Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M
State: Florida
THOR #6760
2017 Hurricane 29M Purchase

Hello everyone, flying to Texas from FL 4/07 to MHSRV to pick up our new RV. I have a question that they are trying to sell me 4 r 6 year RV Care warranty. are they worth the $3,400 to $3,800? this is our first RV and will be retiring 1 year from now and full time travel.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I would say no. When you crunch the numbers it doesn't add up. Most problems are going to happen during the 1 year warranty.

Congratulations on your new coach, we love ours! Be sure to check out the mods in the thread "Jerry's Hurricane mods" lots of good ideas for your new baby. Take advantage of staying at MSHRV a night or 2, gives you a chance to look over and try out everything, if you have problems they will take care of them, nice people!

Have fun and enjoy!!! Always people on the forum to assist if you need it!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Extended Service Plans are personal preference decision... Some things to think about:
How mechanically inclined are you? You have a new home with combination of all house and auto systems in one unit...
How much risk are you willing to take? (consistent payments or prepaid versus unknown timing/expense) Some just set aside the amount of money they would pay and use that to pay for service.

Still not a hard and fast yes or no answer - shopping around to adjust payments/deductible can expand options.

On my first RV - bought used at approx 10 years old, I got a high deductible plan - intending it as 'catastrophic' protection - something major in engine/powertrain...

On second - year old rig - I initially took dealers offer - but without powertrain since I still had factory warranty... I later cancelled it and switched plans when factory warranty expired.

I take care of much of the regular maint and problems myself - but the service plan has already kept pace with expense for a couple of expensive items I needed replaced. In the long run, we will see.

You get a 1 year warranty from Thor, and 3 year powertrain from Ford... My recommendation is to hold off and see how year 1 goes. You can always pick up the service plan afterwards - from dealer or outside.
If deciding to get it - remember if you roll it into your financing - it ends up costing much more.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats on the new coach! We also love ours and are getting ready to retire and full time in it as well.

Getting an extended service plan is basically choosing whether or not you can do some of the handiwork yourself and/or that you won't spend that kind of money in repairs over the life of the contract. Most appliances that will break generally break inside the first year but that also depends on how much you use the coach in that time. All of the shaking and rattling from being driven around can take a toll on the house side of things. I am generally pretty handy on both the automotive side and the house side and proved to the wife that I can handle the issues when they come up and if not, that is what the savings plan is for. It is about the risk - how much are you willing to take for the warranties as given?

I would side with gmc on this - hold off a year and see how it goes. You can always purchase a plan after your initial year is up or even later. Doing that also doesn't add the cost of the plan into your financing over a lot of years, if you go that route.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #5

Model: 29M
THOR #6760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I would say no. When you crunch the numbers it doesn't add up. Most problems are going to happen during the 1 year warranty.

Congratulations on your new coach, we love ours! Be sure to check out the mods in the thread "Jerry's Hurricane mods" lots of good ideas for your new baby. Take advantage of staying at MSHRV a night or 2, gives you a chance to look over and try out everything, if you have problems they will take care of them, nice people!

Have fun and enjoy!!! Always people on the forum to assist if you need it!
thanks all, I will wait a year on warranty. I read the forums a lot and help me on deciding on going to MSHRV to pick it up. I have also been read Jerrys mods awhile.

Now need to find MH insurance, any recommendations?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannclan View Post
thanks all, I will wait a year on warranty. I read the forums a lot and help me on deciding on going to MSHRV to pick it up. I have also been read Jerrys mods awhile.

Now need to find MH insurance, any recommendations?
We have Progressive it was the best price and coverage

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #7

THOR #5196
Every area is different, where are you going to store, how many miles per year, etc. If you have home owners and auto with the same company sometimes you will get a discount on RV insurance. We carry home owners, two vehicles, motorcycle, boat, and RV all thru the same company which gets us the best rate. You may have to do some shopping around to find the best deal. Bet you're getting excited!!!

P.S. I too agree 100% with what gmc says, especially the part about financing, you'll have to pay interest on your warranty!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Virginia
THOR #4004
NO! In fact, RUN, run as fast as you can AWAY from Thor!!! We have had issues from DAY ONE and a Life Time Warranty would NOT help as they have blood thirsty lawyers just waiting to violate your privacy and deny you!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #9

THOR #5196
This is our second Thor, the first was a Tuscany that we sold due to storage problems. Both coaches have had only a couple of minor issues which were easy fixes. If you read forums for other brands you will see the same issues and comments over and over again. I was once parked next to a 1.5 million dollar coach and the owner hated it due to numerous problems!

I once bought a new Mercury Cougar, it was in the shop over and over again for repairs, ended up having to sell it, so I guess I should never buy another Ford product!

Do bad products come out of the factory, absolutely they do, every factory, bar none!!!

Myself and a lot of others are very happy with our Thor coaches. Spacelink I'm sorry you had so much difficulty, unfortunately you are an exception, not the rule.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #10

THOR #4004
Great Dave, then YOU buy our vehicle from us! All we've asked from those POS is to take back the vehicle and make us 'whole again'... That means, give us ALL of our money back! I too have owned a hellova lot of vehicles over the years and NEVER had as many problems (to include the day of purchase) as I have from this one.
As far as I'm concerned, when a manufacturer has a TEAM of attorney's to FIGHT the customer, they can go to HELL and I WILL do whatever I can to ensure they LOSE business if not go OUT OF BUSINESS!!!
People that save to make a life time purchase for their family (my wife and I have been raising our grandchildren and the youngest (he's 11 and severely autistic) felt comfortable and safe in the RV) should NOT have to SUE the manufacturer to make things right!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Congrats on the new purchase. It sucks when someone rains on your parade but don't let it get you down none. His POS is his and some are real jewels. I've had a lemon and took a huge loss and i've had a jewel so I know his pain but all manufacturers make lemons once in awhile. Key is do your PDI and go from there. Enjoy and hope to see you on the roadways.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #12

THOR #4004
Roger, so WHY should WE (the paying consumer) take any HUGE LOSS when purchasing products or services??? We worked our asses off to get to the point of being able to purchase something to go out and enjoy, NOT have to FIGHT the manufacturer over because they are POS!
Just saying, if they did the 'right thing' maybe they'd have more 'happy campers'!!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannclan View Post
Hello everyone, flying to Texas from FL 4/07 to MHSRV to pick up our new RV. I have a question that they are trying to sell me 4 r 6 year RV Care warranty. are they worth the $3,400 to $3,800? this is our first RV and will be retiring 1 year from now and full time travel.
Generally, I have found extended warranties are not worth the cost. You're spending good money in anticipation of a large repair bill, which rarely actually happens. Then, you have to get them to pay. You'd be much better off putting that $3,400 to $3,800 in a dedicated bank account and using it to pay for the rare expensive out-of-warranty repair. Odds are at the end of the extended warranty period you'll still have most, if not all, of your money.

BTW I LOVE my Thor motorhome! Very few issues. One lemon does not spoil the whole bunch.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #14

THOR #4004
Normally I'd agree, but this was our FIRST RV and to be a lemon (almost two years of owning it and it is still sitting, BROKE after coming back from the factory repair center one year ago!) one would think that Thor would take it back and at least give us a new one. NO!! They'd rather spend no telling how much on attorney's to FIGHT us and then even admitted in a letter to our former attorney that the vehicle was defective when it was sold to us!
I'm sure that if the shoe was on the other foot and YOU were the one's dealing with this, you'd be just as livid...