Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #1901
Thor Motor Coach Windsport 27k

Hello from a new RV'r, My 2014 Thor Windsport 27K has proven to be more than expected regarding basic problems after delivery.

1. Roof bubbles.
2. Bathroom mirror cracked due to flexing between latch at top and knob at bottom.
3. Large duct on drivers side not connected to anything.
4. Sat prep had no Coax to Sat dish in.
5. R/H FWD jack down light comes on when driving during rain.
6. Rear TV has no signal from Park Cable.
7. Driver side Windshield Wiper goes past L/H pillar on high causing it to skip during heavy rain.
8. Pantry slide put a hole in door during delivery from MFG.

Traveled 2600 miles from Oregon to Oceanside California and back during some very heavy cross winds and found the Thor Windsport 27K to be very stable both on I5 and HWY 395 back to Oregon. So I think after some warranty work my coach will be a good investment.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #2017
The first trip does expose numerous things. I had a similar experience with my ACE 27.1. Took it back to dealer and they are taking care of it. Minor annoyances, but overall a good experience. Our biggest issue is waiting for Amazon to deliver things we think we have to have for the next trip. [emoji4]
Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
I'm sure there is a logical explanation for everything!

Sometimes new owners over-react, expecting their new item to be "perfect".

Many of your finds are actually unlisted features for the next revision of the brochure!

1. Roof bubbles.
If these are found on the interior headliner, it indicates trapped pockets of emergency water. In the event of a dire emergency simply pop and collect the water, sterilize, distill, and then drink. If they are on the exterior, they are trapped air to act as a cushion for you solar panel installation.

2. Bathroom mirror cracked due to flexing between latch at top and knob at bottom.
This is a safety feature! It prevents the mirror from cracking in the event you would actually throw something at it. It's pre-stress relieved!

It's actually connected to something, or it would be on the road. Seriously.

HDMI is the way to go! They are doing you a solid by eliminating outdated technology.

Who doesn't wish all their jack lights wouldn't come on in the rain? They are pretty. At least you can enjoy one!

Park cable is ONLY for those in the front of the RV! If you are in the rear, play video games or watch a DVD.

7. Driver side Windshield Wiper goes past L/H pillar on high causing it to skip during heavy rain.
Keeps that L/H pillar rain-free!

That's an indicator divot, to show you how far the pantry slide can open. It's also a feature.

Actually, I'm very glad you found these items for your warranty repair list! It's better to find them now, than after the warranty period expires.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Beacher,

You must be a writer for some of those Hollywood comedy shows.

We must laugh to keep from crying.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #1901
uess this is the wrong forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I'm sure there is a logical explanation for everything!

Sometimes new owners over-react, expecting their new item to be "perfect".

Many of your finds are actually unlisted features for the next revision of the brochure!

1. Roof bubbles.
If these are found on the interior headliner, it indicates trapped pockets of emergency water. In the event of a dire emergency simply pop and collect the water, sterilize, distill, and then drink. If they are on the exterior, they are trapped air to act as a cushion for you solar panel installation.

This is a safety feature! It prevents the mirror from cracking in the event you would actually throw something at it. It's pre-stress relieved!

It's actually connected to something, or it would be on the road. Seriously.

HDMI is the way to go! They are doing you a solid by eliminating outdated technology.

Who doesn't wish all their jack lights wouldn't come on in the rain? They are pretty. At least you can enjoy one!

Park cable is ONLY for those in the front of the RV! If you are in the rear, play video games or watch a DVD.

Keeps that L/H pillar rain-free!

That's an indicator divot, to show you how far the pantry slide can open. It's also a feature.

Actually, I'm very glad you found these items for your warranty repair list! It's better to find them now, than after the warranty period expires.
Thought this Thor Forum was to let other Thor owners know about the Good, Bad and Ugly issues regarding their Thor Coach. Looks like this forum is for poster bashing. I won't bother posting any other defects or fixes.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by l100fltmgr View Post
Thought this Thor Forum was to let other Thor owners know about the Good, Bad and Ugly issues regarding their Thor Coach. Looks like this forum is for poster bashing. I won't bother posting any other defects or fixes.
The forum is as you described, however, some folks to inject humor into the forum.

Do not discontinue posting issues, ideas or fixes as there are numerous folks within the forum that can provide advice on most issues encountered with the various model coaches.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Golly, gee whiz. I sincerely was not bashing. I apologize if I offended you.

I was "making light", if anything.

If you read the very last sentences, I truly meant that it was good to catch the defects now, during your enforceable warranty period. You do not want to pay out of pocket for those repairs.

These forums are indeed full of negative Thor information. I just wanted to place a positive spin.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #8

THOR #1455
New Windsport 27K owner also

My lovely wife and I (am I correct in assuming that DW means Dear Wife?) bought a 2014 Windsport 27K a little over 2 months ago and have taken on 2 trips so far. Yes some small issues that have been fixed quickly and easily and (so far) just 2 major issues. 1) The exhaust for the engine was not angled far enough away from the outside wall and burnt the wall slightly. Fixed. 2) Hot water heater not working. Wires not connected in back of unit. Fixed.

