Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #4547
Hi--new forum member

Hi there--just joined the forum although I have been reading posts for awhile. My husband and I (almost 60) are looking to buy our first motorhome. At this point, after research that included pretty much every option, we think we are narrowed down to either a Vegas/Axis or Hurricane. It will probably be a year before we take the plunge so that could all change! In the meantime I thought I'd become a member so I can post questions as they come up. One question I have for starters is related to all the advice I've read about making sure you have a reputable dealer to start things off right. Is there a list anywhere of dealer reviews in different areas to help us in making sure we find the best dealer? We will probably buy a MH that is a couple of years old, but it would be good to know just in case...thanks all!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
First, Welcome aboard. There is a lot of good information here.
There is only one place I know of that rates just the service. Try RVServiceReviews.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome Ozeek! Always exciting to see people taking the plunge and begin the lifestyle. Took me 11 months my first time to buy, about 6 months on my current unit. I love my Hurricane, the size and all the extras that are on board. good luck with your search.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Welcome Aboard.... I would go with the Hurricane, Our Infinity is just an upgraded model of what you are looking at..
suggestions....
Get the largest fresh water & holding tanks that you can.(And generator)
Get the heaviest duty leveling jack system you can
Same goes for the furnace & A/C btu's

Try to not get carpet anywhere but in the bedroom..... goats heads & thorns are no kind of fun picking out with tweezers.....(don't ask how I know this)

For durability and trouble free use Do Not get the galley on a slide out.. the water,gas and power plumbings have to "flex" when a slide is extended or retracted just asking for a prob.. imho.

And.... whatever one you look at consider this... "Can I/We use the coach without extending the slides?" there will be times that you do not have the room when parked to extend..... and can you cook,use the bath, or even get into bed?
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Hi ! and welcome to the forum. Born and raised in Albuq. ! we just returned from 4 state loop ending in Rio Rancho visiting family.

Your search for what is comfortable for you and your husband will offer many choices. When you get near the purchase point, lean on this forum heavily for information regarding the purchase and delivery.

We have had several motorhomes and a toyhauler. The two of us travel with our cat. We find the Axis 24.1 perfect for us. However, some folks prefer more space..larger bathroom, more closet space, etc.
Take all these options into consideration and look closely at the finished product inside and out. The details are important in your loving or not liking your choice.

Feel free to ask all of us any and all questions you might have. The journey is half the fun !

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 PM   #6

State: New Mexico
THOR #4547
Thank you all!

Thank you all so much--you have already provided a wealth of information! I forgot to mention that we will be traveling with our 2 dogs (lab mixes) so the less carpet the better and DEFINITELY an outside shower! Thanks again and I will definitely be asking lots more questions as time goes on.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My wife & I are retired. We travel with our Bichon. Size of the RV was very important to us. We did not want to be driving s bus.

We bought a 2015 Vegas 24.1. We love it. Perfect size for us. We love the twin bed setup. We bought it with an optional 15K A/C -- turns the coach into a meat locker (,and we live and camp in FL). Plenty of storage and it handles great for us.

Doesn't need quirky leveling system that is often prone to problems. All of our appliances, heater, slide, and awning have performed flasslessly.

I constantly advocate that the most important research to do is that on dealer service. You can find a good sales deal almost anywhere. Finding a good dealer that performs outstanding service is something else. Gbrown's is a good place to start. Also, any dealer you choose put their names with "reviews" after it. You'll be surprised what is available locally on them

Keep us posted on what you decide, and come back here anytime you have a question.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote