Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Oregon
THOR #24177
Smile Hi from Oregon

My wife and I bought a new-model Thor ACE 27.2 in 2016 in preparation for our move to Oregon. Since then we've enjoyed the PNW and wonderful family times , using our coach to provide logistics support for family camping - my son-in-law and daughter love to tent camp and they have two young daughters, so the coach is a very convenient way to help make their camping easier and give our kids some alone time while we entertain the grand-daughters with movies and games aboard the coach. It's a challenge to drive the coach, to be honest. The 10-cylinder Ford engine labors in the passes through the coast range and the Cascades. I drove through the Rockies into California (from the Grand Canyon) and the coach nearly stalled out going uphill. Downhill is a wrestling match too, and speeds over 45 going downhill? VERY EXCITING! The coach feels quite tippy. Nevertheless, it's a comfortable home-away-from-home, as we discovered when living in the coach for three months while waiting to close on our house. There have been some issues with the black tank getting clogged with tp, and the decorative swooshes on the exterior haven't stood up to the sun very well at all, but the interior has held up very well. I hope to learn more tricks and solve maintenance problems with your help, so thanks in advance!

Old 07-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
The 5 speed V-10 RVs got upgraded to 6 speeds for a pretty good reason...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Oregon
THOR #24177
TY for the reply, I didn't expect one! Six speeds? I had to look at the specs to realize you're right. Tell me, do you downshift to go downhill?
Old 07-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
On mine, we have a tow mode. Using it changes the shift points and allows the engine to help in braking. I use it in the mountains regardless of towing or not as it helps a bunch. It's a 2019 f53 chassis.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Welcome to Oregon. What part? We have a massive number of places to take the RV. We do have plenty 6%-7% grades. We go to Mount Hood and Seaside a lot. TT. Your length will be a good fit here. We have a 35 foot and have no problems finding places.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:12 PM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum
Old 07-14-2021, 01:03 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. The tp issue in the black tank can be avoided in a couple of ways. First fill the bowl like a residential toilet before using it. I use single ply scott tp. Flush when done and re-flush to be sure enough water is used to help it break down. To help keep the toilet bowl clean, place several pieces of tp on top of the water before using it. It will help keep the sides of the bowl clean by placing a barrier between the bowl and any solids in the bowl. When I dump the black tank before storage, I flush it out at least 3 times to be sure everything gets removed. A little bit of Dawn dish soap helps to keep the sides of the black tank clean and things from sticking to it(pour some into the toilet).

Paul
Old 07-14-2021, 01:19 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Check if there's a button on the end of your shift lever... newer Ford trucks, etc. with a factory installed tow package have built-in tow/haul mode. If there is a button, when you press it you will see a small amber "tow haul" light up in the instrument cluster. With it engaged, it keeps the transmission from upshifting going downhill, and creates a sort of engine-brake. Uphill it keeps the tranny in a lower gear longer... it screams like a Banshee, but that's as designed... won't hurt it at all.

Don't be afraid to rev the engine while climbing hills... those V-10 engines are designed as workhorses. Although they've now been replaced by a new V-8, the V-10 was in production for over 20 years... they're rugged reliable engines - although pretty noisy.

Tags
initial post