We are very happy so far and have numerous trips planned for the rest of the year.

l100fltmgr Welcome to the forum and please don't get offended with Beachers comments. He seemed to just be having fun. He has great insight and ideas that are very helpful.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Yeah, Beacher was just trying to lighten the situation. It is stressful when you find things wrong. Don't think it is just your's though. We all find lots of items. They push them through the line so fast that either no one cares or there isn't time to do it right. Either is a poor excuse and those that prevent it sell the most coaches and trailers. Some of those things are easy fixes and most of us attempt to do them ourselves so as not to be at the mercy of the dealer holding your coach for weeks on end where you can't use it.

If you are handy with tools try to fix what you can and leave the other for a trip to dealer but if that has to be done I would wait till I had a lot of items to fix. If you want to fix something and are not sure how just post here and someone or actually MANY will help you out. Don't let it bring you down to bad and ruin your experience.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:51 AM   #10

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
State: Arkansas
THOR #1845
I would like to echo Dave and the others in asking you not to stop posting . Like you we were 1st time RVers about a year ago. I learned a lot by reading the posts on this forum for a long time before finally joining a short time ago. We also had many of the basic Thor issues as everyone else. As Dave has often pointed out many these are with products supplied to Thor from the common RV suppliers. Also , on our 1st trip a rock hit our wind shield . Had to replace. Then believe it or not on our 1st long trip to Utah a mower in the median on I-40 threw another rock through the window above the booth/dinette ! Sealed it with cardboard and duct tape til we could get a temporary plexiglass repair in St. George, Ut. We got the permanent fix done when we got back home. Insurance paid for both with only one deductable. If not for developing a sense of humor about it all and realizing we were still having a great time in spite of the mishaps we could have easily thrown in the towel at the beginning !! That's what Beacher was trying to do and we can certainly relate to innovative humor !
Happy RVing !
Donnie & Becky
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
THOR #892
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Golly, gee whiz. I sincerely was not bashing. I apologize if I offended you.

I was "making light", if anything.

If you read the very last sentences, I truly meant that it was good to catch the defects now, during your enforceable warranty period. You do not want to pay out of pocket for those repairs.

These forums are indeed full of negative Thor information. I just wanted to place a positive spin.
Life can be pretty tough, if you lack a sense of humor... Don't go away, we'll try to help where we can..
Old 05-22-2015, 04:29 AM   #12

THOR #892
Quote:
Hello from a new RV'r, My 2014 Thor Windsport 27K has proven to be more than expected regarding basic problems after delivery.

1. Roof bubbles.

Traveled 2600 miles from Oregon to Oceanside California and back during some very heavy cross winds and found the Thor Windsport 27K to be very stable both on I5 and HWY 395 back to Oregon. So I think after some warranty work my coach will be a good investment.
As to #8, nearly every THOR coach I looked at, when I was shopping, had this issue in varying degrees. I had the dealer install a second latch at the top of the pantry(it only has one at the bottom), it has never opened in a turn again.attachment.php
As to #6 Do you have reception in the bedroom from the antenna? If not, look behind the panel where the Winegard amplifier is mounted and look at the cabling. The white coax (park) goes to the back of that amp and the "out to TV" should go to a splitter, check that both "TV coaxes" are connected to that splitter (1 to the "main" TV and one to the bedroom)
and #4 the only satellite "prep" that my 2015 A.C.E. 27.1 had was a reinforced mounting area in the roof above the passenger seat area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch box.JPG
Views:	1629
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch strike.JPG
Views:	1323
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	461  

Name:	sensarconnection.jpg
Views:	11350
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	462  
Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #13

THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
As to #8, nearly every THOR coach I looked at, when I was shopping, had this issue in varying degrees. I had the dealer install a second latch at the top of the pantry(it only has one at the bottom), it has never opened in a turn again.attachment.php
Well, I bragged too soon, my pantry came open and put a mark on the "linen closet" door , so I am installing a positive lath on the pantry at the d\same location as the friction catch pictured above. it is similar to this one:

to open the pantry one will have to push the release button on the handle, it won't "fly" open any more unless it rips the striker out of the frame... I'll post some pics of the installation when completed.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
I like that idea of a lock with a handle on it. My 27K was delivered with a hole in the door from the pantry sliding open.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Texas
THOR #1921
I was about to install the second southco latch because of the hole in my pantry door.
Will get a latch.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #16

THOR #892
I finally got around to taking pics of the installation, sorry about the poor quality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0129.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1035   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0130.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1036  

Name:	PICT0128.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1038  
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #17

THOR #989
Did you have to remove the pantry to install the latch. If you did remove the pantry, how did you do it and does it require two people? Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #18

THOR #892
No, I didn't remove the pantry. (I could never locate the release for the bottom tracks)
I removed the face of the pantry to install the latch, there are about 6 screws holding the face to the slide. If you were to remove the slide, it would take 2 people. (at least to put it back)
Old 12-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #19

THOR #989
Thanks for the information. I never thought about removing the face panel. I also could not see the releases on the bottom tracks. Where did you find the latch you used?

I added shelves to the closet opposite to the pantry where we store heavier items such as canned food. We store lighter items in the pantry and this has reduced the unexpected openings but we don't want any!!! Thanks for your reply.

Happy & Safe Travels in the New Year
Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #20

THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
T Where did you find the latch you used?
Happy & Safe Travels in the New Year
eBay...