Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #2169
Hello from Virginia, taking delivery of 2015 Hurricane 32N tomorrow

Hi all!

We are new to motorhome camping, I grew up trailer camping. We are taking delivery of a 2015 Thor Hurricane 32N tomorrow morning and wanted to ask if there is anything in particular we should ask. The dealer has scheduled several hours for us to be trained on all the features of the RV its operation.

We are in SE Virginia and plan several local campsite visits before we get too far away from home.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Best Regards,
Jody

Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacopolumbo View Post
Hi all!

We are new to motorhome camping, I grew up trailer camping. We are taking delivery of a 2015 Thor Hurricane 32N tomorrow morning and wanted to ask if there is anything in particular we should ask. The dealer has scheduled several hours for us to be trained on all the features of the RV its operation.

We are in SE Virginia and plan several local campsite visits before we get too far away from home.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Best Regards,
Jody
Jody,

Have the dealer show you how every system in the coach operates. When they are showing you this have them extend and retract the slides at least 3 times to ensure they do not jam.

Biggest point I can make, do not sign the contract until after the walk thru (PDI) and they fix anything you find wrong. If they say they will fix it verify the fix before signing. Once you sign the contract the coach is yours and you are no longer a priority to the dealer. In Virginia there is no 72 hour cooling off period for motorhomes. When you sign it's yours and if you signed before it was fixed it becomes your problem.

I can't stress this enough, there are numerous discussions where someone went to the PDI and then the vehicle sat on the dealers lot for a month while they were working off a punch list. The entire time the owners warranty was ticking away and they were making payments while they did not have the use of the coach.

Also, open the owners manual to the warranty info and there is a section on manufacturers that provide separate warranties. Have the dealer explain which components in your coach have separate warranties and ask for the warranty registration cards for those components. Let the dealers folks crawl around the coach getting the serial numbers for those cards.

Have the dealer verify that the installed Fire Extinguisher is not under the Kiddie recall. You can go to Kiddie's web site to download a list of affected extinguishers. Ask the dealer if the coach is subject to either of the Carefree awning recalls (there are 2 separate awning recalls). I have posted threads on thee fire extinguisher and awning recalls on the forum.

Ask to speak to the service manager and when you talk to that person ask about the procedures for requesting warranty work and the wait time for an appointment. If their wait time is long make your first appointment before you leave, it can be cancelled if it is not needed. Also ask the service manager if, when an appointment is made, is that an appointment for actual shop time, or an appointment for putting it on the lot awaiting shop time.

I am sure some of the other Hurricane owners can provide suggestions on specific items to check based on their experience. My suggestions are based on my refusal to accept poor customer service and understanding that until I sign the contract I am in control.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

THOR #2169
Dave,

Wow! All great advice. I'm going to make a checklist from it. I really like the part about not signing on the bottom line until after we've been through it.

Thanks Again!

By the way, my wife has kin up your way in Chester. We go up there often.

Cheers,
Jody
Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In our unit (not a Hurricane) Thor included a list of the items installed and their serial numbers--it was taped to the inside of the closet door.

Adding to what Dave said: Make sure you make the dealer actually use the systems they are showing you, not just point and say "here is the water pump". Have them fill the water tank and pressurize the system via the water pump and the outside shore connection. Do this with everything: toilet, generator, slides, bunks, microwave, furnace, A/C, etc. even the windshield wipers (note that several Thor's have had various issues with wipers and washers).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Jody,

With Jamie's mentioning of wipers, another Virginia specific item comes to mind, the state inspection.

Check the date on the state inspection sticker and make them due a June inspection if it is not already done. Also, the date of the inspection sticker is an indicator of how long a unit has been sitting on a dealer's lot.

I have found that having a one month old sticker can be an inconvenience especially during the summer (next year) when you really want to be using the unit but you have to take a day or two to get the coach safety inspected. Also, getting a motorhome safety inspected can be a challenging task. If you rely on the dealer then you are subject together schedule and summer months are always had times to get in for RV service.

I recommend finding a Ford truck dealer in your area that has a large enough bay to handle your coach's height and length and then use them for routine chassis service such as scheduled maintenance, alignments, and safety inspections. The Ford dealers are generally easier to get into appointment wise and generally cheaper with the routine maintenance.

Where are you located in SE Virginia?
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Speaking of: If you have it at a truck dealer for an inspection see if they can do an alignment on it. Most units come off the line misaligned (because Ford aligns the "empty" chassis and Thor never does one after its built the coach on top).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

THOR #2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Jody,

With Jamie's mentioning of wipers, another Virginia specific item comes to mind, the state inspection.

Check the date on the state inspection sticker and make them due a June inspection if it is not already done. Also, the date of the inspection sticker is an indicator of how long a unit has been sitting on a dealer's lot.

I have found that having a one month old sticker can be an inconvenience especially during the summer (next year) when you really want to be using the unit but you have to take a day or two to get the coach safety inspected. Also, getting a motorhome safety inspected can be a challenging task. If you rely on the dealer then you are subject together schedule and summer months are always had times to get in for RV service.

I recommend finding a Ford truck dealer in your area that has a large enough bay to handle your coach's height and length and then use them for routine chassis service such as scheduled maintenance, alignments, and safety inspections. The Ford dealers are generally easier to get into appointment wise and generally cheaper with the routine maintenance.

Where are you located in SE Virginia?
Again, great advice. Thanks. We are in Yorktown. My wife and I are both retired Air Force.

Jody
Yorktown, VA
2015 Hurricane 32N, 2015 Kia Optima, 2016 Master Tow
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Jody,

Thanks to both of you for your service to our nation. There are a few of us retired military folks running around the country in Thor motor coaches.

If you need a recommendation for a nearby place to spend a night or two to go through all of the systems on the coach I recommend the KOA in Williamsburg. Easy facility to get to if, unlike me, you pay attention to the road directional signs, and the facilities are clean.

Again, thanks to both.
FMCA - F432054