bracket, and lots of loose screws.
I was or rather have learned to repair all of the problems so far.

Don't get discouraged if little things need attention, you are after all driving your house down the rough shaky road.

There are many many really good contributions on this's forum. Jamie and Ed are very responsive and knowledgeable.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION I have found a good starting point many times.

Rick 2016 24.1 AXIS now with 15,000 miles!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 AM   #12
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
WELC0ME TO THE FORUM from Kansas !!
soooo...you are not going to haul/pull anything behind your Vegas? How long do ya think that will last ?!! ha !
We have pulled a motorcycle trailer … and now tow a 20 yr old Jeep TJ … just got tired of not having a vehicle once we get to our destination and age pretty much caught up to us when having to put up with rain etc when riding m/c !
HAVE FUN !
and
WE STILL LOVE OUR AXIS !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:49 AM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #12776
Welcome, MikeK from Indiana!

Happy to welcome another 2016 Axis 24.1 owner to the forum. Hope you will be as happy on your adventures with your Axis as we are with ours!
lgabler9851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #11915
We have a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1. On the way home from our 4,444 mile trip this spring we needed to stay overnight in Trinidad, CO. The only thing that came up in my internet search was a place for $48. Since we have a generator (we had never used it on a trip, but had started it up each month in storage and ran it as suggested, so we knew it worked) and we saw on line that the Walmart right off the interstate welcomed overnighters, we pulled in. We parked at the far end of the lot and went in to the store and asked the store manager if we could park overnight. She said it was fine and I had a shopping cart with groceries, etc., that we bought. As the evening progressed more and more RVs, trucks, etc. pulled in. Some semis, but they congregated at the opposite end of the lot from where we were. The only problem was a group of people with two vehicles (older trailer and truck and older RV) with kids who were quite noisy and who had trash all over the place. But for overnight, it was ok. Next morning we were quickly on our way. The police drove through the lot a few times that night and the lot was lit-so we felt pretty safe.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Ahlman View Post
We have a 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1. On the way home from our 4,444 mile trip this spring we needed to stay overnight in Trinidad, CO. .

A couple times we have stayed in a WalMart Parking lot, following protocol.. like you desperate to find a place to stop for the night. We had no problems.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:37 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #12227
We have a 2016 24.1 as well. Love it. We are from BC and are just finishing up 20,500 kilometers … across Canada (all the way) and down the east coast US and storing it in S. Carolina for 3 months and will continue on later. Half our time was boondocking. All good experiences and have stayed on a lot of waterfront in great locations. Walmart sometimes if passing through … just be courteous and ask first. The unit has performed well. I carry a Burgman 200cc scooter on the back. We can do the highway with it if necessary. Great for touring around when you are stationary. Made several of the mods Ed posted. The best thing I did for us was add 160W of solar. Good luck and enjoy.

Tags
vegas 24.1