Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
We're on our second Thor, the first, an Axis ,the wife didn't like, (too dark/single beds). Our second, a Vegas 25.2 is ideal for what we do, the rear slide out is great, giving us a pretty big bedroom. I've added extras and mods including a new, bigger s'less steel sink, solar panels, inverter, levelling jacks and an extra, round table.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
We're on our second Thor, the first, an Axis ,the wife didn't like, (too dark/single beds). Our second, a Vegas 25.2 is ideal for what we do, the rear slide out is great, giving us a pretty big bedroom. I've added extras and mods including a new, bigger s'less steel sink, solar panels, inverter, levelling jacks and an extra, round table.
And what happens in Vegas...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
And what happens in Vegas...
Old 11-08-2020, 02:51 AM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #21088
I watch a lot of You Tube for research. However, I like to see it and touch it as well. The RV shows should start in a few months. See what is coming to your area.

Anyone out there have a 2014? I believe 2014 was the first year for the Axis and only offered the 24.1. I am going to look at one next week. It is a one owner and I am hopeful it will be just what I need to get started. I hate to hear you say they look cheap. I suppose I will find out soon enough.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:21 AM   #25

THOR #21088
I am happy to hear you still like your older Axis. I may be picking up a 2014 next week. One owner, 45k miles.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:23 AM   #26

THOR #21088
I am happy to hear you both still like your older Axis. I may be picking up a 2014 next week. One owner, 45k miles.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:37 AM   #27

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylbryte View Post
I am happy to hear you both still like your older Axis. I may be picking up a 2014 next week. One owner, 45k miles.
I own a 2015 same as the 14, I'm really happy with what I've turned the RV into. I feel Thor did an excellent job of designing the coach and the Ford F-53 chases is bullet proof, but the crew that put them together I feel fell short, I have come across some real head scratchers trying to figure out why they have done things, but all in all real pleased, of course they have added and improved with newer models but what keeps me from upgrading is the unique windshield,, only a few year option..I own a few classic cars that are unique so the Axis fits right in..
Old 11-08-2020, 05:51 AM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
I own a 2015 same as the 14, I'm really happy with what I've turned the RV into. I feel Thor did an excellent job of designing the coach and the Ford F-53 chases is bullet proof, but the crew that put them together I feel fell short, I have come across some real head scratchers trying to figure out why they have done things, but all in all real pleased, of course they have added and improved with newer models but what keeps me from upgrading is the unique windshield,, only a few year option..I own a few classic cars that are unique so the Axis fits right in..
Except that the Axis/Vegas units don't use the F-53 chassis. The 24.1 uses either an E-350 or E-450 depending on the model year.

Yup still happy with our 2014 24.1.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #29

State: Georgia
THOR #3340
My 2014 Axis

Funny, I just had a long talk with a Hurricane owner in the parking lot at Cracker Barrel last night about my little Axis (24.1). I too fell in love with the windshield and the rest just came with it. This trip was for an overnight softball tournament with the Axis serving as “overflow” for the family staying in the hotel. It’s small enough that it takes up little space in the tournament parking lot yet has enough engine to get it up the mountains of North Georgia to take the two “littles” camping for a week at a time. Though I have been coast to coast and border to border - even staying months at a time snowbirding, this is my favorite use. Most of my troubles have been self inflicted and though there are some specific quirks that the guys here have had to help me out with, I can’t imagine owning anything else - wouldn’t even look. I guess the only thing I really missed on this was the misdesign on the whatchamacallit cable that changes the PDR - mine got burned up on Mount Eagle a few years ago. Shoulda had that redone before. Pardon me now I’m at the ball field early so I can step out of my little coach and watch the ISS pass over. Happy Trails!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueasher1@netzero.net View Post
Funny, I just had a long talk with a Hurricane owner in the parking lot at Cracker Barrel last night about my little Axis (24.1). I too fell in love with the windshield and the rest just came with it. This trip was for an overnight softball tournament with the Axis serving as “overflow” for the family staying in the hotel. It’s small enough that it takes up little space in the tournament parking lot yet has enough engine to get it up the mountains of North Georgia to take the two “littles” camping for a week at a time. Though I have been coast to coast and border to border - even staying months at a time snowbirding, this is my favorite use. Most of my troubles have been self inflicted and though there are some specific quirks that the guys here have had to help me out with, I can’t imagine owning anything else - wouldn’t even look. I guess the only thing I really missed on this was the misdesign on the whatchamacallit cable that changes the PDR - mine got burned up on Mount Eagle a few years ago. Shoulda had that redone before. Pardon me now I’m at the ball field early so I can step out of my little coach and watch the ISS pass over. Happy Trails!
Back when we first got our coach our son was still playing baseball (and not in college ! LOL) we used our Axis to tailgate his doubleheaders and feed the team in between the games.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #31

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Except that the Axis/Vegas units don't use the F-53 chassis. The 24.1 uses either an E-350 or E-450 depending on the model year.

