Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3770
First "long" trip

I've been retired for 2 years and the wife retired in Feb. We just finished fixing up and selling the house. And then we rolled down the Keys to Key West and fixed up and are selling the in-laws condo. With all our belongings in a Pod, our home is on wheels.

So I'm done with household chores for the next 6 months!

On the first trip we noticed some loose and broken screws on the door. Tightened and/ or replaced them. Other then being on the wrong side of the electrical system learning curve, no other problems. Thanks Ed for the tech manual!

The grand kid calls the Vegas the School Bus. The wife wants a paper towel rack above the sink, but I'm leery of drilling holes in the bus. So any guidance would be appreciated.

Paul and Leslie

Old 05-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
We just finished fixing up and selling the house. ... our home is on wheels.
Congrats, we plan to do the same in Aug. Hope to spend a year on the road with 3 months in Baja.

Here's my solution for paper towels:
- removed shade above sink
- attached holder to wood (t-nuts on back)
- screw and double side tape wood to cabinet

Works great so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	papert_2.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1955   Click image for larger version

Name:	papert_1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1956  

Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

THOR #3770
Thanks Cosmo, looks good.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow! Kudos to you both: I can't imagine living full time out of the 24.1. I'd need at least a washer/dryer in the coach somewhere (maybe even a dishwasher LOL).

For the paper towel holder: We just have one that sits on the counter. It doesn't move much if at all--I'm always forgetting to stow it on the road.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
I can't imagine living full time out of the 24.1.
I have heard that from several folks. For that last couple of years we have been camping (1 week max) out of a Honda mini van. Had to fight the dogs for every inch of bed space. So far the 24.1 has been heaven. We also spent 3 weeks in a much smaller RV in New Zealand - seemed to work out OK. But time will tell - we can always Airbnb once in a while.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

THOR #3770
Been in the bus for about a month. First 2 weeks in front of the house while we packed. Two people and a 38lb mutt. It's working out, just got to remember where we put everything. But then we have always been minimalist in our out look.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow! Kudos to you both: I can't imagine living full time out of the 24.1. I'd need at least a washer/dryer in the coach somewhere (maybe even a dishwasher LOL).
That would get kinda "close" me thinks, even the 34H does.... so I just take a lotta "Solo walks"

The small holding tanks would be the biggest concern for us. Currently have
65 gal fresh & 35 gal black & gray..And that is a pain dumping every 3 to 5 days,, altho by myself can go a week to 10 days if doing "Navy showers" ,doing dishes ever other day or longer if using paper plates and so on before needing a dump station
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The small holding tanks would be the biggest concern for us. Currently have
65 gal fresh & 35 gal black & gray..And that is a pain dumping every 3 to 5 days,, altho by myself can go a week to 10 days if doing "Navy showers" ,doing dishes ever other day or longer if using paper plates and so on before needing a dump station
That entirely depends on where you camp. If you're at campgrounds with full hookup locations you only need to dump the black and doing so simply requires walking around the unit and opening the valve.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That entirely depends on where you camp. If you're at campgrounds with full hookup locations you only need to dump the black and doing so simply requires walking around the unit and opening the valve.
Very true... altho I have found that being on a fixed income sometimes there seems to be way too much month at the end of the money resulting in dry camping and using "free" anything we can. And I'm sure it isn't a rare occurrence for many retirees that are full timers.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #1417
Welcome to the forum, Paul_Leslie. We're minimalists, too, and I think we could live in our 24.1 We also met another couple here in Texas who were planning to trade in their large diesel pusher and continue to full time in a 24.1. The motor home is pretty well laid out!

As far as the paper towel holder, we have ours over the sink but to the side, to the left of the sink and parallel to the steps. You can stand on the steps and reach them. That way it doesn't block the window. Hope that makes sense!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Leslie View Post
I've been retired for 2 years and the wife retired in Feb. We just finished fixing up and selling the house. And then we rolled down the Keys to Key West and fixed up and are selling the in-laws condo. With all our belongings in a Pod, our home is on wheels.

So I'm done with household chores for the next 6 months!

On the first trip we noticed some loose and broken screws on the door. Tightened and/ or replaced them. Other then being on the wrong side of the electrical system learning curve, no other problems. Thanks Ed for the tech manual!

The grand kid calls the Vegas the School Bus. The wife wants a paper towel rack above the sink, but I'm leery of drilling holes in the bus. So any guidance would be appreciated.

Paul and Leslie
Hi Paul & Leslie !
I am attaching a photo of the counter in our Axis .. if you look past the sink..you will see our paper towel, vertical holder...the base is large, so I generally, leave it out when on the road. It cannot/does not slide too far .. in addition, I have room to stow it if needed. This particular holder was hand cut...you can find them at Bed Bath & Beyond and Amazon, etc.

Name:	plaemat on sink cover.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1957
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The paper towel holder has always been one of the first additions we do to an RV. Even the used ones didn't have one already.

With most of the little RVs, countertop space was a premium ... plenty of kitchen counter in our Axis though we still opted to tuck one up out of the way where it was still easy use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4306.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1958  
Old 05-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #13

THOR #3770
All good ideas, thanks for the input.