Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #14326
Hi! Ex-Cruise America 2001 Thor majestic

Hi all !
Anyone else have one of these RVs? We’ve had ours for 3 years with no issues but now we are having lots of battery issues and can’t figure it out.hope to gain some knowledge here and hopefully can help someone else with less complicated stuff! Thanks, Lisa

Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Maybe you could give a bit more detail in what you are experiencing.

Some battery problems have been discussed in threads already, in tech topics, modifications, and other header forums.
Easiest way is to do a search, click tab at top that says search threads.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree... and welcome to the Forum also!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #14326
2001 Ex-Cruise America Thor majestic - battery issues

I know there are tons of posts about battery stuff but I'm a little lost on what parts of those posts might apply to my problem. So I'd like to talk about what's going on and maybe someone can help?

We've had our rig a few years and everything initially worked fine even when dry camping and we did not have our vehicle plugged into shore power when it was sitting in the driveway. We usually took it out about once a month.
Last year, our chassis battery went dead. We replaced it and the vehicle sat in the driveway for probably about a month. Next time we go to leave and the battery is dead, so we jumped it and on our way.
This happened a few times and so we installed a battery cutoff switch on the
chassis battery so that when it was parked we could just turn that knob and it would be fine next time we wanted to leave without having to jump it.

Then we started noticing that our lights in the cabin were dim and wouldn't really last very long unless we were camping with hookup.
The coach battery started having a sulfury smell the last 2 times we were out and died shortly thereafter. That was a 2015 battery. We replaced that with a new one a couple of weeks ago. My husband tested it recently and that new battery is already dead.

We think we tested the converter (when plugged into shore power it was reading around 12 v I think).

We noticed that one time when we parked it, the ignition switch was touchy and easy to pull the key out in the on position, so we replaced the ignition switch. We thought that might be the drain on the chassis battery, and didn't use the cutoff switch for a few days to see, but sure enough it wasn't because the chassis battery died, so back to using our cutoff switch.

We aren't exactly vehicle/electrical gurus but my husband can fix a lot of things so hoping someone has an idea about where to start again on trying to diagnose the problem.
I see many posts about the battery/breaker near the entrance door, but I don't think our vehicle has that? or if it does I don't know where it is.

Only other thing to mention is that we replaced the radio/stereo before the chassis battery started dying. We think we tested that at the time though and it didn't seem significant.

I can deal with using the cutoff switch on the chassis battery, but it's a real bummer to have a dead coach battery and not be able to camp unless we have hookup.
thanks a bunch for any advice you can give!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Sounds like a converter going bad or is bad
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite24FE