Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 AM   #1

Brand: Dutchmen
State: California
THOR #11628
Hello from West Coast

Hi. We currently own a 16 foot Coleman trailer. Very happy with it. Just for fun we looked at a Thor 22 ft Elite and really liked it. We are looking for pros and cons and would appreciate any feedback. Thank you. Marian

Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Thee 22 ft Freedom Elite is a simple and compact motor home. I like them a lot and came very close to buying a new on in 2017 for barely over $50,000 - that’s less than the price of a nice pickup truck! Ended up buying a 26 ft Freedom Elite because it was bigger, nicer and only $2,000 more. If you are confident that you won’t outgrow such a small unit and if you are handy enough to fix a bunch of inevitable small assembly issues I think you’ll like it a lot. Because it’s so small it has lots of carrying and towing capacity.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbogs77 View Post
Hi. We currently own a 16 foot Coleman trailer. Very happy with it. Just for fun we looked at a Thor 22 ft Elite and really liked it. We are looking for pros and cons and would appreciate any feedback. Thank you. Marian
I had a Coleman tent trailer for over 20 years, traded it for a hard sided Hi-Lo in 2007 and then to a Motorhome in 2017. I didn't regret giving up the Coleman but I ill say that there were things I can do and places I could go with the Coleman that I no longer can, but the Motorhome is much more comfortable. I do wish I would have gotten one a few feet larger so I could have recliners to watch TV in. Good luck with what ever you decide.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The FE-22 looks like a really nice little rig!
So Happy Shopping, and Welcome Aboard!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

THOR #11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I had a Coleman tent trailer for over 20 years, traded it for a hard sided Hi-Lo in 2007 and then to a Motorhome in 2017. I didn't regret giving up the Coleman but I ill say that there were things I can do and places I could go with the Coleman that I no longer can, but the Motorhome is much more comfortable. I do wish I would have gotten one a few feet larger so I could have recliners to watch TV in. Good luck with what ever you decide.
I do love our Coleman! I think the Fe22 will be a bit more comfortable and has a lot more bells and whistles. We started with a 13 foot trillium. What a mistake!!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Welcome Mbogx77,

Good luck with the transition to a MH and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #7

THOR #11628
Thor28FE

Regarding the Thor 28FE. We did a walk thru and did some research on line. We were set to take the next step tomorrow and then i read horrible reviews last night about leaks and really shoddy workmanship from the factory. Everyone complains when something is bad. Do any owners have positive reviews of this RV? Thank you for your input. Marian.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Regarding the Thor 28FE. We did a walk thru and did some research on line. We were set to take the next step tomorrow and then i read horrible reviews last night about leaks and really shoddy workmanship from the factory. Everyone complains when something is bad. Do any owners have positive reviews of this RV? Thank you for your input. Marian.
I have been one of the lucky few that have had problems and unfortunately every model can. The biggest problems we had was the service through CW and their failure to actually care about fixing things. That being said we have the 30FE and we love it even with the issues. We got it because of the floor plan. You can spend more and get a fancier rig but in the end we all make our own modifications so wasn’t really needed to spend more.

In the end I would make sure to buy one from a dealer that has good reviews your going to have problems no matter what brand. it’s fixing those that makes a difference
Old 05-28-2018, 03:14 AM   #9

THOR #11628
Thank you for your input. We did decide to buy the 28FE today. Love the floor plan.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
Welcome to the Forums and to your new adventure! What are you pulling the Coleman with? A jump to a nice trailer could be an option. Cheaper too.
As far as motor homes go, Thor has many options: Freedom Elite, Chateau etc. Mostly they are updated versions of similar rigs and floor plans.
Look at as many floor plans as you can. Base the decision on the floor plan, size of the rig and what you feel comfortable with, and budget of course. Renting a rig for a week is a great way to see if this size rig is for you.
You can find deals, and a new rig may, or may not be best. Used rigs may have upgrades and some of the initial kinks worked out. Camping World is not the only option. There are a lot of good dealers in CA, and they may provide better service and preparation than the big names.
Now, as far as I know, the smaller rigs, Class C under 30 feet, are easy to maneuver, park, store and maintain. Our 23U has no slide outs: less moving parts and less chance of leakage. But, it is a bit small for more than 4 adults. If you have a large family, this may be an issue. We are lucky, we can park our rig: The Bettye, on our driveway. No storage fees and can plug in at home.
So, look, research, check the bank account and try a rig as a rental to get a feel for what suits you! See which dealers in your area, provide not just good service, but exceptional care of their customers! Best of luck!
Old 05-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #11

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I bought a F.E. 22fe last Nov. Had a lot of suspension mods done to make it handle better than stock. For 2 people and 2 small dogs, happy with it. Put in extra coach battery and mounted spare on back bumper also. Put rotating seat base on passenger seat. For us and our budget, good buy and lots of power from the V10. Gas mileage cruising 62-65 9-10 mpg. So far happy with it.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #12

THOR #11628
Thank you so much! All good advice!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #13

THOR #11628
Thank you for responding. We decided yesterday to get the FE28. Pretty excited!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Thank you for responding. We decided yesterday to get the FE28. Pretty excited!

Congratulations! That’s a perfect size and you should enjoy it for many years. Do the most detailed predelivery inspect that you can (I.e. try everything and open every compartment. Make hot water, run the furnace even if it’s 90 degrees outside, try every switch and learn what the unmarked ones do, take it for a drive, look underneath, etc.). Don’t fret sawdust or free range screws (they didn’t fall out of anything, they just were dropped during assembly and it was easier to get another than find the dropped one). But then just go have fun!