Yup still happy with our 2014 24.1.

We can always count on the Geek for a correction! I Have a Box Van that has the F-53 got them confused.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 AM   #32

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I'll chime in here with our experience. Our 2016 Vegas 25.2 was built early in the model year, and has the taller windshield and the E-350 chassis. With what I know now, I would have preferred the later 2016 model with those changes, be have few complaints with our coach as delivered 5 years ago. We now have 35K on it and hundreds of night in it.

We prefer the walk around queen to the bed setup in the 24.1. Your preferences may vary. Our main complaints are the shredding upholstery and oxidation of the gelcoat. Exposure to the punishing Florida sun has aggravated both of those issues.

I have considered the competitive motorhome offerings, and so far haven't found anything that compells me to spend the $$$ to trade. For us and the way we travel (now) it's our Goldilocks coach, not too big, not too small, but just right.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #33

THOR #21088
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Thank you. I think I will love my new to me 2014. One of those head scratchers has to be cut out the plywood to get to the chassis battery.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #34
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Thank you. I think I will love my new to me 2014. One of those head scratchers has to be cut out the plywood to get to the chassis battery.
That is the same on every model year. Some people have been able to remove it via the wheelwell.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:43 PM   #35

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
I delayed doing this until it was time to replace the chassis battery. The hard part for me was removing the screws in the flip computer desk. Had to get a hammer drill for that.

Once that was off, I thought I would add hinges, but instead just mounted 4 flat brackets so I could replace the plywood after I cut it out with a plunge saw.

Now that I have access, that's how I add oil when I do an oil change. You can do this!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:46 AM   #36

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzerj@comcast.net View Post
In my 2018 Vegas the microwave being down below made it impossible to use! We had to take pics of the front in order to program it.
Funny you should say that...

We opted for an end of year New ‘17 over a New ‘18 for that very reason. (Plus it was $10k less).

My 6’ wifey refused to bend-over (you know what I mean...), too difficult to read the displays

And yes, we gave up the large window, stainless under-mount sink and small flat cooktop. Instead got an over-the-cooktop vent.

We’ve since remodeled the kitchen to provide more flat counter space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6CCA2BD-D83D-446B-9C29-4780447F37E4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	27090  
Old 11-10-2020, 12:56 AM   #37

THOR #13362
One more thing...,
Living in Southern California we use & enjoy our outside TV more than any other feature.
Since we added a DISH dome, it’s so convenient and fun

Too bad the outside TV is no longer available on AXIS/VEGAS
Old 04-26-2023, 10:22 PM   #38

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Have a 2015 Vegas 24.1. We have 37,000 miles on it. I'm with JamieGeek -- my only complaints are the shredding upholstery and Gelcoat that's oxidized -- and the load Ford V-10). We have a Jack-Knife sofa and two new captains chair on order in ultimate leather from Shop4seats that should be delivered in late June.

When we bought it new at the General RV in Tampa. We picked the one they had that had the optional 15,000 BTU A/C. So glad we got that -- the wife gets it down to meat locker temps I the summer (even in bright sun in FL). We like the twin beds. Surprisingly, we've always said the be mattresses were more comfortable than the mattresses at home. The space in the shower took some time to get used to but out no big thing for us anymore. The stock curtains shredded in the first year we had it. My wife made ne curtains with red plaid material that are still holding up well.

Have never gotten used to how loud the Ford V-10. There is no way to have a conversation with anyone sitting on the couch when going at highway speed. That V-10 is one great decibel generator.

All in all we still like our 2015 Vegas 24-1. We are still making an annual expedition from PA to FL in the fall each year.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:49 AM   #39

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
One more thing...,
Living in Southern California we use & enjoy our outside TV more than any other feature.
Since we added a DISH dome, it’s so convenient and fun
Too bad the outside TV is no longer available on AXIS/VEGAS
We’ve since added the Winegard Trav’ler for DISHnet.
Also, added a fully integrated Inverter & solar since boon-docking is our primary use of the 24.1
Finally, we added HWH hydraulic levelers.

When not in use, we house the Vegas in an RV Barn so it’s out of the elements and hot sun. That way the exterior fiberglass shell doesn’t fade.

The noise of the V10 really doesn’t bother me once we’re at 60mph cruising speed. We know it’ll never be as quiet as a Diesel Pusher.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:57 AM   #40

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
On good paved roads our 24.1 is within a decibel of our stock king ranch.
Bad roads and it's pretty loud.
No rattles(that was a bit of work).

I cut the dash-hole at home before it was needed. Just an overlap of plates, no hinges installed.
I moved the chassis battery so the hole is no longer needed.
No complaints of our 24.1
I wouldn't trade it for a Newell pusher if I had to use that pusher.
About 120(ish) mods to mine so far.

It was a nice start on what we really expected from a 24.1

Ours lives inside, no fade, no vinyl problems, original shower curtain curtains and valances are fine.
38,000 miles.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote