Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #15286
An eleven year veteran but new to the Forum.

Hello, fellow RVs. I was a Great Lakes Sailer and enjoyed racing and cruising with my family for fifty years but the physical demands of the sport and its geographical limitations steered me toward the purchase of my first "land yacht," in 2008. The transition was effortless and we really appreciated the added cabin space. My current unit is a 2018 Thor Fiesta 24SS that we purchased because it had a floor plan best suited to our RVing lifestyle. We put 10K miles on her yearly, driving to Kansas, Florida, New England, weekend getaways and an occasional month-long tour. We never make reservations, we enjoy camping off the grid and we rarely stay anywhere more than a few days

Old 08-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome. I too have a Thor Siesta 24SS and love the layout. My wife and I have took a 6700 mile southern state trip between April 19 to May 26 then 2 weeks later another 1,000 miles to/from Tombstone Arizona. 3 weeks later I took my 6 yr old grandson to Yellowstone National Park for another 2340 miles. We leave this Sunday for a trip to Salt Lake City for another week which should be another 1200 miles. I did a few mods that were easy. I removed the old factory bump stops and installed sumo springs for sway control. They work great and it was an easy job. I just followed a new mod that allows more air flow with the windows opening up further. Another easy mod that I did yesterday. I had a shop install The Equalizer levelers that are hydraulic for level comfort when parked.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Congratulations! Welcome to our group from South Texas!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
Remember... Just a a boat is a "Hole in the water; into which one throws money": an RV is that same hole; but it has been moved into the woods!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

THOR #15286
I'm very familiar with the hole in the water, Bob but the hole is smaller. Yes, I spend a lot of time fixing and improving the RV but my sailboat was akin to standing in a cold shower, tearing-up hundred dollar bills!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

THOR #15286
Paul, I'd like to hear more about those levelers. That's the one thing i wished the factory had installed. Gene Swift
Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #7

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 08-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You have several options if you have a mercedes benz chassis. Mercedes benz will void any warranty if you weld anything to the frame so it needs to be bolted on. I looked at the HWH and Equalizier Hydraulic levelers. Both were about the same in price. There is also the Big Foot leveling system. I went with the Equalizer (you can see it on You Tube) since it does not require heavy duty return ram springs to pull the ram back into the up position as the HWH system needs. With labor it cost about $6,000. I had a local family run rv repair shop order and install it. The system is also set up for blue tooth smart phone operations if you want to down load their free app. The way the motor home is set up has a natural forward down slope that made it uncomfortable to sit or sleep without leveling it each time we stopped at night. The additional plus of having a leveling system is that I can raise the mh up high enough to change out tires since the system is rated at 30,000 pounds lift (7500 pounds per ram x 4 rams). I also carry a bottle jack that can lift 20,000 pounds as a safety feature if I have to work on the mh underneath. The controls allow you to auto level or manual level. I can also raise/lower any of the individual rams as needed. You can text me at 714 604 7868 and I can send you some pictures of it.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I'm very familiar with the hole in the water, Bob but the hole is smaller. Yes, I spend a lot of time fixing and improving the RV but my sailboat was akin to standing in a cold shower, tearing-up hundred dollar bills!
I think that I understand your description all too well...
...And you even had the possibility of drowning!

B.O.A.T.: Break Out Another Thousand...
C.A.M.P.E.R.: Checks And Money Promptly Expended... Really!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote