Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27362
Hello From South Central Wisconsin

I am new to the Thor Forum. I have a 2017 Freedom Elite. Radio doesn't work and have been trying to get help. I have read the forum notes and find them really educational, but nobody has told me how to remove the plastic trim in front of the radio as it sits in the dash. I have the tools to get the radio out of the sleeve -- it's that pesky plastic trim I am dealing with. Any help would be great for this newby to the forum.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I'm not familiar with you model. but welcome to the forum
Old 07-25-2022, 10:17 PM   #3

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Welcome to the forum -

I believe the 2017 Freedom Elite is on a Ford e450 chassis correct? If so the chassis is probably a 2016. My suggestion would be to google "2016 e450 radio removal".

That should lead you to a youtube video that will show you how to remove the faceplate for the radio as well as the radio itself. I think there is a special tool for removing the faceplate but I'm pretty sure youtube will have a work around.

Good luck with your radio...
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshaukuta27 View Post
I am new to the Thor Forum. I have a 2017 Freedom Elite. Radio doesn't work and have been trying to get help. I have read the forum notes and find them really educational, but nobody has told me how to remove the plastic trim in front of the radio as it sits in the dash. I have the tools to get the radio out of the sleeve -- it's that pesky plastic trim I am dealing with. Any help would be great for this newby to the forum.
Might want to look at this thread:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ash-11286.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The plastic trim is kind of a pain to get all the way off. For mine I couldn’t get past the steering wheel. But it was far enough that if I gently pulled back on the radio side I could get the radio out.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:07 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
When I replaced the radio in my 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE, I went to Crutchfield’s website and purchased the instructions for radio removal and installation. They cost $10. The instructions are detailed. It was worth the $10 to me because two years later, when a fuse blew on the back of the radio, I had the instructions available. I never would have remembered how to do it without them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_264MAS...ructions.html?
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:38 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
When I replaced the radio in my 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE, I went to Crutchfield’s website and purchased the instructions for radio removal and installation. They cost $10. The instructions are detailed. It was worth the $10 to me because two years later, when a fuse blew on the back of the radio, I had the instructions available. I never would have remembered how to do it without them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_264MAS...ructions.html?
+1, love their master install sheets. Didn't realize you could just buy them, I typically buy the radio from them and they throw in the install sheet... probably costs a few bucks more but...
Old 07-30-2022, 11:37 PM   #8

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27362
Thanks to somebody on this forum I was able to figure out how to get the radio out by purchasing the $10 instructions for my vehicle model E450 (2016) -- the dash really does pop out so there is no need to remove the bezel. It's a simple operation to get the radio out. Replacing the radio with a new one -- well that will be a tougher task to make sure I have all the connections in order. Thanks Thor Forum folks -- you are amazing.