Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 03:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
Brand New in New York

Hello,

We have been tent campers for a long time and have always eye balled an RV. Aside from camping and traveling, we would also use it to pull our race car.

We saw a 2003 A Class on Facebook for sale, cheap. It peaked our interest. Turns out it had a soft floor. We decided to not buy a project.

This past weekend we decided to stop by Camping World and browse to figure out exactly what we were interested in with very little intention to purchase.

We first saw 24 ish foot units and they just seemed a bit small for us on the inside. We decided the A Class just felt too big, mainly because of the windshield and dash.

We saw a 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 30FE E450. It checked all the boxes for us. Couple of hours later, we own it! We are picking it up this Saturday. We have reserved a spot at the local KOA to give it test run for this weekend!

We are VERY excited. The more we think about how we will use it the more and more we realize the freedom that something like this gives us.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #2

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
Old 09-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing. Use the resources here and make sure to do a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) Don’t sign the paperwork or drive it off the lot til the dealer makes any issues found in the PDI right. Don’t make the mistake we made and let the sales rep rush us through the inspection. Our dealer has been good at fixing issues that we found but it would have been easier and less of a hassle ( driving back to dealer) to have had those items fixed prior to driving off the lot.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #6

THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing. Use the resources here and make sure to do a thorough PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) Don’t sign the paperwork or drive it off the lot til the dealer makes any issues found in the PDI right. Don’t make the mistake we made and let the sales rep rush us through the inspection. Our dealer has been good at fixing issues that we found but it would have been easier and less of a hassle ( driving back to dealer) to have had those items fixed prior to driving off the lot.
Thank you. Is there a checklist I should have aside from there list?
Old 09-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
Thank you. Is there a checklist I should have aside from there list?
The simple answer is try everything...
12v, shore power, generator, all plumbing, slides, etc... Make sure you understand how it all operates - and if the person showing you doesn't know - have them get someone that does.
You will get quickest service for any repairs you identify if you haven't given them the money yet.

One of our members - Ed Felker - compiled an excellent manual on the Axis/Vegas line - and while not all applies to your rig, much of the 'how it works' will - and has a sample PDI checklist.
The link to download is here: Thor Forums - View Single Post - Link to Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual

Good luck with your new rig and welcome!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome to the Best Forum around (IMO)!

Do what they said above and dont be afraid to ask question (not only at CW but here on this forum).

Lots of helpful folk here. I have learned so much (and still learning).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
He who holds the check holds the happiness. Do not turn over funds or sign Buyer's Order without every issue repaired...even if it means having to go back a few days later, after things are done. Thousands of RV's roll around this country full of empty promises. Look at it like jumping from an airplane...you can't climb back in and it will not circle around to catch you. If you leave the dealership with unresolved issues....you are on your own...especially if it's CW. If the drive isn't too far away, you might consider going back mid-week and test everything...then re-test everything at delivery.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Good advice

They wont like it but dont give in.

I had to do this for my walk though and I still found about 15 small cosmentic things that took about a year to get all of them resolved at CW.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:08 AM   #11

THOR #16600
Thank you. I will take my time during when we go through things and make sure things are corrected before we sign papers. We are anxious to get out and get camping this weekend but we will resist temptation to cave in.

I know of one item which will need to be corrected.... the sliding door to the rear bedroom does not move, just think it is off the track.

We asked for two things to be added....TV in the rear bedroom and a trailer brake controller. I asked them to include it in the deal but they wanted to do it separately. So today they called me with the price. They told me the controller and the TV installed will be $450something. "OK, do it. What controller are you installing?" "Not sure, I will call you back". Few hours later, "The TV is $450something and the controller will bring the total to $922something." "What happened to $450?" " It didn't include the controller" "OK, no thanks we will install it ourselves".

Where can I find solid information about the warranty? The sales guy was not clear on what they are and I didn't go back to the topic. I read somewhere it is 12m/15k basic, 24m,24K structure, 36m/36k chassis, 60m/60k powertrain.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Thank you. I will take my time during when we go through things and make sure things are corrected before we sign papers. We are anxious to get out and get camping this weekend but we will resist temptation to cave in.

I know of one item which will need to be corrected.... the sliding door to the rear bedroom does not move, just think it is off the track.

We asked for two things to be added....TV in the rear bedroom and a trailer brake controller. I asked them to include it in the deal but they wanted to do it separately. So today they called me with the price. They told me the controller and the TV installed will be $450something. "OK, do it. What controller are you installing?" "Not sure, I will call you back". Few hours later, "The TV is $450something and the controller will bring the total to $922something." "What happened to $450?" " It didn't include the controller" "OK, no thanks we will install it ourselves".

Where can I find solid information about the warranty? The sales guy was not clear on what they are and I didn't go back to the topic. I read somewhere it is 12m/15k basic, 24m,24K structure, 36m/36k chassis, 60m/60k powertrain.

You've a nice "taste" of what to expect. Most brake controller systems (assuming the chassis has a tow package from factory) are plug-n-play. The warranty info can be obtained from Thor and Ford. The sales goobers turn over quickly at these locations and the sheer volume of sales dictates they really don't have to know anything...there's 4+ more people in the "lobby corral" waiting for a sales person to show them around. Remember how you can't get to the RV's without going through the "team" waiting there. Sad, but this is the temperature of CW. The level of your excitement is their green flag as to how much crap they can run on you. Take it for a drive...a long drive other than just around the block. Have them do the walk through with you...THEN...just tell them you want a few minutes by yourself to settle in. This will give you unpressured time to play with everything. Run slides and awning in and out several times, check all plumbing under sinks, etc., for leaks while using pump and connected to city water. Check all systems, including A/C's, while plugged into shore power AND while running on generator. If there's a button or a switch anywhere...wear it out. Check drawer slides, and look behind and underneath EVERYTHING. If issues develop, have your salegoober get the techs right on it and don't accept a common "don't worry...we'll fix that for you later...we promise". If it doesn't get fixed right then...prepare to live with it. Best of luck and let us know details of your experience!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Most factory motor home warranties are for 12 months from date of purchase from the manufacturer. Make sure within that warranty period you try out every system, drawer, door and cabinet to be sure they are all working properly. Remember when you do have to make a service appointment that it is usually several weeks to months out before you can get it into the dealership. They book up months in advance at most dealerships. Good luck and have a great time.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #14952
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new RV! You will not believe how much information you can obtain from other members. They are so helpful and friendly.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

The dealer, if asked, must provide a copy of the warranty and explain the warranty to you. That is federal law under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. You will be asked to sign a form at delivery stating you have read and understand the warranty, taken the vehicle for a test drive and to list any defective items you found during the test drive.

Read the warranty "word for word". When reading the warranty pay particular attention to the section and time limitations on "fit and finish" items. These things such as doors closing, windows sealing, divots in the floor are only covered if they are identified, reported and verified within the first 30 or 90 days after purchase.

I suggest you get the VIN for the unit and go to the Thor Owners Resources web page and register the coach. Then you will have access to all of the documentation for the coach. Start reading and develop a list of questions before arriving at the dealer.

Congrats and you need to become a PITA for CW.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #16

THOR #16600
So we have been on two weekend trips to local campgrounds. We stayed at a KOA and a mom and pop similar to a KOA (this one was actually in my town and didn't know it was there!). Flat pull thru, full hook up, groomed and clean sites, wifi, total of 4 nights.

We are now experienced RV veterans now right?!?!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #17

THOR #16600
I have to say, we have noticed a difference in the atmosphere at the camp grounds with the RV. We had been typically tent campers. We found the tent site of the camp grounds were noisy and the campers kept to themselves, and uninterested in any form of socializing. Now were on the RV side of the camp ground and we notice the campers are far more friendly and quite. Waves, small chat, dog petting, etc seem to be the norm. Love it.

The day we took delivery, we went from the dealer directly to a camp ground. The family next to us watched us pull in and set up. We had all new stuff, still in the boxes. unbox the water filter and start to connected it inline with the hose, they warned me about the charcoal in the filter. I had no idea. They saved our weekend. Has this been the tent side, nobody would have cared to help out.

On our second trip we chatted a bit with the couple next to us. They were not from the area and were sight seeing. We find it weird that people come to our town to sight see. But when they returned, we were eating diner. They came over and apologized for their dog. She thought that the dog had been howling all day while they were out. We didn't realize the dog was even there! No noise. If this was the tent side, they would have left the stereo on also.

We have about 20 items that need to be corrected by Camping World, mostly hinges and things like that. We have to say we are a bit disappointed in their response time and completion of things. For instance, in NY you must two to license plates. When we took delivery on a Saturday, there was only one. We were told the person that controls the plates was not in till Monday and only she can open the safe with the plates. They said they would ship it overnight and I would have it Tuesday. I agreed. I received it finally 8 days after I was supposed to receive it with zero call backs from my calls about where it was. Thor on the other hand have been excellent. I had some wiring and operational questions. They returned my call promptly and gave me all the information I asked. Enjoying Thor so far, Camping World not so much.

Last night I had to go run an errand, took the RV instead of the car, my wife looked at me funny but I just wanted to drive it!

We absolutely love this RV!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860

But I think that you have to stand in the rain, and wonder why the awning isn't retracting: before you're a veteran!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #14952
I have to ask... what do I not know a about charcoal in the filter?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #20

THOR #16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
I have to ask... what do I not know a about charcoal in the filter?
The Camco filters we bought have charcoal in them that must be rinsed out before it does to the RV screens. We ran water through it and it was black for about a second or two.