Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
KKV

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #20141
Yes, another new guy

A neighbor of mine owns five RV dealerships in the Midwest. He told me business was up 300% since Covid and he’s a little conflicted over it. He’s a good man.

Aside from that we just closed on a 2017 30.2. We have 7, 8 and 10-year-olds so the bunkhouse works great.

We’ve gotten to know the black tank. We got to know all about clogs. My wife and I dug deep on the parking maneuvers to keep our grace intact. Our first night away I actually had a dream that one of the kids had stuffed a pool noodle into the bowl. Yes, we are all in. Mind, body and spirit!

Here’s my help list. Maybe one of you has all the answers. Maybe a few of you have some of the answers. I’m pretty sure there are answers:

1. Has anybody upgraded the general suspension of the unit? I wasn’t expecting Lexus handling but I don’t wanna drive a sponge either. Can anybody offer direction on springs or budget friendly upgrades you’ve done to take some float out of the boat?

2. While intimate, I have to ask: Are these relatively frequent toilet clogs normal? I understand there is 30 inches of radiused 45° PVC involved, but we’ve had a few “no drain moments” that were unsettling. The auger is our friend, but is this regular? (Pardon the pun)

3. Climate control enroute: What is the lesser sin? Running the generator simply so these first world kids can have cool air or run the chassis climate control and make everyone suffer? MPG or generator hours?

4. Our unit has a big single left side slide out. I really don’t wanna make it angry. I can appreciate over application of lubricant will actually draw in debris so can anyone smarter than me (and that’s easy) advise the service protocol for the slides?

I have 13 more questions but maybe another episode as part of the series.

Thanks in advance for any counsel you offer.

Peace.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:10 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
A neighbor of mine owns five RV dealerships in the Midwest. He told me business was up 300% since Covid and he’s a little conflicted over it. He’s a good man.

Aside from that we just closed on a 2017 30.2. We have 7, 8 and 10-year-olds so the bunkhouse works great.

We’ve gotten to know the black tank. We got to know all about clogs. My wife and I dug deep on the parking maneuvers to keep our grace intact. Our first night away I actually had a dream that one of the kids had stuffed a pool noodle into the bowl. Yes, we are all in. Mind, body and spirit!

Here’s my help list. Maybe one of you has all the answers. Maybe a few of you have some of the answers. I’m pretty sure there are answers:

1. Has anybody upgraded the general suspension of the unit? I wasn’t expecting Lexus handling but I don’t wanna drive a sponge either. Can anybody offer direction on springs or budget friendly upgrades you’ve done to take some float out of the boat?
Sumo Maxim springs, rear track bar is all my coach needed.

2. While intimate, I have to ask: Are these relatively frequent toilet clogs normal? I understand there is 30 inches of radiused 45° PVC involved, but we’ve had a few “no drain moments” that were unsettling. The auger is our friend, but is this regular? (Pardon the pun)

If the toilet is on the right side (passenger's side) and there is not enough water used in forms a POP due to the shallow depth of the tank under the toilet. There is no problem is the toilet is on the left (driver's side of the coach).

3. Climate control enroute: What is the lesser sin? Running the generator simply so these first world kids can have cool air or run the chassis climate control and make everyone suffer? MPG or generator hours?

I run the front A/C and dash air anytime the ambient is above 80 degrees. Generator uses 1/2 gallon an hour or about 7% of what the engine uses

4. Our unit has a big single left side slide out. I really don’t wanna make it angry. I can appreciate over application of lubricant will actually draw in debris so can anyone smarter than me (and that’s easy) advise the service protocol for the slides? Once upon a time Lippert recommended a CRC dry lubricant containing PTFE. When owners began using sticky substitutes, Lippert changed to no lubricant is better that the wrong ones. You are lubrication the slide's guides and the roller just below the guides; not the motors or the metal tracks

Peace.
Keep on asking, we have lots of answers. Some might even be correct.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:41 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the purchase. We are here to help you out so ask away. There is a lot of expertise on this forum and many have been there and can lend a helping hand.

Paul
Good Sam Member, Thousand Trails Member, Sumo Springs and The Equalizer Hydraulic Level System.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:52 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our campfire! Have your kids go cut some marshmallow sticks; and we can all swap some stories.

About the clogs: LOTS of water is your best friend!
Old 08-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. My only answers are that we are retired and travel by ourselves so we just use the chassis ac: As for toilet clogs, so far we have not had one: I don't need any mods as far as handling goes, but if you do a search there have been discussions on the topics in the past.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Welcome and add 5 gallons or so of water after flushing and certainly add a little water each use thereafter when flushing
Old 08-31-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
KKV

THOR #20141
Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
KKV

THOR #20141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Keep on asking, we have lots of answers. Some might even be correct.

Thanks much!
Old 08-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Welcome to the forum. We've found it helpful and fun.
Suspension- My rig is different so not helpful on that one.
Toilet - We avoid the clog issue by holding it for the entire trip and not going #2. Just kidding. If you have the typical RV toilet the key is to add water to the bowl before using it. Partially depress the foot pedal till a quart or so of water is in the bowl, do your thing, then flush for 5-6 seconds. That should work. If you are still getting clogs you may have a poorly fitted drain connection. If you or a friend have an endoscope attachment for your phone you can snake it down and check. They are not expensive, around $25.
AC - If its really hot your generator uses about 1/2 gallon for 1 hour of run time. Even with wear and tear on the gennie its $2 per hour. That's worth it to us. We agree with Beau388
Slide - We had ours repaired at the Lippert center in Goshen. As noted above they recommend no lubricant on the slide gear track or motors. On the under slide rollers is OK.
Intimate Questions - No problem, we've all been there.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
Google CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) and get a steering stabilizer. Check your tire air pressure and front end alignment.

This is a common problem when the toilet is on the curb side of the RV. As others have said - use lotsa water.

Many people use the generator and house A/C to keep the box cool when traveling in the heat. One of the main uses for your generator. Use it and don't seat it (pun intended).

4. Our unit has a big single left side slide out. I really don’t wanna make it angry. I can appreciate over application of lubricant will actually draw in debris so can anyone smarter than me (and that’s easy) advise the service protocol for the slides?
I use the previously recommended by Lippert lubricants on my big wall slide. I also lubricate the rollers the slide sits on frequently which seems to help the most.

Peace.
Many more answers available. You just need to sort through them when you ask.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote