Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: WindSport 34J
State: Kansas
THOR #14929
Hello Windsport 34J 2019 - Love it!

Hi we are Rick and Heather from Kansas - we've only rented C-Class before but brought home this big girl. We thought we broke the navigation the first day (yes the main power switch was off)

BUT - I am concerned about the leveling - we have been using the auto leveling and we end up with the front off the ground - tires swinging. Very frightening, we were in Oklahoma driving it home and spot seemed relatively level so we auto leveled it and the next morning saw we were 6 inches off the ground! Same thing happened at our house. Tried searching the threads and that leads just leads me to other issues...

Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
1 - just use manual level
2 - recalibrate the level sensor/control panel
3 - just use manual level
4 - Use the auto level if you like the coach hopping around senselessly
5 - just use manual level
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #3

State: Idaho
THOR #11367
We're having the same issue. 6wks on the road, no issues. Last night in an unlevel spot (front to back), the auto levelers took the front end up ridiculously high. Vrry scary. I don't get why the auto levelers went up in the back. Seems like just raising the front would take care of the leveling. Is this something that isn't supposed to be done? If I try and manually level the Jacks am I allowed to just put the front two down? I also need to know if I am manually putting the jacks down can stop whenever I want or is it push a button and they do their own thing? Hope this doesn't sound like a total beginner question.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I've only had that happen when we've been on a slope, but wheels have not been that far off the ground. We're new to motorhomes, and have yet to try manual leveling. Need to read up on that. Anyway, welcome to the forum
Old 04-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
While the manual says wheels should not be off the ground, the reality is it isn't a big deal. Just check under the RV and make sure the brake lines and ABS wires are not being pulled tight.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:57 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Welcome to the CLUB!

Yep, use the manual level.

I have a level I keep next to my drivers seat when manually leveling my coach.

I start with trying to park in spots where they are almost level. Its not always real world, However, I usually get it real close within 2 to 3*.

Whenever possible, I prefer to start with the rear jacks of the coach, then the front jacks. Once front to rear is level, then adjust side to side. I ALWAYS put all four of my jacks down so the coach is stable when the slide is put out and when walking. I also readjust my level if I am on a gravel/dirt pad or campsite.

Since we frequently camp at certain state parks/campgounds, we know which sites are better than others, and know which ones to stay away!

Safe Travels!
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Auto level feature is only there if you missed the annual trip to an amusement park. It is to simulate a space rocket blastoff. Never use auto...always use manual. Auto seems to never "test" coming down a bit during the process...it just keeps jacking you up in the air till it thinks it's level.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The Equalizer Leveling System

I had the Equalizer Leveling System installed on my 2018 Thor Siesta since I only had rear stabilizers on it. I wanted to have the coach level to feel comfortable when parked at a site. My system has an auto level or I can use manual and can adjust (raise/lower) each individual hydraulic ram as I see fit. I have used the auto level and it does get it in the ball park but usually have to fine tune it manually.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #9

THOR #14384
Having the front wheels off the ground isn't really an issue. Check and make sure that the brake lines and ABS lines don't have tension on them and if not, don't worry.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our Campsite!
You can always use the manual leveling controls.; to see if you can drop the entire rig down far enough for all 4 wheels to be on Terra Firma...

But I've had my front wheels in the air, and I agree: no big deal!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by srambus View Post
We're having the same issue. 6wks on the road, no issues. Last night in an unlevel spot (front to back), the auto levelers took the front end up ridiculously high. Vrry scary. I don't get why the auto levelers went up in the back. Seems like just raising the front would take care of the leveling. Is this something that isn't supposed to be done? If I try and manually level the Jacks am I allowed to just put the front two down? I also need to know if I am manually putting the jacks down can stop whenever I want or is it push a button and they do their own thing? Hope this doesn't sound like a total beginner question.
I use/like the manual mode better myself.
As far as tires off the ground:
The concern would be more if the rear tires are off the ground, they are the ones that keep the rig from rolling (parking brake).

In manual mode, if you let go of the button, the jacks cease their deployment.
And if you continue holding the button, they continue to deploy, until fully extended if you go far enough (they are only so long).

In my opinion, I would want all 4 landed to help in stabilization, it does not mean they have to be.
I would think this would allow frame twisting if only 2 were used, it's your rig though!

Realize that they deploy in pairs, left side pair, right side pair, front pair, and rear pair (and maybe not so during auto level, not sure, but think so).
So each jack has dual duty, dependent on how they are chosen by a single button push, at least with my experience on ours.
I believe this is to avoid a twist on the coach's frame, which could lead to other problems, like ease of slide out operation amongst possible others, since the frame is lifted off of the spring suspension of the wheels.

The part I haven't figured yet, is retracting them in a manual mode.
If I do not like my end result from a manual leveling, it's auto-retract and start over, just in a different combination order when I try again.

I take the high side or end jacks down till they touch first in manual mode, then continue, and I also try to park the rear as the high end, or I have a wooden piece of 2 x 12 I drive onto, to help, before beginning.

Since 2 operate at a time, any one jack not deployed, when chosen with one that already has, you need to give time for both to land (or the one & you may feel the other relax a second while things are moving along), since the juice is traveling through opened valves to each of them at the same time (essentially a pressure balance equalization).
*Each jack has its own control solenoid valve to allow fluid flow to it.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #12

THOR #11130
^^good summary^^ The first few times I used auto mode, it did seem like a lot more creaking was going on (frame twisting). The control panel lights let you know which end/side needs raised when you turn on the power to it. If you go at it slowly in manual mode, the lights will go off once it reaches level. Seemed in auto mode, it kept "second guessing" the level and would violently raise the entire coach way higher than it does in manual. When it was brand new I read all the post here from the veteran users about not using auto mode and questioned it. Once you go through the "motions", it becomes obvious why it's the best option. If off-level front to back and side to side, I always raise the front/rear first, then the side.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #13

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to our Campsite!
You can always use the manual leveling controls.; to see if you can drop the entire rig down far enough for all 4 wheels to be on Terra Firma...

But I've had my front wheels in the air, and I agree: no big deal!
Yes welcome, like Bob says here, you just need to bring along an extra step, or do that last leap!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #14

THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I use/like the manual mode better myself.
As far as tires off the ground:
The concern would be more if the rear tires are off the ground, they are the ones that keep the rig from rolling (parking brake).

The jacks are what keep the rig from rolling once they start to take the weight of the RV. Once you get most of the weight off the tires, they can do little to stop a roll if for whatever reason the RV started to slide on the jacks.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think it’s important to have the tires touching the ground to provide lateral support. If the levelers are extended far enough to get the tires 6 inches off the ground they are pretty far out. They are not designed to take much sideways force. Not especially likely that you’ll have a lot of it anyway but it’s a thought. I too gave up on the automatic function and do it manually. I’m told that the automatic system can be reprogrammed but I’ve never bothered to look into it.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvquest6 View Post
Hi we are Rick and Heather from Kansas - we've only rented C-Class before but brought home this big girl. We thought we broke the navigation the first day (yes the main power switch was off)

BUT - I am concerned about the leveling - we have been using the auto leveling and we end up with the front off the ground - tires swinging. Very frightening, we were in Oklahoma driving it home and spot seemed relatively level so we auto leveled it and the next morning saw we were 6 inches off the ground! Same thing happened at our house. Tried searching the threads and that leads just leads me to other issues...

Check your owners manual (or Levelor manufacturer site) for any warnings or cautions on "wheels off the ground". Most LCI leveling systems specifically warn against having the wheels off the ground.

Marshall
Old 04-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
1 - just use manual level
2 - recalibrate the level sensor/control panel
3 - just use manual level
4 - Use the auto level if you like the coach hopping around senselessly
5 - just use manual level
I use auto level if the site is already level and I want to take the ride. Otherwise DW puts the electronic level in the floor and says which way to go. I can level in in a minute or less compared to auto and getting altitude sickness. Nice to have it, though, I suppose.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #18

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
^^good summary^^ The first few times I used auto mode, it did seem like a lot more creaking was going on (frame twisting). The control panel lights let you know which end/side needs raised when you turn on the power to it. If you go at it slowly in manual mode, the lights will go off once it reaches level. Seemed in auto mode, it kept "second guessing" the level and would violently raise the entire coach way higher than it does in manual. When it was brand new I read all the post here from the veteran users about not using auto mode and questioned it. Once you go through the "motions", it becomes obvious why it's the best option. If off-level front to back and side to side, I always raise the front/rear first, then the side.
Why do you do front then rear? Bigfoot auto stabilizer jacks do rear then front and you can adjust as needed to level. So that's what I do with the jacks we have rather than using auto. Auto always seems to make a lot of unnecessary large adjustments..and always UP. I suppose it may not matter, but curious as to why you chose front then rear.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #19

THOR #11130
What I meant was front or rear first...then whichever side needs it. I never do the sides first.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #20

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
What I meant was front or rear first...then whichever side needs it. I never do the sides first.
Oh ok. now I see what you meant. Side to side first just seems like a bad idea anyway.